TTC After a Loss 6 Months+

The clinics responded...

I finally recieved a response from both of the clinics I emailed last week.

For your reading pleasure:

Clinic 1's response:

Hi Rawr08,

We received your email.  We do not refuse to see or start testing on people due to their weight.  We do want you to be fully aware of how being overweight  can affect your fertility success and affect certain risk factors during pregnancy as well.  In some cases, if your BMI (Body Mass Index) is above a certain level, and you are doing In-Vitro, we would have to consider performing the egg retrieval in the hospital OR instead of our facility in the clinic.  This information is very general because we don?t know more about you. We would be happy to see you too discuss the things that pertain to you and your situation.  If you have further questions, please contact me at the number below, or if you would like to schedule an appointment with a doctor, you can call the main desk

Clinic 2's response:

Dear Rawr08:

Thank you so much for your e-mail. I would be happy to help you achieve pregnancy. I have worked with many overweight patients before. The problem is that when you are overweight,your reproductive function is compromised. Ovulation induction becomes difficult. The success rates in IVF also fall. That does not mean it is impossible. I promise not to give you a hard time about your weight. I have struggled with weight issues myself, all of my life, so I get it.

Do give us a call 

Kindest regards and best wishes

So what do you think?  Which would you be more inclined to call?  Earlier in the week I was thinking we would wait until after the Holidays to get in contact with a RE again.  I would like to *try* to lose some weight, plus DH and I have a 14 hour road trip planned for Christmas...

WWYD?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
??? TTCAL Buddies w/ BabyTrippin & CashewsMommy ???
1st BFP = m/c 4.21.08 @ 7W5D (and divorce)
TTC #1 since 6.10
SA #1=Agglutination SA #2= Everything perfect
HSG= All clear & perfect
Currently learning to live Child Free
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
?My NTNP Chart! ?My Blog!?Follow Me on Pinterest
CLICK to give care & food to animals in need -
?Big Girls have babies too!?
??Success/pregnant after everything welcome - FHs need not apply??

Re: The clinics responded...

• Hmm, that's a hard choice. I think though, that I'd want someone who went THROUGH my struggles so that they can understand them better.

I think.

Maybe.

I think.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagewickedsugar:
    Glad you got positive responses ! They both sound good, one is looking at it more clinically, the other more personal, I would meet with both, get a vibe/feeling, then go from there.

OOh GOOD advice, meet with them both and THEN decide.

DUH, SMACE.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagewickedsugar:
    Glad you got positive responses ! They both sound good, one is looking at it more clinically, the other more personal, I would meet with both, get a vibe/feeling, then go from there.

Why the EFF didn't I think of that!?  LMAO!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    ??? TTCAL Buddies w/ BabyTrippin & CashewsMommy ???
    1st BFP = m/c 4.21.08 @ 7W5D (and divorce)
    TTC #1 since 6.10
    SA #1=Agglutination SA #2= Everything perfect
    HSG= All clear & perfect
    Currently learning to live Child Free
    ?My NTNP Chart! ?My Blog!?Follow Me on Pinterest
    CLICK to give care & food to animals in need -
    ?Big Girls have babies too!?
    ??Success/pregnant after everything welcome - FHs need not apply??
  • I'm so glad you got good responses from both!!!  I agree with the plan to visit both and follow your intuition from there :)  GL!

PGAL/PAL welcome

Trying to start our family since 2010
    BFP #1 11.4.10, EDD 7.12.11, HB 12/9/10, MMC 12/27/10; 11w6d
    BFP #2 9.12.12, EDD 5.24.13, Baby Boy Born 5.15.13!!
    My Ovulation Chart
    3 Clomid (100mg) cycles + TI + Trigger = BFN's, Femara + Trigger + IUI#1 = BFN
    Femara + Trigger + IUI#2 = BFP!
    "Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." ~Gandhi
  • I agree with PP. One sounds a little more professional and one sounds a little more personal. I wouldn't necessarily dismiss either of them from the emails alone. However, I know that most fertility clinics (at least in my area) charge upwards of $200 for an initial visit. So I'd probably go for an interview with the second respondee. If I didn't like them or was still unsure then I'd go for an appt with the first respondee.

I think that the first sounds like they're being responsible in considering the medical and reproductive implications of being overweight. But they also might have more of a "so lose the weight and then we'll talk" attitude. The second sounded a lot more reasonable about it. I got more of a "being overweight isn't ideal, but realistically things aren't going to change. So let's work with what we've got!" feeling from them. Either one sounds like they're already head and shoulders above your last place, though!

GL and let us know which one you choose!

• I'm so glad you got responses, and positive ones at that!  I agree with wicked.  But without meeting with them, I'd be inclined towards the one who mentioned they've had they're own struggles.  They could be more compassionate, but also encouraging without making you feel belittled. GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Just from reading the emails, I like #1 better. The tone of the email is just more...coherent and professional. But I agree it would be ideal to meet with both and go from there. Also, look online for reviews of both clinics/doctors.

I do like that they both recognize that weight problems can be an issue without blowing it out of proportion. They both mention nothing more than simply complications that could arise, as opposed to what the first doc you saw said. 

