Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Need tips/advice.. RNP to PNP to crib..

LO has slept in the RNP every night since we've brought him home and loves it. He'll sleep 4 hours at the beginning of the night.  We also have to rock the RNP to get him to sleep.  Last night he was hanging out in there in the livingroom and I saw him start to lift his head up...so I want to get him into his PNP or crib soon.

He will hang out in the PNP in the livingroom and look around, but rarely falls asleep. 

We can get him to fall asleep in his crib.. but he will only sleep an hour.

We've tried a pillow to prop one end up and a heating pad to warm the crib or PNP before LO gets put to bed.. but nothing seems to keep him asleep.  He hates swaddling and we use white noise.  

Do we just put him in the crib this weekend when we can be awake all night and just make him...or is there a better way?  I'm just afraid we'll end up holding him all night instead of him sleeping in the crib.  Lol, it can't be as difficult as I'm making it.

We have noticed he will take naps for 2 hours on his side.. supervised of course.  Is side sleeping an option?

CafeMom Tickers

Re: Need tips/advice.. RNP to PNP to crib..

• Options

When we made the transition from RnP to crib swaddling worked for us, but sounds like your LO doesn't like to be swaddled.  Like you, we also put the mattress at a slight elevation.

When we talked with our pedi about the transition he said it can be really difficult for babies under 3 months of age.  He said that babies that young don't really have a memory....so if you put your LO in the crib and they cry but eventually fall asleep, they won't really remember that the crib was an ok place to be.  So the next night you have to go through the crying again.

He said that with some babies, if you really want to transition, it can mean letting them cry for hours in the crib.  Something that most parents can't do.  He suggested that we wait until 3 months to try to transition.  But luckily for use the swaddling worked. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ugh...we are dealing with the exact same problem. I am doing all the same things you are and I have also rolled up a couple of receiving blankets and placed them on both sides of LO under the crib sheet to give him that surrounded feeling. I now have a love hate relationship with the RNP. Good Luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Take a few days when you can afford to lose the sleep and just do it.

We went from swing to crib, so its similar. To get him to sleep at first I had to bounce the mattress a little bit, and when he'd wake up an hour later I'd come in, shush him and bounce the mattress but not pick him up unless he just wouldn't calm down. In that case I would pick him up, rock him until calm, and put him down and bounce the mattress until he fell asleep. Less than a week later he was in his crib full time.

I once saw a tip about transitioning from a RNP to a crib by rolling up a towel and putting it into a pillowcase in like a U shape. Then you can put LO into the little nest it makes and it simulates the closeness of the RNP.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice.. I never realized that using the RNP would make transitioning to a crib would be such trouble.  I think tonight we're gona just buckle down and not use that darn RNP..  I think I'd have less sleep worrying he might try to sit up again and get hurt.
    CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    i have the pnp next to my bed so we just swaddled him and put him in the PnP.  I will either jiggle the PnP or rub his belly to put him to sleep.   i just yesterday tried to put him in the crib for a nap and it worked.. It just looked to big but he didn't seem to mind.  I am not planning on putting in the crib to sleep just yet but will try when he starts STTN.   GL. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"