New to The Bump

Not sure where to post this question..

I had a question about epidurals. This is my third baby and I have had two epidurals. My first epidural I did not feel at all because I was given pain meds before hand due because of pre-eclampsia. My second one was strange and that is what my question is about. I have always had what I thought was a "weird" back. My spine doesn't stick out like most people's. My spine is what I would call deep-set and I have muscles along both sides that are quite prominent. When I stretch, the muscles are visible, but my spine just is an indent along my back.I am not overweight or even really muscular or anything. I am average. 5'1", 135 lbs. But when I was getting my 2nd epidural, the anesthesiologist mentioned that I had a "deep epidural space" and he had to go in and numb a little bit at a time before he could put in the cath. I could feel him poking around and it didn't so much HURT as it just felt really really odd. He said it was "fine" and "normal" that my spine was like this but didn't offer any other explanation. I have tried googling "deep epidural space" and absolutely nothing comes up! Does anyone here know what I am talking about or can offer any kind of info? TIA!
Daisypath Anniversary tickers babies Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Not sure where to post this question..

• Former labor and delivery nurse here...

Deep epidural space is really just that you are "deeper" than the average joe...The Doc had to put the epidural cath in deeper to make sure the medicine was delivered to the right space. I would not put too much weight on what he/she said because another doctor might says something different. You sound totally normal to me. :)

TTC #3 since Feb 2014 DS 1: 2010 DS 2: 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"