Eco-Friendly Family
Options

Ziploc bags

The plastic crusade continues... How have you guys replaced ziploc bags? I mostly use them to bring snacks with me - dried fruit, nuts, baby carrots, etc. Any ideas? Btw I asked on here a few weeks ago about tupperware, and I've now mostly replaced it with a pyrex alternative. I love the new ones!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Ziploc bags

• Options
    We have replaced all ziploc bags in the house with reusable sandwich and snack bags.  I bought mine from LoveForEarth on Etsy but I know girls on here have other favorites too.
  • Options
    I can't say we're totally plastic-bag free. I use them for freezing grains, but I do wash and reuse. For out-and-about, it's reusable glass containers.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

For bringing snacks I use pyrex or I have small glass bowls from Pampered Chef that I LOVE that are ideal for snack amounts.  They're prep bowls - I'm sure you can find something equivalent from another manufacturer. 

We really only use ziploc bags now for food storage (some freezing of soups/breast milk, and fridge items where I really want to get as much air out as possible).

• Options

I'd get a few reusable baggies. They don't need to be fancy velcro or zipper ones, but they're a nice addition. I have several of the zippered, coated ones (I bought a 3 pack of snack size ones for $9 on sale, woo!) for wet foods like carrots, and I use some like this for other dry foods.

https://www.reuseit.com/store/reuseit-produce-snack-organic-cotton-muslin-p-689.html

I use the large version to pack my lunch in, as well as for produce bags at the grocery. I also use these kind for stuff that's sticky, like sandwiches, because there's no lint on them. 

https://www.reuseit.com/store/reuseit-snack-stuff-sack-recycled-p-1378.html

• Options
    Those are great suggestions, thank you! I think pyrex would be a little heavy/bulky to carry around, but I will defiitely check out the reuseable bags.
  • Options

Yep, reusable bags are the sh!t.

But I also have to confess that my tolerance for all things Ziploc has gone up (and my consumption) after finding out 2 things:

1. They make a 2-gallon freezer bag that can fit an entire brisket or chicken in, which is awesome for getting meat on sale.

2. THEY ARE RECYCLABLE IN L.A.!!!  Woohoo! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"