Hawaii Babies
Options

semi-BR poll: would you join this gym?

So I'm toying with the idea of joining a gym. There are three in town, but only one has childminding facilities, so that's the one I'd pick. It would be nice to get some "me" time while exercising (vs. pushing the boys in the stroller, constantly picking up socks and shoes that they've tossed out, passing out drinks and snacks, etc.), BUT I'm not sure it's worth it. Bullet points:

* Child care is available Mon-Fri from 9am-11am only.

* The boys have activities (playgroups, Rhyme Time at the library, and a musical thingy) four days per week, Tues-Fri.

* All of the boys' activities start at 10am. There are no afternoon alternatives - everything is mid-morning here.

* If I want to keep all of the boys' activities, I could go to the gym for up to 2 hours on Monday, but the rest of the week I could only go from 9-9.45am. For some periods of the year it would be more (all of their activities shut down during school vacation times), but for the most part it would just be for 45 min a day.

* Gyms are not open at night here, so there's no option to go when Ben is home, after the boys are in bed for the night.

* Gym cost is $56 per month.

It would be REALLY nice to have the uninterrupted "me" time, but I'm not sure that it's worth the cost (especially since that 45 minutes is maximum and presumes we arrive and leave as precisely as possible...not to mention that I wouldn't have time to shower before attending Will and Dash's activities).

Oh, and currently my exercise consists of a ~30 min walk every day in the afternoon - no resistance training or real regimen. Just in case that influences your answer either way.

[Poll]

Re: semi-BR poll: would you join this gym?

• Options

do they have activities for them at the gym?  (i.e. art stuff, other kids, lots of new toys to explore, sing songs with them etc?).  If that is the case then I wouldn't hesitate to let that experience take the place of one of their other scheduled activities if I were you.  Then you could do Mon, one other weekday, and possible a weekend (are they open on the weekends?).  If you were able to use that time to weight train, swim, steps or do some something else (that isn't possible with the boys in tow) it would be a great compliment to your current walks.  Does the gym offer free or discounted personal training session to new members?  I did that way back in the day when I was getting in shape for the wedding and it helped soooo much.  I had some workouts designed for me that I could easily get through by myself.  

In fact project kick my arse in gear started this week and I have 8 weeks of personal training that starts next week because maybe paying for accountability might help, haha.  I am getting up at 5am to make this work with my schedule... but that is off topic.

• Options
    imageMauiWedding08:

do they have activities for them at the gym?  (i.e. art stuff, other kids, lots of new toys to explore, sing songs with them etc?). It's pretty much just supervised playing, no scheduled activities like painting or music.

If that is the case then I wouldn't hesitate to let that experience take the place of one of their other scheduled activities if I were you. Then you could do Mon, one other weekday, and possible a weekend (are they open on the weekends?). This isn't a bad idea. I guess could cut one of the regular play groups - maybe Thurs - since it's really just free play and socialization?

EDIT: They're open on Saturdays for a few hours.

If you were able to use that time to weight train, swim, steps or do some something else (that isn't possible with the boys in tow) it would be a great compliment to your current walks. I'd only be able to use the weights and cardio equipment - their classes (e.g., step, spinning) don't really mesh with the child minding times. No pool for swimming.

Does the gym offer free or discounted personal training session to new members?  I did that way back in the day when I was getting in shape for the wedding and it helped soooo much.  I had some workouts designed for me that I could easily get through by myself. This is something I am planning on asking them. This is something I intend to ask about. They do offer "ongoing free advice" but I really want one or two sessions of tailored help to make sure I'm getting the most effective workout.

In fact project kick my arse in gear started this week and I have 8 weeks of personal training that starts next week because maybe paying for accountability might help, haha.  I am getting up at 5am to make this work with my schedule... but that is off topic. *Shudder* I have never been able to handle early workouts. I know that's the best time of day, but I have never been able to deal - before kids, I used to go after work. You have my respect!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I voted yes. Even if you only went on Mondays, that's still good and necessary "me" time. You might not be making the most of the membership, but you're making it work for you and that's what counts. For the price, I think it'd be worth it.

I would hesitate to try to go on a day when you just have 45 minutes. I've gone to the gym with friends and their kids before and more than once something happened that required them to visit the play room and console a child or pick him up and leave. 45 minutes doesn't really allow you much time to get ready/freshen up, deal with a potential issue (just the thought that I could get paged when I was pressed for time would stress me out), and get in a good workout.

I also like the idea of giving up one other activity each week (you could rotate or just see what looks least appealing) to allow yourself one extra day at the gym. You can always make up for it by putting on your own Rhyme Time or busting out the special occasion toys (pool, finger paints, family baking activity, etc.) later in the afternoon to make up for it.

Plus, you could also go on Saturdays. So that's 2-3 times a week during which you could get a good workout. :)

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagelola808:

I also like the idea of giving up one other activity each week (you could rotate or just see what looks least appealing) to allow yourself one extra day at the gym. You can always make up for it by putting on your own Rhyme Time or busting out the special occasion toys (pool, finger paints, family baking activity, etc.) later in the afternoon to make up for it.

Plus, you could also go on Saturdays. So that's 2-3 times a week during which you could get a good workout. :)

then I totally vote yes.  Getting you all 3 out of the house should count for an activity even if you are not with them.  They get a change in scenery, maybe interact with kids their age depending on who is there, and you get "me" time.  And I agree, you can always set aside special time at home to play replace whatever scheduled activity you guys might be missing out on.  And maybe once you get settled you can form your own mom/playgroup that meets in the afternoon :)

And I would definitely pay for a couple of training sessions at first so you can get some personalized advice and set up a training schedule and plan.  I always like to know exactly what I'm going to do once I get the gym - and I'm less likely to let myself off the hook (whereas if I wander aimlessly and decide to do some cardio on a machine by 17 or so mins. I can easily convince myself that 20, rather than 30, mins is totally acceptable... haha). 

• Options
    I voted yes... just b/c i feel like $14/hr for 4 Mondays a month is worth it for babysitting for 2 kids :) the gym stuff is just icing on the cake so to speak! ;) then I read the other responses below and definitely think yes, esp since you can sub a play group day for that. but even if you still only do Mondays I think it's worth it for you to get out, get some me time, and get some exercise :)
  • Options

imagemrspresley:
    I voted yes... just b/c i feel like $14/hr for 4 Mondays a month is worth it for babysitting for 2 kids :) the gym stuff is just icing on the cake so to speak! ;) then I read the other responses below and definitely think yes, esp since you can sub a play group day for that. but even if you still only do Mondays I think it's worth it for you to get out, get some me time, and get some exercise :)

This is a really good point! Especially considering regular babysitting is about $15/hr, so normally even just getting 2 baby-free hours a week would cost me $30. Big Smile

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"