D.C. Area Babies

Who gives their child meds every day?

So, DD has a kidney reflux issue and has to be on a daily mild antibiotic to prevent infections. She's been on them for about a month now and she HATES it. We've tried everything - diluting, sneaking it in food, Pedialyte, formula, breast milk, water - but she tastes it immediately and refuses it. So, we basically have to hold her down every day and she still manages to spit most of it out every time, no matter what we do. Wednesday was the last straw when she vomited her whole breakfast, along with the meds, all over DH after we tried to force it into her. She had her 6 mo. check-up yesterday and her pedi gave us another prescription which she says tastes better so I'll see if we can try and get it in her again somehow but forcing it down her throat with a syringe is nearly impossible now because she knows what's happening and manages to spit it out no matter what. Ugh. And the pedi said she'll have to be on this medicine until she outgrows this reflux issue which may not be until she's 18 months old! Help!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Who gives their child meds every day?

• Hey! I'm going to email you right now. L has the SAME issue. She's been on meds since she was three weeks old...
    Photobucket
  • I hope you have better luck with the new flavor.  I guess we've been lucky - T has been on meds basically since 6 weeks old and has always tolerated it.  (I wonder if it helped that we always referred to them as "fruit punch" and "purple juice" and whether that will backfire on us as she gets older.)
    imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Sorry if this is a dumb question, but are you making sure you aim the syringe into her cheek, and not straight back into her mouth? That will reduce the likelihood of her gagging/vomiting.

Thankfully we don't have to give M meds every day, but he was on antibiotics for almost a month for an ear infection (two rounds, because the first round didn't clear it up) and it was a total nightmare. I feel for you.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Thanks for the sympathy everyone. Claraj, I got your email - good to know we're not the only one.

Yeah, we stick it in her cheek. I think part of the problem is that it's so thick - hoping the new RX is not as thick - so she feels like it gets stuck in her throat? I think she vomited because she was so worked up. So sad. We squirt in such a little bit at a time but at this point she's just averse to the whole process she fights everything. They had to give her an oral vaccine yesterday and, yup, she spit that out too and this was a nurse giving it to her. I think I'm going to just sneak this new medicine into her next bottle and see if she notices. We already put her Vitamin D supplement in her bottle and she's fine with that.

• We are giving DS Claritin as part of his eczema treatment and DH is the med administrator (I'm a nurse IRL haha).  Your DD is younger than DS but he just has so much patience with him.  It was ugly right at first but over time, it has become part of his routine.  We did switch to giving it at bedtime and that goes much better now. We also just used a special med spoon last night that holds the med in the handle and they take it when it tips up. 

Just keep trying! And ditto wines about aiming into the cheek.  Sometimes do half of the dose on one side, and then the other.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We do not have to give DD medicine every day, but I just wanted to add when DD was six months old she HATED medicine - tylenol, the oral vaccine at the doctors, etc.  Now she loves it.  We obviously don't give it to her often, but it we have to give her tylenol or motrin now she obviously thinks it tastes great. Part of it was just her getting used to something other than milk.  Depending on how the new medicine tastes, its possible your DD will get used to it and like it.
  • I was going to suggest using a spoon; maybe an airplane spoon or a regular spoon; you put something in it and take it and go "yummmm, that was sooooo good" and then put her meds in it and give it to her

good luck!!

• can you change the flavor of the medicine?

sprout has always loved medicine.  he sucked down the rotovirus vax the fastest the nurse that was administering it has ever seen.  as soon as he sees the tylenol bottle, he opens his mouth and starts to kick with excitement (we don't give him tylenol really often, don't worry!). 

good luck!  i hope things get easier for the both of you.

• I am sooo jealous of those of you who have kids who LIKE medicine. DD has hated it all from Day 1, including the cherry-flavored Tylenol. I don't know why. I did taste the last medicine she had and, yuck. I wouldn't want to drink that either so I'm sympathetic. Hopefully she'll outgrow it. Thanks for all your advice!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"