Preemies
Options

Starting solid off of real age?

C had her 4m (2m adjusted) appointment today. Her pedi said to start solids around 6m ACTUAL age (she'll be 4m adjusted). Right now, we EBF. She said it is because BM starts losing its nutrition around 6m, so I need to start adding real food to her diet to make up for this.

Does this sound normal? When did your pedi tell you to start introducing real food?

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

Re: Starting solid off of real age?

• Options
    I responded to you on the BFing board :o)
    Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options

This topic is a little fuzzy on when to start. I've read lots of moms on here whose pedi says ACTUAL not adjusted. ...but also lots of pedis who says ADJUSTED not actual. Our pedi is of the latter way of thinking.

She wants us to start cereal (if we want) at 4 mo adjusted - 6 actual, then solids around 8 unless he shows interest beforehand.

I think this is around the time when personal parenting styles factor into decision making more & more. We are planning to do baby-led weaning (BLW) so we won't be doing cereal/purees/mush. The weaning doesn't mean 'get off BM' but it's the beginning of child led movement from BM (or F) to eating solids.

There is absolutely nothing that I've heard that BM loses it's punch - not even with iron. But I'm sure someone will have just as strong an argument as to why I'm wrong ;) You know what I mean. Investigate and decide what you think is best for your LO. - then you tell the pedi what you're doing. I really like our dr but she doesn't get to make those calls. I will however consider cereal if she thinks it's for the better with DS reflux. But I'll weigh all opinions before I move forward :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

We are starting very slowly at 6 1/2 months actual, 3 1/2 months adjusted after consulting with the pedi, nutritionist, and GI. They all think that small amounts of solids may help with our reflux issues and that C is showing all the developmental signs of readiness for solids. I was hesitant to start, especially since I suspect that we may have some texture issues to deal with in the future but after long conversations with everyone we are started cereal this weekend.

That said, we are moving slowly. She gets very small portions, we are waiting almost a week between new foods and she will be evaluated by OT for any issues next week.

• Options
    My pedi gave me the exact same instructions as yours. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We did ours at 3 month adjusted 6 month actual.  I had intended to wait longer but they were so ready, sitting supported, interested in food, eating over 30 oz of formula a day.  They hated cereal but loved veggies so we started with them.  Since then we have intro'ed tons of fruits and veggies, Greek yogurt and even chicken.  We have taken it slow and only do 2 meals a day (most days, some days it is still one) but so far so good!
  • Options
    We had our 6 month pediatrician apt on Monday (their 3 months adjusted) and he told us to start introducing solid foods once a day.  However, on Tuesday at our Apnea Clinic check-up our doctor and Nurse Practitioner told us to wait a few more months (until 5 months adjusted).  We're going with the Apnea Clinic doctor and Nurse advice simply because she has been working with our twins since the NICU.
    Mom to three beautiful preemies:

Lily born at 27 wks: 2 lbs 4 oz.
    Max born at 27 wks: 2 lbs 2 oz.
    Glenn born at 31 wks: 3 lbs 9 oz.

My twin's birth story
  • Options
    Our pediatrician told us to start solids at 6 months (3 1/2 adjusted).  We are going to wait till after her 6 month appointment and then start off slowly with cereal.  She watches us closely when we eat, so I think she'll be ready to start cereal at 6 months.  
    Sophia Elizabeth born at 28 weeks, 6 days. Weighing 3lbs, 3oz and 15 1/8" long. SS Photography blue petti
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • Options

Our pedi said 6 months actual which was a little before 4 months adjusted.  JS has really taken off with solids, but H is not so sure.

FWIW, neither of them really liked rice cereal from the spoon.  They both get it in bottles for reflux, so maybe that has something to do with it?  However, fruits and veggies were a bigger hit.  I'm using momtastic to guide me with introducing new foods. 

• Options

At his 6 month appointment (3 adjusted), we were told to introduce solids when he seemed ready.  So, we tried to figure that out.  We tried cereal twice, and he wasn't ready either time.  Then, a couple of weeks ago, we tried again, and he has taken off.  Almost immediately, he wanted tons of solid food, so he's already eating 3 meals / day of solids (purees and cereal).  He's still drinking a bunch of milk, too, so it's like the solids are on top of it.

I think it really depends on your kid more than anything else. I think there's a bit of trial and error involved with any path you take.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

imageimage
  • Options
    We started off, very slowly, at 6 months actual.  My son was on 100% pumped BM prior.  He was not so into it the first time, so we would try again once a day.  After abour 2 weeks he would take a few spoon fulls of cereal mixed with BM at a time.  I waited to introduce fruit and veggies until he was around 7.5 months and he loved these and no longer wanted boring cereal.  I waited to do yogurt and meat until closer to 9.5 months.  By 12 months, he wanted nothing to do with baby food and only wanted finger food he could eat himself.  It goes really quickly.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"