C-sections

Clothes Timeline After C-Section

Ok so someone please tell me when I can and can't wear normal clothes? My personal style includes graphic tees and skinny jeans....When could I where stuff like that again????
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Clothes Timeline After C-Section

• Honestly take your maternity jeans to the hospital & be prepared to keep wearing them for another month or 2. The c section creates this little bulge above the incision that was really hard for me to get rid of, and since they cut thru muscle it may not completely ever go away no matter how many sit ups you do. I was back in normal clothes like 3-4 months after Ryan was born. You won't be so worried about style for a while :)
    sweet baby boy ryan born 6/24/09
    TTC since 8/09 . MC 1/15/10 @ 7w4d // 6/2/10 @ 8w2d
    TTC with no menstrual cycle since 6/10, finally got one 8/25/11 :)
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Oh I and completely forgot! They sell belly bands and they will also give you one in the hospital to support your belly and incision. Wear it !!!! It helps everything flatten out so much and also offers relief from pain.
    sweet baby boy ryan born 6/24/09
    TTC since 8/09 . MC 1/15/10 @ 7w4d // 6/2/10 @ 8w2d
    TTC with no menstrual cycle since 6/10, finally got one 8/25/11 :)
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageryansmamaxo:
    Honestly take your maternity jeans to the hospital & be prepared to keep wearing them for another month or 2. The c section creates this little bulge above the incision that was really hard for me to get rid of, and since they cut thru muscle it may not completely ever go away no matter how many sit ups you do. I was back in normal clothes like 3-4 months after Ryan was born. You won't be so worried about style for a while :)

agreed.  6 weeks out and i have no desire for jeans.  the abdominal muscles are really sore and i've put on jeans and the pressure from zipper and buttons is not worth it.  and the attractive pp muffin top does not look good in tees.  i've been wearing prepregnacy tops that have give, esp if you plan to BF.  i do wear some maternity tops that arent obvious maternity tops too.

• For me, regular pants kinda hurt me where my scar is.  I used to wear a lot of dresses.  They are so much more forgiving!  ; )

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Well I think the first thing to point out is that nobody is back in their pre-pregnancy clothes immediately after birth.  I mean there might be some moms out there with amazing elastic bodies, but when you've just grown a person inside you it takes a while to get back to normal.  If you've gained a lot of weight during pregnancy you'll have to lose it gradually whether you have a vaginal or a surgical birth.

That said, after my c/s a couple of things specific to my c/s affected what I could wear:  1. I was bloated from the IVs - I came home 2 lb. lighter than I had been when I went to the hospital, and while all that weight dropped off it took about two weeks. 2. You won't want any waistbands or anything right on your incision (which for me is right above the pubic hairline) for at least a couple of weeks.

Also it will take weeks before you're healed enough to start doing ab workouts to regain muscle tone, but for me this didn't make much of a difference because I never had a flat tummy to begin with.  :P

DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • I wore maternity pants/sweat pants for 2 months after ds was born.

My incision was so sore I couldn't imagine something rubbing on it *shudders*

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I was back into my "heavy" jeans and shorts (one size bigger than normal) at two weeks PP and into my regular jeans at around 7/8 weeks PP.  I am not built for skinny jeans, though, so I can't speak for those specifically.  

Everyone is different so it really does vary.   

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I was back to regular jeans 6 weeks after ds was born.
  • For me money was kind of short so I don't really have maternity anything....I still wore like size M tight graphic tees and had to keep stretching into my skinny jeans until mine ripped....still kinda like that..I have maybe one maternity shirt and....some sweats????
  • My weight came off within two weeks (I didn't gain much in the first place), but I can't quite fit into my old pants yet because of the belly bulge. Unfortunately, my maternity pants are too big, so I'm kind of stuck right in stretchy pants right now because that's all that fits and doesn't rub the incision. Everyone is different.

I do agree, though, that you definitely DON'T want anything that is going to hit you on your incision - the first pants I wore were some underbelly maternity jeans, and the rubbing was very uncomfortable. Make sure and have some pants that will hit you above the incision. My hospital didn't provide a support band like a PP mentioned, but that sounds like it might help.

• I think skinny jeans would be very tricky. For one, it will be weeks before you'll want anything rubbing on your incision, and two - your weight will be redistributed for a period of time. Expect more weight over your incision. I'd be prepared for sweats, loose pants, or dresses.
  • Within 10 days I was back into my jeggings.  It took another 2-3 weeks after that to fit into my tightest skinny jeans.  But I think I was extremely lucky weight wise.  I was back to Pre-pregnancy weight within a couple of weeks.  It was more that I didn't like anything tight around the incision at first.  Leggings and dresses are the best.  Then switch to anything loose or stretchy.
  • imageryansmamaxo:
    Oh I and completely forgot! They sell belly bands and they will also give you one in the hospital to support your belly and incision. Wear it !!!! It helps everything flatten out so much and also offers relief from pain.

This! The belly support band was fantastic!

After many years and tears our baby boy is finally here
    Born 11-6-10

• I wore maternity clothes, esp pants, for ~3-4 wks post c-section.  The first 2 weeks b/c I was retaining water and weighed 10 lbs more after delivering LO than at the end of pregnancy!  I'm back in all my prepreg clothes now but you can see my jiggly belly still which was not a problem prior to pregnancy.  Definitely bring maternity clothes to wear home from hospital and something with stretchy waistband.  It will feel way more comfortable and you won't be worried about your incision site.
  • I was in my regular jeans and pre-pregnancy wardrobe at six weeks PP. I never owned any maternity clothing. Before the six weeks, I wore dress pants outside and sweat pants inside, because a) My shape was totally different, and b) Jeans rubbed against my incision.

Unfortunately you won't know how your body will react PP. Bring a loose, comfy outfit to wear home from the hospital. I wore PJ pants home.

• imageSilentSymphony:
    For me money was kind of short so I don't really have maternity anything....I still wore like size M tight graphic tees and had to keep stretching into my skinny jeans until mine ripped....still kinda like that..I have maybe one maternity shirt and....some sweats????

I didn't buy any maternity clothes except for 2 pairs of maternity pants (which I'm still wearing) At home I live in sweats and pj pants. When I go out I wear anything that I wore while I was pregnant because I still have a bit of belly. Dresses are a must!! They are more forgiving and much more comfortable. I'm sad that it's starting to get cold because now I will have to give them up. I can't wait to get back into my skinny jeans, but right now they sound like a form of torture with this sore incision!

• I wore my maternity jeans and stretch pants for several weeks. My incision was right were jeans hit and it hurt too bad. I was also nervous about it messing with the tape. I didn't get out a whole lot in those first weeks anyways.
  • I gained 23 lbs during my pregnancy, most of which I lost right away, but held onto 5-6 lbs for a while....Even once your weight returns to normal, your 'shape' takes a while to return (hip bones are often wider).

Also, you are going to WANT to wear your maternity pants for a bit. Buttons and zippers do not go well with and incision :) Be comfy! GL!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"