2nd Trimester
Options

Why do pregnant women cut their hair?

Throughout the years I have noticed that most of my friends cut their hair short while they were pregnant (a bob or something). I always said I wouldnt do it because I love my long hair, but I just did it today (and I am loving it). I am just curious, did anyone here noticed the same thing (with themselves or people they know)?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Why do pregnant women cut their hair?

• Options

I remember when I was pregnant with my DD, there was a discussion on here about this.

The theory is two-fold: Pregnant women get sick of dealing with their hair, and they also fear that they won't have any time to maintain their longer hair after the baby is born.

I didn't jump on the cutting hair bandwagon. I just pulled it back into a pony when DD was a newborn and not sleeping.

I didn't cut it until recently, and that was just for a change.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyName Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    For me, it was mainly the hormones. It was way too hot, my hair was unmanageable and not suitable in my eyes. So I did it to keep cool mainly and to feel better about myself. I had really long hair too, it was almost to the middle of my back when I had it cut. My husband about died. I had layers put in it. The longest layer is at the top of my shoulder  blades. But I loved it. It felt so much better. I also did the same thing when I was pregnant with my DD. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I did it with DS#1.  I just got an itch for something different and wanted it to be short.  I don't know why I thought my hair would be easier to take care of.  It's unruly and requires a flat iron.  It ended up being more work.  I grew it back out ASAP! This time I cut off about 5 inches, but my hair is so long it really wasn't that noticeable. I'll just be getting trims from here on out because I want my Denise Richards hair back already.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Total opposite for me. I usually wear short hair, but my face is looking all puffy  pregnant, so I decided to keep some lenght and grow it out.
  • Options

My mom had very long, thick hair but cut it when short because it was much easier to manage once she had two kids.  She never grew it out again.  However, most of my close friends that have kids have kept their hair long (between mid-back & shoulder length).  I'll probably keep my hair long too, but only because I haven't found a short cut that works for me.

• Options
    I hacked all mine off when I was pregnant in 2007.  It was heavy and hot and I get terrible migraines.  I really liked it alot and had fun with short hair.  This time around I've kept it long so far.  It's cute short, but pretty long and right now I'm feeling fat and I'd rather be pretty than cute.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    I always wondered the same thing....now I'm 19 weeks and keep asking people if I should cut my hair. It's taken me 2 years to grow it out long...and now I'm toying with the idea of cutting it?! Makes no sense, especially since I have no clue why I want to cut it. Sorry I didn't answer your question, but I can totally relate to the women who want to cut theirs. 
  • Options

I haven't cut my hair in 2 years-ish, so I need a change! Plus, I've noticed while babysitting my 3 month old neice that my hair (even up!) is a problem, and gets pulled on whenever there is a chance.

I'll probably look better post-labor with shorter hair too. My hair is a major PITA when it comes to tangles/brushing, because of how long it has gotten.

DS #1 - 12/10/11

DS #2 - 4/2/14

• Options
    I had cut my hair right before getting pg with my first daughter so I was growing it out but it was still short.  I have pretty long hair know....covers my boob...and I got it cut 2 inches but I really wanna go shorter.  I feel like the long hair weighs me down when I'm already feeling weighted :)  But... this is dumb, but I just wanna look different this pregnancy from the last so I think I'm going to keep it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I thought about doing it, but I don't want to have to deal with growing it back out. The only reason I considered doing it is because I'll be pregnant fat, not fat fat. I have this absurd idea that only skinny women can pull off the cute pixey look (I have secretly coveted this look for as long as I can remember but have never been skinny enough to pull it off) and since I'm pregnant I might actually have the self esteem to try it. Oh, and second I also think long hair is feminine but being pregnant is the ultimate feminine thing so..... it balances out?

Sorry for the absurd rant, I'm in a weird space and I've actually been think about that lately....

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I got my hair cut two days before going into labor because 1) it needed it and 2) I didnt want to deal with it being as long as it was. I didnt get it cut too short, it was still past my shoulders.
  • Options
    I have always wondered this too! Or they cut their hair into 'mommy' hair..a short do'..i will never do that!
    Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I didn't when I was pg with DS (already had an A-line bob), but I just chopped it further to a pixie cut a couple months ago.  I just got antsy for a change!
  • Options
    oh i did that when i was pregnant with son who is 4yrs old now, i could not stand my hair it was always frizzy and so hot!! i couldnt stand it so i decided to cut it and i felt such a relieve especially when my son would pull my mom's hair i was thank god i cut my hair! lol>
  • Options
    I cut my hair off usually in the first trimester cause when anything touches my neck or throat I threw up. I grow it out the rest of the pregnancy. With my DD I chopped it off thinking it would be easier to deal with, it really wasn't much easier. So with this pregnancy I'm going to try to grow it out so I can throw it back in a ponytail to keep it out of my face during labor and postpardum
  • Options
    I cut my hair very early on. I had been wanting to do it since Feb and in July I finally cut it all off. Part of it was a need to change, and the other part was that my hair was falling out like crazy and I figured that clumps of short hair would be less nasty than clumps of looooong hair. That all being said, I hate my new haircut and I wish so badly that I had my long hair back. :(
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicTTC #1 since April '11.- BFP 7/3/11! - EDD 3/13/12 - Dean born 3/15/12! - Lovely Labor Buddies with PsychGirl33!! <3 </br> Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I had my hair "maintenance trimmed" at the start of the PG - only issue is, my hair has gotten SO much curlier that it's now shorter than it was when I had the trim done because the curls have tightened it up so much!!! 
  • Options

imagemooshagirl:
    I didn't have a problem managing long hair while I was pregnant, it was once I had a baby that knew how to grab on to hair that made me decide to cut it. But, now that she's not a baby I'm growing it out again. Just in time to chop it off when the new baby comes, lol!

