Preemies
Options

Introducing Over Here

Hello Ladies. I gave birth to my son Henry last Saturday at 29w4d. He was initially intubated but after surfactant has done awesome and is now off all respiratory support. We're just working on getting his feed volumes up.

It's been a super surreal experience for me. I just finished my pediatric residency in July and worked in the NICU as a doctor that Henry is now in. I wouldn't be anywhere else because it's a wonderful place. The nurses have been awesome and the doctors are the only ones I would trust. It makes it interesting though since I worry about every little thing. I'm trying to just focus on being mommy though, since that's what he needs. 

My biggest struggle now is pumping/sleep. Between getting up to pump at night and also wanting to be at his bedside as much as possible, it's very tiring? Any tips/schedules that worked for other mommies? I'm also thinking to go back to work part time before he comes home so I can save as much FMLA as possible. Any tips about that?

Looking forward to getting to know you ladies. I'll try to keep my responses strictly in mommy mode!

BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.

Re: Introducing Over Here

• Options
    Congratulations on Henry! As far as pumping, my lactation consultant told me to give myself a 5 hour stretch at night just pump right before and right after. Sleep is so important for your milk supply. Good luck! Nicu can be so stressful but it isn't forever :)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

Welcome and congrats on your son-he seems to be doing great!

Check out the FAQs in my siggy for some great parent resources we've gathered. As far as pumping goes, ditto PP-give yourself a 4-5 hour stretch each night so you get some decent sleep. Also, ask if your NICU/milk bank can give you a hospital pump at your LO's bedside. They did that for me and it was a great way to maximize time with C and not miss pumping sessions.

On going back to work-my DH worked the whole time C was in the NICU and visited her every night so he could be home when she was discharged. He is very glad he did it that way. I am a grad student so I just took the semester off. Many of the ladies here worked while their LOs were in the NICU though-I'm sure they will have more tips. My best advice is to find some good primary nurses that you really trust so you can call and get good updates while you are at work. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hello and welcome...I had my LO at 30 weeks and 4 days and am happy to say he is home and doing wonderfully.  We have lots in common!  I too had just finished my pediatric residency when I had him. When I was told that I had preeclampsia and would have to deliver early, all I could think about was all the babies that I had intubated while I was on call...how scary it was... It is very hard to keep in mommy mode, but remember to let the neos worry about all the details (easier said than done) and you worry about spending time with you precious LO and taking care of yourself.  You are a mommy!  Congrats!  Let me know if you need to talk/type...we do share a scary perspective, ignorance is bliss sometimes...and its easier if you have someone to talk to!  All the ladies on here are great, ask any questions you need to..we are here for you!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers imageimageimage
  • Options

Welcome and congrats on little Henry. I went back to work 6 weeks PP and I've worked it out with my job to take my leave once she's discharged. I call about 2 times a day during work hours (after her cares or if something big is going to happen) to get my updates and also visit on my lunches and after work. Also if you know something is coming up, like eye exam, shots, or anything else out of the norm, have them call you. Look into FMLA because I know here in CA you can take up to 12 weeks paid and also up to a year of family bonding.

I hope the above makes sense and you can also email me. Big Smile

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Congratulations and welcome!  I'm not sure if it's an option for you, but have you looked at any unpaid leave beyond FMLA?  My son was born at 26w3d and spent 70 days in the NICU.  I took all of my FMLA, and then my employer gave me an additional 5 weeks of time.  So, I was off for a total of 17 weeks.  I looked into working part time, but I couldn't really swing it for a variety of reasons.

As for the pumping, I agree with the others:  GIve yourself a break of 4 or 5 hours at night.  Once your milk supply is established, you may be able to sleep the entire night without pumping.  You'll just have to see how it goes.  Also, you can get additional sets of pump parts, so then you don't have to wash parts in addition to spending the time pumping. 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

imageimage
  • Options

congrats and prayers!

My 26 weeker spent 17 weeks in the NICU.  He's 2 1/2 now and has some delays but is doing very well! :)

I pumped every 3 hours with one 5-hour stretch at night.  After Andrew came home, I backed off to only pumping 4 times a day because I had a shitton of milk. 

I went back to work at 6 weeks, worked part time (visited A in the afternoons), until he came home.  Then when he came home I took the remainder of my 6 wks FMLA.  Later my company told me they thought since those were 2 "events" I should have been able to take 12 weeks at each "event" - but it was after the fact, so who knows.

• Options
    Congratulations on your little boy! I have 27 weekers who spent 10 weeks and 14 weeks in the NICU but are now thriving. I was only able to pump for the first three months but I got on "their" NICU schedule and started pumping an hour before their feedings. So if they ate at 6, 9, 12, 3 I would pump at 5, 8, 11, 2. This way I could give them fresh if I were pumping at the hospital and be comfortable (not engorged) for care/cuddle time. My company was less than sympathetic concerning my leave and I am now a SAHM. Good luck and best wishes to you and your family!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Congrats on the birth of your son and welcome!  

You must have a very interesting perspective from being both a doctor and mom.  I'd love to hear the doctor's side sometimes, if you'd be interested in sharing.

My biggest advice is to make sure you're taking care of yourself.  I understand wanting to be by his side asap, but take comfort in the care that he will be receiving and heal yourself physically first.  Eat well (I struggled with that) and get rest so that you can produce the best milk possible. 

Congrats and share some more pics soon, if you're comfortable.  :) 

BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"