TTC after 35
Options

I'm new. What do I do next?

I had a chemical pregnancy in 2009 at age 34 the first time I tried to get pregnant. I got pregnant the next month. Gave birth to my daughter at age 35. I am ready for #2. I am 36 but will turn 37 next month. My husband is 37. We have been trying for 7 months. My mom started menopause early at age  37. My cycles changed starting last January. I was a regular 28 day girl. Now, they come every 24-26 days. I called my OB after 6 months and he checked my progesterone level. It came back normal today. I tried the cheap OPKs for a month and had a hard time reading them. I used the CBE Digital Ovulation tests last month and got a smiley face. Have not started charting. I felt like that would make me start to obsess about it all. But, I decided today that I am obsessed already. I cannot take hormones. So, I don't think I could take clomid. I had two large blood clots in my lungs in 2008. Hormones would put me at risk for that to happen again.  What do I do next? Should I ask my OB for more lab tests or should I go to an RE now?

Thanks!

Re: I'm new. What do I do next?

• Options

I would suggest that if you can swing it, go straight to see an RE. You have been at this longer than 6 months, so going right to an RE makes sense. You can get tested to see what is going on with your current fertility status. As far as treatments, you are putting the cart before the horse. There are lots of things that an RE may suggest for treatment, and clomid may or may not be one of them.

Clomid, I also would like to point out, is not exactly a hormone. It does resemble one, and works by blocking the estrogen receptor, which causes a negative feedback that makes the body release more FSH and LH-- thus making more eggs form than normally would without the drug.

Good luck!

IVF #1 ET 1 d3 embryo 10/30/11 BFP
    3 Embryos frozen (1 d5, 2 d6)

DS born 07/29/12

FET #1 ET 1 d5 embryo 02/10/15 BFN

FET #2 1 d6 embryo didn't survive thaw, transferred last d6. CP :(

• Options
    Skip the OB and go straight to an RE.  OB's are great once you're already pregnant, don't even know to do all of the testing that RE's will do.  I would do this sooner, rather than later, in light of the history of early menopause in your family.  There are meds beside clomid that might work without as much risk to you, and RE's will actually monitor you regularly if they put you on something (unlike most OB's, which will send you home with clomid and tell you to come back in three months if it doesn't work -- at least, that's what mine did).  Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I would see an RE but if you don't want to, your OB can check your FSH/estrogen level.  If you are approaching menopause, your FSH level will be very high.  FSH/E2 needs to be drawn on CD3 though or it won't tell you the real story.

TTC #1 since 8/1/10; Me:41 and BRCA1+, DH:46
    DOR (FSH 24.3)/ terrible egg quality ; homozygous MTHFR c677t
    5 IUI's: 2/11 to 6/11 and 1/12= BFN
    OE IVF#1-4 8/11-6/12= all BFN
    DE IVF#1 11/12 bad embryos= BFN
    DE IVF #2 2/13 BFP/Beta hell: m/c 5w6d
    CFNBC 7 months, not doing well; decided on guarantee program at RBA w/frozen DE
    DE IVF #3 1/14  ET 4BB; BFP;M/C 5w1d, incomplete m/c; MVA extraction in ER 7w1d

DE FET#1 ET 3/1714; BFP, beta 1 3/27= 197, beta 2 3/31= 1586, beta 3 4/7= 13879!!
    First u/s= Twins with HBs at 6w2d! We are Team Pink x 2!!

K & K born 11/21/14 at 38wks 4 days

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

http://waitingforraintostop.wordpress.com

• Options
    Thanks for the replies. I called my OB today to see what else he was willing to do. He suggested Robitussin to thin my cervical mucus or going to an RE to talk IUI. I'm moving on!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"