February 2012 Moms
Options

How can you tell when a crib mattress needs to be replaced?

This is our first, but we inherited a crib from my cousin, who has two kids and used the crib and mattress with both I believe.  What's the lifespan of a crib mattress?  What are there signs that it needs to be replaced?

Thanks!

Married August 5, 2006

Baby girl born February 15, 2012

Expecting baby #2 in July!

BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How can you tell when a crib mattress needs to be replaced?

• Options

The lifespan of a crib mattress really depends on the brand and how hard it was used (were toddlers jumping on it, etc.). If it's really old you should get a new one to ensure it meets all the latest safety specifications.

Crib mattresses should be nice & firm and flat. So I would say if it's soft or 'saggy' in any spots; then you might consider a replacement. Coils could break over a period of time, making the mattress not as firm and the saggy spots in the bed could be very uncomfortable or dangerous for baby as you should have a nice flat sleeping surface for them.

Just check it out when you get it, you should be able to tell if it's usable or not. Babies R Us has very reasonable prices on crib mattresses so you can get a new one for anywhere from $80-200 (bonus if you have a 20% coupon to use!). Even just go to the store to check out the ones they have in the store and see how your mattress compares to those new ones.

I am by no means a crib mattress expert, but I do feel VERY stongly that mattresses and car seats are definitely two of the big baby purchases that you should make sure you have very safe & reliable products.

BabyFruit Ticker image imageimage
  • Options

another consideration is whether the mattress was kept free of moisture. If there is any chance that the insides of the mattress got wet you want a new one in case of mold growth.

I agree with pp: it is my opinion that people should do their best to have a new car seat and a new mattress/changing pad.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips ladies, much appreciated!

Married August 5, 2006

Baby girl born February 15, 2012

Expecting baby #2 in July!

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    There's actually an advantage to having an older mattress, assuming it's firm and in good shape.  They are filled with chemicals and take years to off-gas, so the older it is the less toxic it is.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I would want to replace it strictly for sanitary purposes but that's just my opinion.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"