Health & Exercise
Options

Venting... Thanks for listening in advance.

I went into my OB today for a yearly pelvic exam... And to have the doc answer a few questions. I am set up to go back at 8 weeks for the more serious stuff.

I mentioned my half marathon training to my doc. She sort of frowned and stated that she did not think I should be running those long distances right now.

I am extremely healthy, I have no pre existing conditions, and she said everything was going along great. I am an avid runner and I have slowed down the pace. The thing is, I really just want to finish the race. It isn't a time thing... I could run-walk the darn thing at this point for all I care.

I asked her for reasoning behind that and she stated that "She "feels" that running those long of distances may jar the baby" I am sorry but I think this is a complete load of crap. I have read up on this... and read up on it again. I also know other women that ran a half while pregnant. 

I talked to my husband about it and he thinks I should continue to run and complete the half. I agree with him.... but the doc put doubt in my mind. I am so frustrated... I just had to vent.

Re: Venting... Thanks for listening in advance.

• Options
    I'm not in your shoes, but I have a good friend who ran a half while pg and her doc had no problem with it. Everything I've read says that if you did it before you were pg, you can keep doing it. My own doc said that I could keep doing ANY of my pre-pg sports for as long as I want, except for snowboarding (and anything else with a high chance of falling). I'm not am expert, but unless she has a specific reason (eg you're high-risk), it sounds like she's just really old-school.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I'm an avid runner too and I've continued to run throughout pregnancy. I ran two half-marathons in my first trimester and my ob didn't seem concerned.  I've continued to run about 4-6 miles several times per week. I'm planning to run a 10k this weekend at 33 weeks.

I think you just need to listen to your body.  If you feel good, then it's probably safe to continue running.  Just make sure you hydrate well and go at a pace where you feel comfortable holding a conversation.  (If you can't talk and run at the same time, you're probably pushing yourself too hard).  Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    You might want to get your hands on James Clapp's book, "Exercising Through Your Pregnancy". It's a great medical reference based on research, and not just what some random doctor "feels". Even though my midwife was supportive of my running, it was still a great resource when I had moments of doubt from so many (non-experts) telling me they were worried about my running.
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagenatalie202:
    You might want to get your hands on James Clapp's book, "Exercising Through Your Pregnancy". It's a great medical reference based on research, and not just what some random doctor "feels". Even though my midwife was supportive of my running, it was still a great resource when I had moments of doubt from so many (non-experts) telling me they were worried about my running.

Fantastic!! Thank you... I am going to check my kindle to download it. 

• Options
    I ran a half during my first tri and have continued running throughout my whole pregnancy. I ran 4 pretty quick miles tonight. If you've been an avid runner before pregnancy there is no harm in continuing to do so now. Just listen to your body and don't push yourself too hard. I'd run the half...some people are just overly cautious.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I'm a competitive lifter and have dealt with the same thing for lifting as you're dealing with for running.  The most important thing is that you listen to your body, as long as you do that there shouldn't be any big issues at all. 

I had a bout here since Labor Day weekend that I've only physically felt up to going to the gym 3x since, but the thing is, I listened to my body.  When I was at L&D being monitored and in agonizing pain, they were IMMEDIATELY trying to push it off as it was a pulled muscle... O.k. 99% of the time I have something that is sore, achy, or pulled, I think I know the difference between something being wrong and a blasted pulled muscle.  Sure enough, it was a GI problem...  Even with that, it's just amazing how it's suddenly only a problem with me being physically active when physical activity actually helps prevent more problems...  UGH!! 

Just listen to your body, it'll never steer you wrong!!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"