Hawaii Babies
Options

SLEEP!

A is a terrible sleeper during the day. He'll sleep for maybe 30-45 minutes at a time. I swear at 45 minutes on the dot, his eyes fly open and he starts fussing. Usually I'll see if he'll take a paci and some patting/shushing first (which he usually spits out after he falls asleep, then he wakes up again). If he continues to fuss, I'll pick him up and rock him back to sleep. Then he'll sleep for another 30-45 minutes. Rinse and repeat. This goes on for HOURS during the day. I can tell that he is tired but he just will. not. sleep.

He sleeps decently at night, his first stretch is usually 4 hours, then 3.5 and 2.5. But even in the mornings he yawns and seems tired, but when I put him down it'll only be for 45 minutes! I start soothing him about 50-60 minutes after he wakes up otherwise he just won't go down.

How can I get him to sleep longer during the day? Or am I just destined to have a baby that doesn't nap? Does it get better later? I'm afraid that when I go back to work, our DCP won't have time to soothe him so much or do the pick up put down routine that I am currently doing all day (she has another 3yo she watches). Then we'll have a REALLY cranky baby every evening :(

cai(o)&cullen+ahk
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: SLEEP!

• Options

Girl, I feel your pain! 

As you saw in my previous post about EASY, I'm in the same boat.  This morning I tried his nap in the crib and he slept for 30 minutes.  He is down for his second nap already (in his crib) and so far it's been 20 minutes..we will see how long it lasts.  Usually at 45 minutes on the dot he is awake :(

I'll be curious to see others responses as I am of no help on this subject ;)

| Olowalu, Maui ~ August 6, 2008 |
    | Family of 4 ~ April 2, 2011 |
    | Family of 5 - October 24, 2012 |
  • Options

I have no great advice, as I have a child who still does not STTN. A was always a pretty good napper, but he never slept longer than an hour until he transitioned to one nap a day around 15 months.

Maybe just keep encouraging him to sleep in the manner that you want -- e.g., keep him in the crib and if he needs soothing, try offering the least amount of intervention necessary (paci or patting, but maybe not picking up unless absolutely necessary) until he falls back asleep. Also, it's tempting to intervene at first peep, and I did that way too much, but I think sometimes they need a little bit of time to try to figure things out, and sometimes they'll surprise you by working it out after a little bit of frustrated fussing. Even now, I wish I had a video monitor so I could see when I really need to go in and soothe him vs. when I'm just on auto-pilot, walking like a zombie, and not even giving him a chance. GL!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    FYI...this second nap he just took...45 MINUTES!  I tried going in and patting him and putting his paci back in.  All he does is take it out and throw the covers off of him and roll around.  Right now he is talking and thinks it's play time.  In 5 minutes he will be in bed for an hour so I guess I will just take him out...so frustrating!
    | Olowalu, Maui ~ August 6, 2008 |
    | Family of 4 ~ April 2, 2011 |
    | Family of 5 - October 24, 2012 |
  • Options

imageMauiBride2008:
    FYI...this second nap he just took...45 MINUTES!  I tried going in and patting him and putting his paci back in.  All he does is take it out and throw the covers off of him and roll around.  Right now he is talking and thinks it's play time.  In 5 minutes he will be in bed for an hour so I guess I will just take him out...so frustrating!

I'm impressed by babies who actually stay put in the crib while awake! My guy never has... he's either asleep (or very close to it) in there or crying to get out. :(

Good luck!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Do you have a Moby wrap or something?  That was the only way Kaya slept for the first couple months.  Or in her bouncer or swing.  Oh, and white noise.  We got a white noise app on our phones and played it constantly when she was asleep.  It helps drown out other noise.  I think we used it for about 6 months.  We still keep the humidifier fan on in her room when she sleeps now (because she's a super light sleeper). 

It's possible he may not be a good napper, ever, or he could be great.  My girl has never been a great napper.  Ever.  It's never been consistent.  Could be our fault because we don't have her on a strict schedule.  Yesterday she was quiet for 10-15 minutes then babbled for 45 before MH went in to get her.  She did fall asleep in the car later, though. 

