Potty Training

XP: Need Potty Training Advice From Moms of Boys (A Bit Long)

I totally missed this board since I didn't think I would be here for a while!

Okay, on a whim I bought Liam a potty seat at Target.  It is one that goes on the big toilet and it has Sesame Street characters.  He saw it at Target and immediately fell in love and was pointing at it and saying "Elmo!  Elmo!"  I figured he could sit on it before bath time and read a book just to get used to it and if anything happened then that would be a bonus.  I wasn't expecting much of anything.

Well, long story short, in the two days we have had the seat Liam has peed twice and pooped once.  Yesterday evening was the first pee before bath time.  This evening he pooped before bath time.  Then, he wanted out of the bath a little earlier than usual.  After drying off he walked over to the toilet and gestured to it, sat down (I helped), peed and said "Yay!" while clapping and pointing to his penis.

Needless to say, I'm shocked.  I've worked with kids for a long time and in my experience boys have not been the easiest to potty train.  Plus, he's so young (17 1/2 months) and honestly wasn't showing too many signs of being ready besides being interested in what the toilet does.  I don't want to push anything and have him regress but I'm really not sure how to continue from here and I'm afraid of screwing something up.

What would you recommend I do?  What kinds of behaviors should I be looking for?  When do you think I should talk to daycare about using the potty there?  Any other advice would be greatly appreciated! 

image image

Re: XP: Need Potty Training Advice From Moms of Boys (A Bit Long)

• Sounds like he is definetly ready.  I would encourage him.  I did the 3 day potty training method with my 22 month old son and it worked great.  Also he loved it when I bought underwear for him and I tell him he is a big boy for wearing underwear.  He is displaying all the right behaviors.  He knows where pee and poop goes, he realizes when he has to go.  I do recommend that you and daycare be on the same page.  Tell daycare that you are doing potty training.  I also think you should do underwear instead pullups as most people say pull ups are not helpful in potty training.

Check the babycenter website for more potty training tips.

https://www.babycenter.com/0_potty-training-in-three-days-or-less_10310078.bc

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'd go for it. He sounds ready and willing. Take a weekend and totally focus on it - ditch the diapers, etc. and see what happens. Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • DS was peeing and pooping in the potty last November at 23 months. Not consistently, but doing it and singing the "potty song" we made up. We tried casually on and off for the last year, but we'd have lots of accidents and we weren't fully committed.

We finally felt like he was really ready 2 months ago and sure enough... we've gone two months with NO accidents and now we're overnight without diapers, too.

Perhaps your son is really ready (yay!), but for us it was just he beginning of a process that is finally coming to fruition!  Good luck.

Son #1: 12.27.08 (6 years)
    Son #2: 02.06.12 (2.5 yrs)
    Baby #3 due: 02.10.15 (It's a girl!)
    GD with all three pregnancies

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"