Postpartum Depression
Options

Any other moms worried about another baby while on meds?!?!

Any other moms out there worry about not being able to get off your meds when you want to TTC baby #2, 3, etc...?  I have a son that is almost 14 months old and I suffered and still am dealing with post partum depression/anxiety and bad insomnia b/c of it.  My doctor has me on meds that are working and are a total God send.  We don't want to TTC until DS is like 3 or 4 so I know I have a while.  I find myself wondering if I will still need these meds in a few years.  I didn't even like to take Tylenol while pregnant w/ DS.  I know I def. want another child, we only want 2.  I don't want to take meds while pregnant though.  I guess I'm just kinda worried about this issue.  My DH says to not cross that bridge until we come to it, but I can't help but worrying that I won't be able to have another child.  Any other moms feel the same way?  Any other moms taking meds that are like class C or D while pregnant?  The commericals freaking scare me that are on TV right now.  I could not live w/ myself if I caused a heart problem or something like that in my child b/c of meds! 
PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

Re: Any other moms worried about another baby while on meds?!?!

• Options

I am most definitely worried about TTC while on medications. I am currently on 7 different meds to control my severe PPD/PPA. I'm on lithium to boot, so this is a huge factor for TTC.

Because of this, and knowing that the PPD will most likely come back, I have decided that I will not have any more biological children. This is not an easy decision to make, but I have come to be at peace with it. I CANNOT do this again...I almost killed myself, and who knows, next time I might succeed and then I would be leaving two children without a mother. It's just not worth it.

I've also tried coming off of ONE of my meds, and I had a huge relapse...that just goes to show that I'm no where near ready to come off of them yet (and it could take who knows how many years). I have decided that the next step is to adopt, because I, too, want more than one child.

So not sure if that helps you at all, but that is where I'm coming from! I think it all depends on how severe your PPD is, and whether or not you could take the risk of it happening again.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Like PP said, I think it depends on how severe your depression/anxiety is. I read somewhere (wish I could remember the reference) that pregnancy hormones can balance out your mood...kind of acting like an anti-depressant. I'm not sure about the TTC months though...

I do know I stopped taking Lexapro a few months before TTC. I actually didn't notice a lot of difference. I don't know if that's because I was "better" or because I was excited about TTC and then got pregnant right away.

After I had my son, I was a mess and went right back on the Lexapro. I've been thinking about stopping though, to see how I do. I definitely want to stop before TTC again. The commercials scare me too!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think that you should take the advice of your husband and cross that bridge when you come to it.  It could be causing you extra stress making it harder to come off of the meds, making you feel that you aren't ready for #2.  Concentrate on getting better for yourself, and know that there are safe meds to take while pregnant.  You kinda just have to take the attitude of looking at the "right now" problems, and that when you start TTC, you will find the options that work best for you then.
    image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    While I am not on my meds for depression (I have serve vertigo thats why I'm on them) they are still meds for anxiety and depression that help my brain deal with the vertigo.  I was able to come off the meds for the first tri (which is most critical for birth defects) and I had to go back on them from week 15, on.  I'm almost 31 weeks now and still take one of the two meds about every other day.  With the blessing of my OB and vertigo doctor I truly have no choice.  So far my babies (twins) are 100% healthy and I have had zero pregnancy complications at all.  With all that said, don't cross that bridge until you get there...try to come off for your first trimester and then go from there.  There are some drugs that are safer than others but in the end you have to be healthy too.  It is hard to come to terms with taking drugs while pregnant but as long as you and your OB are on the same page and they know what is going on and how to help you and monitor your baby then you are doing the best you can.  GL sweetie.

"I have four children. Two are adopted. I forget which two. -Bob Constantine

"All for Love,' a Saviour prayed 'Abba Father have Your way. Though they know not what they do...Let the Cross draw men to You...."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"