C-sections
Options

Moms who had a planned 2nd c-section

Not sure exactly where to post this, here or VBAC

Were you told that after 2 c-sections you can't try for a VBAC?

With DD my water broke, they needed pit to make me contract, I stalled at 4cm for16 hours and ended with an emergency c-section.

We were scheduled for a c-section on 7-29 but I had discussed with my OB the idea of if I went early to sit it out and see what I did.  On 7/28 my water broke. They hooked me up to check the contractions. I didn't have a single one the entire time and my cervix showed no progress so back to the c-section it was for me.

I would like the option to attempt with any future children but was told while scheduling DS's c-section that after two I'm not allowed. I was wondering if this a universal rule, or specific to my hospital.

BFP #1 10/28/09 EDD 06/24/10- Miscarriage 11/2/09
BFP #2 11/30/09 EDD 08/12/10- Sophia Grace born 8/1/10
BFP #3 11/16/10 EDD 08/04/11- Samuel Richard born 7/28/11
BFP #4 01/04/12 EDD 09/19/12- Simon Nathaniel born 9/6/12
BFP #5 03/27/13 EDD 11/25/13- Savannah Lee born 11/18/13

Re: Moms who had a planned 2nd c-section

• Options

Specific to your hospital or your doctor.  

It's not a universal policy.  I know my doctor won't allow me to VBA2C, but I have a doc in mind who will let me -- assuming that everything looks good down there. 

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My OBs won't allow me to attempt a VBAC after two sections.  I tried for a VBAC with my second and needed another emergency c-section.  Both of my babies were in distress and had big dips in their heart rates during my contractions.  I did go into labor on my own with each of them and made it to 10cm but with my second the OB on call who did my c-section said I had a uterine tear/rupture and advised me that my uterus was never allowed to feel another contraction.....so next time around it'll be a RCS for me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageisacdimi10:

With DD my water broke, they needed pit to make me contract, I stalled at 4cm for16 hours and ended with an emergency c-section.

We were scheduled for a c-section on 7-29 but I had discussed with my OB the idea of if I went early to sit it out and see what I did.  On 7/28 my water broke. They hooked me up to check the contractions. I didn't have a single one the entire time and my cervix showed no progress so back to the c-section it was for me.

I would like the option to attempt with any future children but was told while scheduling DS's c-section that after two I'm not allowed. I was wondering if this a universal rule, or specific to my hospital.

My sister had two c-sections and had a VBAC with my midwife for her 3rd. It can most certainly safely be done. You would probably have more chance of sucess with a midwife though. Good luck to your future births! 

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    It wasn't something I was really willing to try (a VBAC after two c-sections) because I'm too nervous about something going wrong, and when I brought this up to my OB she agreed with me.  I don't know if she "wouldn't let me" because our conversation never went that way.
    Jen Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    my ob practice wont allow a vbac after 2 c/s
  • Options
    imageisacdimi10:

This is NOT a universal rule.  In fact a little over a year ago the ACOG released guidelines that state the VBA2C is safe in most circumstances.  I don't have the specific release with me at work, but here is a link to an article

https://www.acog.org/from_home/publications/press_releases/nr07-21-10-1.cfm

Obviously, a doctor can choose to be more cautious, but I would ask your doctor why the choose to now follow the ACOG guidelines and if you do want to attempt a VBA2C, I would find another provider.

• Options
    I don't know what my OBs policy about that. I know that I have to have repeat c/s because of my vertical incision from my first c/s at 28w.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options
    At the hospital I work at as well as where I delivered won't let you VBAC after you've had a second c/s.  Unless under crazy circumstances you got to the hospital and you were complete and ready to deliver.  I've seen that once...I'm an L&D nurse. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagefool4babe:
    imageisacdimi10:

My sister had two c-sections and had a VBAC with my midwife for her 3rd. It can most certainly safely be done. You would probably have more chance of sucess with a midwife though. Good luck to your future births! 

A certified nurse midwife would not/should not VBAC with a patient who had 2 c/s, or even 1 c/s for that matter.  It's very risky and really not considered safe by many, many practitioners.  Now, a lay midwife would, some even do VBAC's at home with patients.  Definitely NOT safe by any means in my book!  I'm glad your sister didn't end up with any complications.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    So far my OBs seem open to it.  No idea if the hospital allows it yet, I have to get more clarification.  But, I'm not sure if they even allowed if it would be a good option for me.
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options
    imagemrsseguin:
    imagefool4babe:
    imageisacdimi10:

A certified nurse midwife would not/should not VBAC with a patient who had 2 c/s, or even 1 c/s for that matter.  It's very risky and really not considered safe by many, many practitioners.  Now, a lay midwife would, some even do VBAC's at home with patients.  Definitely NOT safe by any means in my book!  I'm glad your sister didn't end up with any complications.  

The ACOG does not agree with this statement.  ACOG Practice Bulletin 115, issued just last year flat out states that women who have had 2 previous c/s should be permitted a TOL.  Yes, there are risks, but they are not unsafe.  Frankly, I'm kind of appalled that a L&D nurse would be giving such misinformation. And yes, there are hospitals who do not allow VBA2C, and I find that appalling as well.

• Options
    In my various discussions with my OB/MW practice about VBAC vs. RCS (I am pretty sure I will have an RCS but have a hard time committing), one of my OBs told me if I have a second c/s, I will not be able to VBAC after that.  I don't know if that's the practice's policy, or the hospital's, or both, but I know it's not universal.  If I did do a VBAC this time, either an OB or a MW would deliver the baby, depending on who was attending births at the time I went into labor.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • Options

I was told by my last OB that I shouldn't try for a VBAC after a 2nd c/s.  I have a new OB (we moved to a different state) and VBAC wasn't even considered once he saw I had 2 c/s... But I am also having twins this time, so that might have had something to do with it as well. 

My 2nd c/s was planned as I had no desire to do a VBAC and felt that with my situation it would have ended in a c/s anyways.  My former OB confirmed that and we never discussed it again. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Are you just a glutton for punishment or what?  Why would you keep putting yourself through that? 
  • Options
    A lot depends on malpractice insurance policies too. Many companies won't insure a doc who allows vbac2, unless the woman has had a vaginal delivery in between.

I personally wouldn't risk it - each csection/surgery usually causes more scar tissue, so it's harder to get the baby out urgently if there is a problem. So even though the risks of rupture may be similar, the other complications increase.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"