That's awesome that he's already doing a 4 hour stretch at night.  I would have died for that when she was a newborn.  I don't think she slept that long until about 3 months.  Now she's a great nighttime sleeper (11-13 hours, up to 15 if she's jet lagged) but the naps are a constant struggle.

• Options

sorry, no advice from me either.  E never napped longer than 30-45 min by himself until we transitioned to 2 naps, and even now, he'll do one longer nap and 1 short nap.  sigh.  but he's a good night sleeper.

eta: E napped either in the moby or the car for at least the first 1.5 months, until we transitioned him to the crib.  i'm pretty sure he never, ever, ever took 2 hour naps though, even before then

• Options
    imagelola808:

imageMauiBride2008:

I'm impressed by babies who actually stay put in the crib while awake! My guy never has... he's either asleep (or very close to it) in there or crying to get out. :(

Good luck!

Mine, too!  This morning when she woke up she was saying "mom" "dad" or "down" over and over.  Then when I got right outside her door I hear her saying "no nap" over and over.  LOL.

• Options
    imageSanHawaii08:

E never napped longer than 30-45 min by himself until we transitioned to 2 naps

This was us, too. They were 45min-1hr nappers for a loooooong time and had a very regular 3 hour routine that they liked. It did eventually get better as they got older and transitioned to 2 naps, for for months it was short naps only. Swaddling helped - not sure if you do that?

• Options
    as you can see from all the responses, it's pretty common for them to only sleep 30-60 min for each nap.  they are napping several times/day and that helps to make up for it.  is it bad that i don't remember anymore how long A was napping at that point?  i think if you add up all the nap time with all the overnight sleeping, if he is getting the total amount of recommended sleep, then he should be ok.  i know you always WANT them to take long naps but i think when they are taking 3-4 naps/day it's normal for them to be shorter and when they go to 3 naps/day sometimes they'll get longer but even older babies that nap just 2x/day still sometimes only nap an hour.  some babies just don't nap that much and sleep more at night.  that's why i think you should add up the total hours and see where he's at....
  • Options

imagemrspresley:
    as you can see from all the responses, it's pretty common for them to only sleep 30-60 min for each nap.  

This! I didn't realize it. I thought it was my kid... but we've been adding it up and it comes to around 14ish hours a day, so I guess we are "okay". He really does seem constantly overtired though :(

imageredshoegirl:

Swaddling helped - not sure if you do that?

We do swaddle him... I almost feel bad because he's almost always swaddled since most of my day is spent trying to soothe/put him back down! Is that bad? Can you swaddle too much? 

cai(o)&cullen+ahk
  • Options

imagesanae78:
    This morning when she woke up she was saying "mom" "dad" or "down" over and over.  Then when I got right outside her door I hear her saying "no nap" over and over.  LOL.

the lack of sleep can be infuriating, but then they do something like this which is just so cute you can't help but laugh!  hehe

• Options
    imageSanHawaii08:

imagesanae78:
    This morning when she woke up she was saying "mom" "dad" or "down" over and over.  Then when I got right outside her door I hear her saying "no nap" over and over.  LOL.

the lack of sleep can be infuriating, but then they do something like this which is just so cute you can't help but laugh!  hehe

this!  they are so lucky they are cute!!!! hehehe

• Options
    imageMrsNJSwimmer:
    imageSanHawaii08:

imagesanae78:

this!  they are so lucky they are cute!!!! hehehe

True, to a point.  LOL.  I would give my right arm for my girl to take a 2-3 hour nap every day.  It's hard to keep your sanity when you have to chase them around for nearly 12 hours straight.

• Options
    imagestargirl76:

imageredshoegirl:

Swaddling helped - not sure if you do that?

We do swaddle him... I almost feel bad because he's almost always swaddled since most of my day is spent trying to soothe/put him back down! Is that bad? Can you swaddle too much? 

You probably can, but I doubt you are. Smile I do know the feeling though - I felt like my guys spent the majority of their time wrapped up! But of course, newborns do spend the majority of their time sleeping, so it's OK. Smile

What are you using for swaddling? Blankets? Miracle Blanket? Woombie? If you're using - for example - a Miracle Blanket and it isn't helping a ton, you could try a Woombie and see if he prefers that (it allows a bit more movement but is still contained, and some kids prefer it). 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"