Baby Names

Is it weird to name child after a living sibling?

Earlier today I had lunch with a friend and we got into a conversation about what name DH and I would have gone with had this little one been a boy. I told her that we had agreed that if it was a boy we would name him Nathan Christopher after DH's younger and only brother (Christopher is his brothers first name.) DH wanted to do this because he has a large extended family that he is not close to at all. His brother is really the only family he has (well besides his parents) and they have an extremely close bond that DH treasures. 

I always thought it was sweet but after I told my friend this, she gave me this look as if I was crazy and said that she thought it was weird to name a child after their aunt/uncle unless they tragically passed away or something of that nature. It really shocked me because I wasn't expecting that reaction and I still don't really see the issue with it or how it would be considered "weird." 

What are your thoughts on this? Is it weird or totally okay? 

Re: Is it weird to name child after a living sibling?

• I wouldn't bat an eye.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • One of my friends recently named her daughter after her sister -  Lindsay - who is still very much alive. I think it's sweet and if it's what you want to do, go for it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I think it's perfectly fine... no one is going to mix them up or anything.

• So funny (& glad) you posted this because I was wondering the same thing. We love the name Nicholas which is my fiance's brother's name. We wouldn't be naming him after his brother, but we love the name and want to think about using it! I'm curious to see the posts.

In my opinion, I don't think it is weird!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If our baby is a boy, his middle name will be Scott because DH and I both have a brother named Scott.  I don't think it is weird at all.
  • Not weird at all, infact I think it's really sweet.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I don't see anything wrong with it, I think it's great that he and his brother are close and I think it would be a wonderful way to honor him.

My only concern would be if his brother has a son, would he want to name his own son after himself? I only ask because my SIL wants to give her (future) son my husbands name as a middle name. We had already planned on using DH's name as a middle name for our (future)son. I know it's totally hypothetical but for some reason it bothers me:S  It's probably just me though, I am 40 weeks preggo and feeling hormonal!!!

• I have a rule to not name any of my kids after anyone in the family. That being said, My middle name is Angela after my grandma, the cousin born right after me, her first name is Angela. My siblings are all named after someone and there are 6 of us. My older sister named after an aunt (Jennifer), oldest brother named after both grandpa's (Joseph Robert), 2nd oldest brother named after my dad and grandma (Leonard Patrick- grandma Patricia), next brother named after an uncle (Francisco- goes by Frank, doesn't have any kids of his own), me- grandma, little sister's middle name after a great grandma (Kathleen).

We tend to reuse names, which is why I have 2 cousins named Judy. Growing up it was big Judy and little Judy. Which is not cool.

a>Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker
  • Not weird, but even less weird is you were using it as a MN.
  • In some religions/cultures, you only name a child after a relative if they are deceased. But in American culture overall, it's definitely fine to name a child after a living relative! And I think the fact that his name will be a mn, it's totally not a big deal, even for future cousins.
  • I don't think it's weird at all. 
  • I don't see how this would be weird at all... People name children after their (living) parents and after themselves all the time - why would a sibling be any different?  
    11 months old! #andintoeverything
  • In my religion it's consider really bad form to name after a living person.  For lack of a better word it puts a "curse" on the child - that the angel of death may become confused and take them instead of their namesake.  I'm superstitious so I'd never name after someone living.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My niece (sister's daughter) has two middle names, one of which is my first name.  If we get to have another DD her middle name will be Ming after my sister.  I think it's totally normal for a MN but I wouldn't do it as a FN.
    Dee Dee DS Elijah Xin 3/11/05 DD Evangeline Mei 8/24/06
  • Is your friend Jewish? I know in that religion it's only acceptable to name a child after a deceased relative, not a living one.

My middle name is after my great-grandmother, who was alive when I was born.

BFP #1: 3.28.11 Dx w/ PIH @ 24w DS Born @ 36w: 11.7.11 6 Days in NICU
    BFP #2: 8.31.16 Dx w/ GD @ 28w DD Born @ 36w: 4.21.17

• I don't think it's weird at all. My one brother is named after my (alive and kicking) uncle, so in our family there's an "uncle Pierre" and "Pierre". When we named our DD (Milla), we couldn't find a good MN to go with, so we ended up using my SIL's first name, Nicole. We didn't do it to honor her, (although she does feel like it), we just liked the name. Go for it, it's not weird at all.
  • She's stupid.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    TTC since 6/02 (age 22) K/U instantly despite no AF for 5 months--preemie baby boy 1/03
    M/C 11/04 - M/C 05 - M/C 06 - BFP 2/08--fullterm baby girl 10/08 - M/C 4/11 - went to RE at age 31
    DX: crappy quality & infrequent ovulation, mild MFI
    Stimmed cycle #1 C/P 7/11 - Stimmed cycle #2 C/P 8/11 - Stimmed cycle #4 C/P 10/11
    On Stimmed Cycle #5
    Always thought I'd be a "mom of many"--now just hoping to be a "mom of one or two more!"
  • I wouldn't think twice about it.  If either DH or I had a brother we would absolutely use his name as a MN for our LO.  Most of my relatives are named after living family members, myself and DS included.
    * DS1...allergic to dairy, peanuts, eggs and turkey *
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

love is for every her, love is for every him, love is for everyone
  • I don't think it's weird at all.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• I don't see a problem, actually I think is very sweet

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • DS's first name is my father's name, and his middle name is DH's father's name, both of whom are alive. Our name for a someday daughter, Claire Anastasia, is DH's and my grandmother's first names, although both are deceased. We like the idea of a namesake.

