Indiana Babies
Options

pumping question

how long does it take for your supply to dry up?  since i stopped breastfeeding caroline i've been pumping.  i feel like i've just made it to the point where i have enough breastmilk to fill all her bottles in a day/night.  the main reason i started pumping and didn't do formula was b/c we had rented a pump from the hospital for a month.  which means i have to return it in a few weeks (or pay to rent it another month)...i think i'm rambling :)  my question is....when do i start trying to decrease my supply? how long will it take?  i don't want to return the pump and have no way of getting this breastmilk out. :)

Re: pumping question

• Options
    I think it took about 4 weeks for me to dry up completely.  I would definitely transition gradually or you'll be in serious pain.  :)  I dropped one feeding/pumping session, gave it a couple of days, then dropped another.  Cabbage leaves from the fridge will be your friend during this time.  Also, don't stand facing the shower stream (except to rinse off any soap quickly) b/c the warm water will stimulate your supply again.  I've heard of some people taking Sudafed to help dry up their supply, but I don't know if that's really recommended.
    No siggy pic until TB gets rid of Twitter and FB links Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    It took me a couple weeks of decreasing pumping sessions to dry up completely. To be honest, like pp, I should have taken the time to do it more slowly and taken a few more weeks to transition. I was in so much pain the last couple of days before I totally dried up that I couldn't even pick up LO without almost crying!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Was about 3 weeks for me. 

Thursday, May 5th, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Ask me stuff.
  • Options

From what I've heard from others it seems like it's best to wean yourself off of it as opposed to quitting cold turkey.  Obviously no experience here. 

Since you do have a good supply coming in, have you considered continuing to pump until your supply drops on its own?  I'm quite certain renting a pump for a month would be much cheaper than formula.  Not to mention the calorie burning effects for you and nutrition impact for Caroline.  Just a thought...

Owen and Olivia born on November 2, 2011 at 30.5 weeks Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"