May 2011 Moms
Options

Gerber baby juice warning from Dr. Oz?

I didn't see the episode but I "like" Gerber on Facebook, so I saw the statement they posted last night and then spent way too long reading comments afterward.

Apparently, yesterday Dr. Oz tested juices on his show and Gerber apple juice for babies tested the highest for arsenic.  Gerber posted a statement on their website saying their tests they did in their own labs showed arsenic levels "safe for consumption."  There's a pretty heated debated about whether any levels of arsenic should be safe for consumption and how of course Gerber didn't find as high of levels when they did their own tests.  Apparently, their Facebook fan page lost quite a few fans after the episode and there's plenty of people posting that are angry.  However, plenty of people are defending Gerber on their page as well.  An issue a lot of people have is that they're outsourcing where they get their apples from instead of getting them in America.

I know our babies aren't old enough for juice yet, but I found the whole thing interesting.  Truthfully, I don't ever watch Dr. Oz so I don't know anything about him.  Anyone see this or have any thoughts?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Gerber baby juice warning from Dr. Oz?

• Options
    I saaw on the news last night other juice companies also arguing with Dr Oz results. apparently there are multiple types of arsenic and only one type that is dangerous...
  • Options

Isn't there arsenic in apple seeds? There's also trace arsenic in a lot of water supplies.

That said "baby juice" sounds like junk food to me. Why bother?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagetokenhoser:

Isn't there arsenic in apple seeds? There's also trace arsenic in a lot of water supplies.

Yes 

Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Options

Do you eat organic apples? Because if you don't, then you are consuming all sorts of junk via pesticides.

And I've been reading the debate, and now the FDA has stepped in and is calling him out on it.  

I know that there is junk in everything I put into mine or my kids bodies. So, is this shocking? Not in the least. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I agree with the PP. I do not plan on giving LO juice at all. Maybe once in a while as a special treat when he's older, but not on a daily basis.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagetokenhoser:

Yes there is.

ETA. Wait sorry it's cyanide., I was wrong.

Children should be seen, and heard, and believed. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagetokenhoser:

This!

• Options
    We use the Gerber apple prune baby juice when Noah is constipated, but that's it. It's the one our pedi recommended, but I wouldn't give it just to give the baby juice. If he has any juice it's going to be some veggie fruit medley made at home in a juicer
  • Options
    imagekacelle:
    imagetokenhoser:

Yes 

YesYes

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Apparently there is organic and inorganic arsenic and only inorganic is bad for you. The test Dr. Oz did does not distinguish between organic and inorganic. Organic arsenic comes from the soil and is not harmful. I agree that kids don't need juice and my ds probably won't have very much of it.

• Options

https://www.fda.gov/Food/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/ucm271746.htm

Read the two letters from the FDA to "Dr" Oz.

Husband has cystic fibrosis. I'm a carrier. We did TESE, IVF, ICSI, and PGD. After two failed IVFs, we were blessed with our twins.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"