May 2011 Moms

Nap/Breaking the swaddle question

DS STTN fine bottle at 8 and sleeps till 7:30 waketime. Naps have been fine, I used the baby whisperer shush pat, at first, and he usually makes it the whole 1-1.5 hours. Until I decided to try and break the swaddle. He started rolling tummy to back and back to tummy is close so I thought I'd start now to rid him of the swaddle.

I moved him to a peke moe, just for naps and now it's like we are back at square one. If he falls asleep easy he sleeps for maybe 30 min and there is no getting him back, I did pu/pd for over an hour. Or he won't even settle down for a nap. Just now I gave in an swaddled him and he was out in 3 minutes. I know I shouldn't have but we are both exhausted.

maybe he isn't ready to get rid of the swaddle? Or do I need to look into a new sleep training method to get him to sleep with out it? If so which one? Ferber? Moms on call? Any of these discuss sleep problems with breaking the swaddle?

His three plus my one; we are all excited to welcome a little one!

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Nap/Breaking the swaddle question

• We are having the same issue right now.  Only she is waking up at night this way too.  I have been caving and swaddling as well, but stood my ground last night and was up every 2-3 hours.  I am also wondering if it is coinciding with the 4 month wake for us. 

Sorry I have nothing to contribute, but just wanted to say we are in the same boat.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh!  and I just noticed that our babies are exactly the same age :) May 26th!!

Yaay!

Anyways, I am waiting to see what others say also... :)hehe

• Loading the player...
  • Why not try putting him down for the night without the swaddle, just to see?  If he's anything like my LO, nap behavior isn't really a great predictor of night-time behavior.  We haven't swaddled since he was about three weeks old, so no great advice about getting away from it, but I'd at least give it a shot at night before assuming it won't work.
  • We tried no swaddle about a month ago and it failed. We gave in and swaddled again. We tried again this week and had much better results. He woke a few times but manages to put himself back to sleep.We are a much happier family. If it were me I would swaddle again until he is ready. 

Have you tried swaddling one arm out? That is how we started breaking the habit. 

• imageBonnesetter27:

We tried no swaddle about a month ago and it failed. We gave in and swaddled again. We tried again this week and had much better results. He woke a few times but manages to put himself back to sleep.We are a much happier family. If it were me I would swaddle again until he is ready. 

Have you tried swaddling one arm out? That is how we started breaking the habit. 

This . . .

We used the Halo SleepSac Swaddle and starting by still wrapping him with his arms out.  It seemed he still felt the security of the wrapping around his torso but got used to having his arms out after about 2 nights.

When they are ready they won't want to be swaddled anymore.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"