May 2011 Moms
Options

I know the general idea is that babies can't sleep too much but...

Lila is sleeping a TON. I'm starting to worry about it. When she is awake she is happy, playful, and perfectly normal, but this child sleeps up to 20 hours a day sometimes.

Yesterday for example, she got home from daycare, ate, and went down for a nap around 4. She slept from 4-6:30, ate again, then went to bed at 8. She woke up at 1:30, ate, then slept until 6ish when she ate again, played for an hour, then went to sleep again. She is currently asleep as I type this.

I am grateful that I have a good sleeper but I'm not sure if this is something to address with her doctor or quit dwelling on.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: I know the general idea is that babies can't sleep too much but...

• Options
    Hmmm, I'd be concerned.  There are sleep limitations at this age.  3-4 hours of daytime sleep and 10-12 hours at night. She's not a newborn any longer, so that much sleep might be an issue.  The reason I'd be concerned is she needs time during the day to develop new skills. Tummy time, floor time, time in the exersaucer...if she is sleeping all of the time, then she is not getting that time during the day to work on those things. I'd address it with your pedi for sure.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My older daughter slept 20-22 hours a day for the first 18 months of her life. It was awful. The Dr ran several sleep studies on her, but never found an issue.

As it turned out, she had some major congenital lung defects, lung tumors, and wasn't breathing properly. I don't at all think there is anything like that wrong with your baby (she was only the 4th documented case of her particular condition), but I would bring up the excessive sleep at the next pedi appt. They might want to do a sleep study.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"