I do agree with PP that in your situation, you need to consider if BIL would want to name his own future son after himself.

• i don't think it's weird at all.
  • Not weird at all. By the title of your post I thought you meant your child's sibling (as in, name your baby after your other child) which would be weird. But people name their kids after living people all the time- my son's middle name is after my dad, I was named after my grandma, my dad's middle name was after his dad...

Now that I think of it, my husband's brother named his first-born after my husband.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think it depends on your own beliefs. DH is Jewish and the custom is not to name someone after a living relative. After being with him for so long and thinking about it, I now do feel a little superstitious about naming a child after a living person. Nonetheless, I have plenty of family members named after living relatives (including a brother who is a "junior") and nothing bad has come of it except the inevitable confusion of two people with the same name.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It isn't weird.  You are using it as a MN anyway.  Someoen mentioned that one of their relative is using thier DH's name as a MN and they were also planning on using it as MN.  I don't  that situation is weird either.  If you used BIL's FN and he had plans to name a son JR. it would be a dfifferent ball game.
    dd(Brianna) 11/01/94, ds(Bram)10/17/95, ds(Jesse)9/26/97, dd (Annie Ruth) 7/27/05 5mc Jan '08, May '08, Feb '09, Sept '09, Apr '11 "And can it be that in a world so full and busy, the loss of one weak creature makes a void in any heart, so wide and deep that nothing but the width and depth of vast eternity can fill it up." - Charles Dickens

PAL/PGAL Welcome

• My older sister is my best friend. DD's middle name is my sister's first name. Actually, DD's first name is similar to my sister's middle name as well.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I don't see anything wrong with it.  My niece was named after me (first name) and I love it!! 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think it's fine--but talk to him first.  My sister reversed my name for her daughter--named Anne Elizabeth and I'm Elizabeth Ann--and she never mentioned it to me.  We don't have the best relationship to begin with, but the fact she never asked how I'd feel about it pissed me off.  If she had asked, I would have been fine with it.

mm 2/17/11 * dd born 4/20/12 * bo 1/3/14 * edd 1/211/15 

• It is totally okay! I have a goddaughter who is named after me, and I never for a second was weirded out by it. Actually, I find it extremely flattering!
    Cole Joseph 7/05/07

Nora Anne 11/03/12
    9lbs, 6oz
  • imageSillylily19:

Earlier today I had lunch with a friend and we got into a conversation about what name DH and I would have gone with had this little one been a boy. I told her that we had agreed that if it was a boy we would name him Nathan Christopher after DH's younger and only brother (Christopher is his brothers first name.) DH wanted to do this because he has a large extended family that he is not close to at all. His brother is really the only family he has (well besides his parents) and they have an extremely close bond that DH treasures. 

I always thought it was sweet but after I told my friend this, she gave me this look as if I was crazy and said that she thought it was weird to name a child after their aunt/uncle unless they tragically passed away or something of that nature. It really shocked me because I wasn't expecting that reaction and I still don't really see the issue with it or how it would be considered "weird." 

What are your thoughts on this? Is it weird or totally okay? 

How rude. To each is their own I guess. But DH and I have Riley Vanessa on our list after is younger(very much alive) sister Laura Vanessa. We even told my SIL and she is so flattered. I don't think someone has to be dead to be named after, how morbid... :/ 

Dx w/Intrahepatic Cholestasis of Pregnancy 3/3/12
    Induced 3/13/12 @ 37w2d | DD born 3/14/12 6:31pm 6lbs 15oz 19"
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • If my DS was a girl, I was thinking of naming him after my living sister. I know some cultures think it's bad luck to name a child after somone still living, but I don't mind it and think it's a special thing to do.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Ditto on wondering if she's Jewish.

H and I have family names we'd like to use. Most of the people our children would be named after are dead. But if we have a second boy (already have the middle picked for first boy) I'd love to use my brother's name - Matthew - as a middle name. My brother's middle name is John, which is my father's name and HIS father's name. All 3 of them were at one point alive at the same time. Heck, my grandmother had the same first and middle name as her mother.

my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • imageLeah&Jack:
    I don't think it's weird at all.

Me either.  But I know in some cultures (Jewish?) that you don't name a baby after a person who is still alive. 

Although, I could be completely wrong... 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Eleanor Noelle - 18/05/12 Claire Elisabeth - 16/-5/10
  • Thats not weird. Confused to your friend.
  • A middle name, no. If you had done a first name, I might side-eye a bit. It would get confusing!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker BFP 04/15/2011; M/C 04/21/2011 Sleep with Jesus sweet baby.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"