• I'm glad they both responded, I agree to make an appt with both.

Jenn

image 3 IUI's all BFN

IVF#1 BFN IVF#2 BFP, loss at 19 weeks FET#1 BFN IVF#3 BFP, m/c FET#2 BFN

Missing our twins Zachary and Madison, lost at 19 weeks on 11/13/09, edd 4/9/10

BFP 7/17/10, m/c 7/25/10, edd 3/25/11

Ectopic, lost left tube 4/20/11, edd 12/6/11

my blog

• imagewickedsugar:

This is the best idea! I would personally go with clinic #2, but I am so glad you got positive responses from both. GL!!

• imagewickedsugar:

ITA - If you can, I would try to meet with both and see which one you like better.  I am so glad that they both responded and I hope you are able to figure out which one is the best for you!

Mom to Eliott Alexander, born sleeping at 37 weeks on 8/13/10. Most of us only dream of angels - I held one in my arms.
    BFP #2 - EDD 2/26/12 M/C 6/28/11 @ 5w2d
    BFP #3 - EDD 4/7/12 M/C 8/2/11 @ 4w2d
    Too beautiful for this earth
    BFP #4 - EDD 12/09/12, Lucille arrived 11/26/12
  • I would definately meet with both just to see which vibe you liked more. Personally based on emails I would chose the 2nd one, they seem more personal.
  • imagewickedsugar:

This. Schedule a get to know you consult meeting with both and see which one you click with. 

• imageheathergirl67:

I agree with PP. One sounds a little more professional and one sounds a little more personal. I wouldn't necessarily dismiss either of them from the emails alone. However, I know that most fertility clinics (at least in my area) charge upwards of $200 for an initial visit. So I'd probably go for an interview with the second respondee. If I didn't like them or was still unsure then I'd go for an appt with the first respondee.

I think that the first sounds like they're being responsible in considering the medical and reproductive implications of being overweight. But they also might have more of a "so lose the weight and then we'll talk" attitude. The second sounded a lot more reasonable about it. I got more of a "being overweight isn't ideal, but realistically things aren't going to change. So let's work with what we've got!" feeling from them. Either one sounds like they're already head and shoulders above your last place, though!

GL and let us know which one you choose!

I agree, this seems like a good game plan. 

The Blog

Dinner.Hard life?

The brothers I Rule and OMG! with their faithful sidekickFootFoot.

imageimageimage

My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot.
  • I am so, so glad that you got some good responses!!!  They both sound great and I agree that if you can meet with both I would do that to get a better feel for them. 
  • Are you OOP or does insurance cover your IVF?  The reason I ask is because I would possibly meet with both of them.  I think it is VERY important to find an RE that not only has a good reputation, but one who you also feel comfortable.  I feel like both e-mails are good responses, but maybe you would mess better with one than the other.  Good luck :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers DoriBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That is awesome!!! 

I agree that you should set up a sit down with both of them, really get a feel for each practice and make your decision based on that!! But yay!! This is great news!!  

BFP#1 {Cashew} - 9.19.09 EDD 5.26.10
    The day you first lay in my arms, you made my life complete.
    Aurora Rose born sleeping at 35w on 4-21-10
    BFP#2 {Almond} - 2.1.11 EDD 10.12.11 C/P 2.11.11

• Agree with everyone above about meeting with them both.  It is interesting to how different the replies are, though they are both saying basically the same thing.  Good luck, hon!  
  • I'm also in the camp of meet with both of them. I just don't think you can make an informed decision otherwise.

That said, I'd be more comfortable with the first one, but I'm much more of a clinical & professional type of girl. I don't like touchy-feely hand-holding.

Also, where are both of the clinics in relation to you? Because early morning monitoring appointments can be a real drag if you're sitting in traffic for an extra hour or so.

12 long, hard years of TTC-
    Miscarriages, losses, lots of treatments & drugs & IVF

Natural BFP (WTF?!) - 06/04/11 ~ lots of complication and drama, but sweet baby Adele born 02/07/12!

BFP #million -another girl for us! EDD - 05-08-15 (but will come early)

• Finding  a Dr you are comfortable with is hard.  I would go for #2, but I like more of a personal touch.  Also the advice about meeting them in person is right on.  GL.  I hope you find someone who works best for you. 
    Forever buddy to Angelica; Natural Miscarriage Jan. 2008 @ 11 weeks; 2 years of BFFN's; DX: Unexplained IF (RE thinks IF is due to tubal issues); IUI #1 & 2= BFFN; IUI#3 = BFP, resulted in Cornual ectopic pregnancy; IUI #4 - 6 =BFFN; Our next endeavor... IVF. 1 grade AA embryo transferred on 4-23-2011 and 5 frosties. BFP Abby born 1/5/2012

imageimageimage
  • I'm glad you got some positive responses from both!  Sounds like they both would be good.  I know I picked my doctor that I have now because she struggled with some IF issues herself so I felt that she would be more understanding than my previous doctor and she has been.  Good luck!

image image imageimageimage  

CFNBC after 8 losses and IF || History || My Angel Babies

• Oh yay, these responses me so happy for you. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"