May 2011 Moms

Am I missing something?

Everywhere we go, people check out DS, ask how old, and say, "What a big baby!" or "He's a bruiser!" or "You have a big boy there!"

Just last week we saw the pedi and he weighs 13 lbs., and is 24 1/4 in. in length.  He is in the 25th percentile.  I see other babies, and indeed he is bigger.  How is this possible?  I thought 25th percentile meant that he is larger than only 25% of most babies his age?  Am I misunderstanding?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Am I missing something?

• Maybe it's just his body type. K is arond 14 lbs for 5 months old(not sure of the percentile, maybe raond the 30th?) and people say she looks big. She has rolls everywhere, so I am sure that is what they are talking about.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • People are dumb.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageLisa Frank:
    People are dumb.

Yes

My baby is soooo big or soooo tiny depending on who we run into that day.  It's just like the stupid comments you get when pregnant.  people don't know when to shut up!

• Xander is almost 4 months, 25 inches and 13lbs. Everywhere I go I get "he's so tiny" "he must still be in newborn clothes" "He looks so little".

Because I have supply issues and struggle to keep him satisfied while supplementing as little as possible (because I don't want my supply to get any worse) I take those comments as "Oh, your poor baby must be starving!" "Have you talked to your doctor about failure to thrive" . . . Yeah I'm a little over sensitive.

(just so everyone here know I'm not starving him and he's gained 1lb in the last 2 weeks- I just feel like he will eat too much and spit-up everywhere if I let him- he's done it before)

• imageLisa Frank:
    People are dumb.

Yes 

• M is in the 98th percentile. EVERYONE thinks she's about 5/6 months old. It's the breast milk.
    imageimage
  • imageAngel0423:

imageLisa Frank:
    People are dumb.

Yes

My baby is soooo big or soooo tiny depending on who we run into that day.  It's just like the stupid comments you get when pregnant.  people don't know when to shut up!

haha yup. if my SIL says she is tiny one more timei might scream. she is normal!!!!1 14.5 pounds at least.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • People who know me say it all the time, but I understand where it comes from.  LO was born at 5lbs 15oz and was still at his low of 5lbs 9oz at 3 weeks old.  He finally made it past birth weight (a whopping 6 lbs) at 4 weeks old.  At 20 weeks old, he weighed 16 lbs.  I'm rather impressed at his 10 lbs in 16 weeks myself!
  • They say mine is small and she is off the charts in height and weight. 16lbs 10oz and 27 inches long at almost 4.5 months. I wouldnt worry about it...

• imageLisa Frank:
    People are dumb.

Yes

FWIW- My 3 month old is almost 15lbs!!!!! Surprise (born at 6.13)

DS  Desmond Alexander 6.9.11

DD  Vivienne Elena   12.16.13

? EDD 3/29/2018

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"