Indiana Babies
Options

laws regarding pumping@work

Hello all! I haven't actually posted on the board in quite a while, probably since before DD was born, but I still lurk every now & then. I have an IN specific (maybe, not sure) question & figured this would probably be the best place for it, so here it goes :) TIA for any and all insight!!

I'm still on maternity leave & am planning on going back Nov 1st. I am BFing & planning to pump at work. I was told by another coworker who also just had a baby & is also still on leave that she thought they only gave us our normal, 15 minute breaks for pumping, no longer. I have emailed my manager to see if this is correct, but I'm still waiting on her response. Does anyone know if there's a law regarding how long they have to give for women to pump or if there's somewhere I can look for this info? I tried looking online, but am coming up short. I'm worried because if that's true, only 15 minutes, my supply's going to go down pretty quickly. It usually take 20-25 minutes, just pumping alone to get all the milk out, not including set up & putting things away. 

I'm going to post this on a couple other boards just in case, but thank you all so much for any help you're able to give me!

Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPicInduced at 37wks 1 day due to Pre-E after an amnio was done to ensure mature lungs. Alexis Anne born at 37wks 2 days, 6lbs 3oz 20 1/2 inches long happy & healthy :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket

Re: laws regarding pumping@work

• Options

https://www.ncsl.org/default.aspx?tabid=14389 - Your employer has to provide a "reasonable" amount of time for you to pump up to a year after your child's birth and also has to provide a place for you to pump other than a restroom.  Obama just signed this into law this year, so you have federal law on your side on this one.  I think a couple of 25 minute breaks a day is completely reasonable.

No siggy pic until TB gets rid of Twitter and FB links Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

Also, here are Indiana's laws:

Indiana

Ind. Code ? 16-35-6 allows a woman to breastfeed her child anywhere the law allows her to be. (HB 1510)

Ind. Code ? 5-10-6-2 and ? 22-2-14-2 (2008) provide that state and political subdivisions shall provide for reasonable paid breaks for an employee to express breast milk for her infant, make reasonable efforts to provide a room or other location, other than a toilet stall, where the employee can express breast milk in private and make reasonable efforts to provide for a refrigerator to keep breast milk that has been expressed.  The law also provides that employers with more than 25 employees must provide a private location, other than a toilet stall, where an employee can express the employee's breast milk in private and if possible to provide a refrigerator for storing breast milk that has been expressed. (2008 Ind. Acts, P.L. 13, SB 219)

No siggy pic until TB gets rid of Twitter and FB links Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My employers gives 2 20 minute breaks. If I go longer than 20 minutes I have to clock out.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"