May 2011 Moms
Options

Taking LO's Temp...

My LO is 4.5 months old. Which area would give me her best temp and accurate of course? I did it the other day under her arm but should I be getting a rectal temp instead? Also what temp would be of concern??? Sorry for silly questions!

Re: Taking LO's Temp...

• Options
    I was told by my pediatrician that you can take it under the arm first.  If it looks close to feverish, you should then retake it rectally for better accuracy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I always take it rectally, (until about 1 year) because I really think that gives the best number.  It's a bit scary at first, but use some vaseline and if you use the right therm, it's all good.  I like the Vick's ComfortFlex. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imagerobyn183718:
    I was told by my pediatrician that you can take it under the arm first.  If it looks close to feverish, you should then retake it rectally for better accuracy.

That's my policy. He hasn't ever had a suspicious temperature by the underarm technique, so I haven't bothered to do it in the bum. It seems like overkill unless I need it to be super accurate.

• Options

imagerobyn183718:

That's my policy. He hasn't ever had a suspicious temperature by the underarm technique, so I haven't bothered to do it in the bum. It seems like overkill unless I need it to be super accurate.

• Options

imageLisa Frank:
    I always take it rectally, (until about 1 year) because I really think that gives the best number.  It's a bit scary at first, but use some vaseline and if you use the right therm, it's all good.  I like the Vick's ComfortFlex. 

This. Also the one time we had to do it, I thought DD would freak out, she didn't even budge, not bothered one bit!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"