May 2011 Moms
Options

joined the mommy mafia

I resigned from my job today.  Best decision I have ever made, as soon as I told my boss I felt like a huge weight was lifted from my shoulders. :)

A novel on the blog coming soon, haha.  I've been preparing a blog post in my head for weeks.

Re: joined the mommy mafia

• Options
    Congrats!! I'm glad you're happy!
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Glad that went well for you.  Relief is the best feeling in the world. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That's awesome! Congratulations!
    Logan Alexander born May 9th 2011. He has stolen my heart forever. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #2 05/24/12 EDD 01/31/13 D&C 06/26/12 Missing you. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Diagnosed with Ashermans 11/06/12 Surgery 01/18/13, Cleared for TTC 03/01/13 BFP 03/26/13 IT'S A BOY! Please Be Our Rainbow! BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    Congrats.  I remember when I did that, it felt so good.
    Children should be seen, and heard, and believed. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    congrats to not only you but Georgia as well :)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    congrats. are you still going to get that bonus that you had to go back for? 

Anniversary

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Yes Good for you!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Congrats on becoming a SAHM. Didn't you work in Finance? I've always wanted to ask you what aspect.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • Options

imagemeimsx:
    Congrats on becoming a SAHM. Didn't you work in Finance? I've always wanted to ask you what aspect.

I'm a CPA, I did (nice...past tense!) financial reporting (SEC and other statutory requirements all over the world, literally) for a large company.  I worked in Petroleum.

• Options

imageJUSTBEYOURSELF:
    congrats. are you still going to get that bonus that you had to go back for? 

Yes!!!

• Options
    imagepook:

imagemeimsx:

I'm a CPA, I did (nice...past tense!) financial reporting (SEC and other statutory requirements all over the world, literally) for a large company.  I worked in Petroleum.

Ah, I've always wondered because I work in finance too. I work as a licensing coordinator for a broker dealer. Fun times. I get to help people register with FINRA and help them get appointed with the different insurance companies. I enjoy it. Doesn't your hubs work in finance as well?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

Meimsx no more
  • Options
    imagemeimsx:
    imagepook:

imagemeimsx:

Ah, I've always wondered because I work in finance too. I work as a licensing coordinator for a broker dealer. Fun times. I get to help people register with FINRA and help them get appointed with the different insurance companies. I enjoy it. Doesn't your hubs work in finance as well?

No, he is an engineer.  Don't we sound like the most fun couple, an accountant and an engineer? I bet you want to hang out with us now!!

• Options
    imagepook:
    imagemeimsx:
    imagepook:

imagemeimsx:

No, he is an engineer.  Don't we sound like the most fun couple, an accountant and an engineer? I bet you want to hang out with us now!!

Lol, we're the same type of people. So YES! DH is an english major but I dated a couple of engineers so yeah...

Meimsx no more
  • Options
    If you ever go back, you need my kind of hours/job.  I love it so damn much.  I work with all guys, in construction and when I wear skinny jeans and flats to work they ask me why I got dressed up. haha! So different from my public days. (well, minus the boys club :/

• Options

imageLisa Frank:
    If you ever go back, you need my kind of hours/job.  I love it so damn much.  I work with all guys, in construction and when I wear skinny jeans and flats to work they ask me why I got dressed up. haha! So different from my public days. (well, minus the boys club :/

I definitely can't go back in the capacity I was. Last summer I worked from 6 or 7 until past midnight a few times, most of the time until 10 pm.  That was fine at the time, I wanted to do anything to keep my mind off the fact that we didn't have a baby yet.  Once I got pregnant, I cut back to 50-60 hours a week when my doctor didn't make me SAH.  This summer my coworkers told me there were mostly 15 hour days. The $$$ just isn't worth it to me anymore, when I wouldn't get to see my LO.

I really want to just do some bookkeeping for a few local businesses (I have a few friends who have their own) and then later do some contract work a few days a week.  Like just work Tues Wed Thurs. 

• Options
    imagepook:

imageLisa Frank:

I definitely can't go back in the capacity I was. Last summer I worked from 6 or 7 until past midnight a few times, most of the time until 10 pm.  That was fine at the time, I wanted to do anything to keep my mind off the fact that we didn't have a baby yet.  Once I got pregnant, I cut back to 50-60 hours a week when my doctor didn't make me SAH.  This summer my coworkers told me there were mostly 15 hour days. The $$$ just isn't worth it to me anymore, when I wouldn't get to see my LO.

I really want to just do some bookkeeping for a few local businesses (I have a few friends who have their own) and then later do some contract work a few days a week.  Like just work Tues Wed Thurs. 

I'm still making decent-ish $$ although my H has finally surpassed me as the breadmaker <3  I forfeited a raise when I returned (after 12 weeks PAID leave, with both kids!) for more flex time. So, I work M, T, W 1/2 day, Th, Fri OFF.  Before I just had Fri. off. That extra half day is the best.  I only work like 8:30-3:30 on the days I'm there full time. I did it right with this place. I waited 4 years to get pregnant because I knew he would be awesome if I had put in my time for those few years.  He has a family of his own, is young and it's just a really great environment for me.  I commute 25 min, and that's the cruddiest part (especially in the winter) but he gets it.  And that makes all the difference for me.  

• Options

Oh wow, that is a really great situation! I think the key is finding a smaller company that can and is willing to be flexible.  I've worked only for large corporations and they can't do X for me b/c then they'd have to do it for everyone who asked.  I just finished my fifth year right before maternity leave.  I did get four months paid though, and they let me keep my bonus which, without getting into specifics, was EXTREMELY generous of them.  My bosses were incredibly flexible with all of my bedrest and I really respected the people I worked for. 

I was sad I had to leave, although I always knew I wanted to SAH.  And I was also at the point with the company where I needed to step it up and move up the ladder or I was never going anywhere.  I knew I wouldn't be able to commit to my job with a LO at home.

I would looove a setup like yours! 

• Options
    Oh, I guess that girl commenting on my FB was looking for a job @ my company but didn't know I worked there! We have a mutual friend who works there.
  • Options
    Congrats. I wish I could do that.
    31, married mom of 3 Step mom to 1

baby>
  • Options
    Congrats!! I have been slowly parring down my hours at work so I can ease into becoming a SAHM. It's very scary but exciting. Enjoy! :-D
  • Options

I am so happy for you.  From one (almost) CPA to another who stays at home with the kiddo, have no regrets!  Financial reporting is excuciating hours, as my husband is still stuck in that world.

Not strange your husband is an engineer - I find most accountants marry either other accountants or engineers.  Its a chip from the same block.  Mathmatical, predictable and somewhat lucrative.  While some people might find it boring, I find finance parties harder than anyone else around (other than waiters/waitresses/bartenders - they REALLY get down).

I too hope to do some part time this and that.  Once I finish my CPA I figure I can do a little bookkeeping, a little taxes, maybe some teaching.  Whatever works with MY schedule.  Its a wonderfully flexible career that way, assuming you stay out of corporate.

You are going to love it.  Best of luck to you :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"