This is me - until she hit about 2 months, I was fine pulling it back in a ponytail all the time. Then she started tugging it, and I was going back to work and feeling like a frump, so I chopped it. Now I don't feel like maintaining a style, so I am back to growing it out.

image        image
  • Options

I have had really short pixie hair for over 16 years. I finally grew it out this summer long enough to pull it back. Debating what to do. I want to keep it this length through our beach vacation next week, but after that I may be chopping it off. I hate when its long enough to touch my neck too much so I will NOT wear it down when it is this long... Kind of pointless to have long hair if I only wear it up?

• Options

The girl who does my hair refused to cut mine with my first.  I am a ponytail (wet most days) kind of person and she knew I would hate not being able to pull it back so she declined.  

She says she things short hair takes longer to style in the end as well.  

• Options
    I'm actually growing my hair out so I can pull it into a ponytail when baby arrives. I normally have a bob with bangs which requires me to blow dry every morning. As it grows out, I'll still have to blow dry at least my bangs, but the rest I can just pull back if I want to... MUCH easier for me! Plus, longer hair gives you more style options in my opinion so I am looking forward to that for once... I've had short hair for almost 10 years now.
    Elliot | 3.7.12 | 7lbs 8.5oz, 20 3/4 inches
  • Options
    Most women I know did it mainly because when babies are little, they love to grab and pull.  I still have pretty long hair (down to my mid-back) and I have to say... my first did grab and pull - and hard several times.  It really makes more sense in that regard, to cut it.  However, for me, my hair is really easy to deal with when it's long and I don't have to do much/any styling.  So, that is why I kept it long.  Now that I am preggo with #2- I want to cut it because I am constantly HOT!!!   :)

• Options
    imageKRISTA555:

I remember when I was pregnant with my DD, there was a discussion on here about this.

The theory is two-fold: Pregnant women get sick of dealing with their hair, and they also fear that they won't have any time to maintain their longer hair after the baby is born.

I didn't jump on the cutting hair bandwagon. I just pulled it back into a pony when DD was a newborn and not sleeping.

I didn't cut it until recently, and that was just for a change.

This. I didn't cut mine at all. I am getting it cut on Saturday because I am bored of it (but I am only going a little shorter).

• Options
    I am growing mine out right now, but only because I had cut it super short right before I got pregnant and wasn't happy with how short it was.  It's barely shoulder length right now so I have a while to go before I would consider it long again.
  • Options

I just cut my hair today!! I started thinking about it a week ago, my long hair was driving me crazy besides I'm hot all the time. Today I decided to cut it in layers, its still under my shoulders but it feels less heavy and I'm really happy. I've been cutting my own hair for the last 3 years and I usually do it when I'm going through some big change in my life.

image image image Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had been growing my hair out to donate it before I got pregnant.  It was finally long enough to cut and too long for me to deal with anymore in mid-August.  I chopped off 10 inches to donate.  It just happened to be while I was pregnant.  I plan on growing it back out.  I don't mind the short hair (hits my shoulders), but it doesn't feel as much like "me".

FACEBOOK FEB 12 BUMPIES ADMIN - POST & PM ME TO JOIN 

• Options
    I will definitely NOT be cutting my hair short. It actually takes way more work for me since my hair has a slight curl to it that comes out more the shorter I cut it. why make it short when I can put it in a braid or a pony tail? With short hair I HAVE to blow dry and flat iron/curl it. I have never really understood the "Mom" hair cut. Besides, my husband hates short hair too, so it is a win win for everyone!
  • Options

I'm planning on cutting mine and donating it come January (about a month before my EDD).  I have been wanting to donate my hair for some time now and figured that now would be a good time.  It is really healthy and growing fast because of the PNV's and hormones, so I'm glad to give it up to someone who needs it for a hairpiece.  The only reason I'm waiting is so it will still be long enough to pull back once they take 8" off.

• Options

imageJoie80:
    Total opposite for me. I usually wear short hair, but my face is looking all puffy  pregnant, so I decided to keep some lenght and grow it out.

THIS!!

The length of my hair right now is the longest my husband has ever seen it, and we have been together 8 years.

• Options
    I didn't cut mine until after DD was born.  My hair was very thick, curly and long.  I blow dry and straighten everyday and it was just taking too much time with having an infant around.  I plan on growing it out again once they both get a little older.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"