Connecticut Babies
Options

Has anyone delivered at Yale New Haven?

The Doctor's office where I go told me that I would be giving birth at Yale.  At first I was very happy about that, until I heard from a friend that Yale does NOT like giving epidurals because they promote natural birth only.  This is my first child, and I am terrified of the pain, and always assumed I would have an epidural.  Does anyone have any input?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Has anyone delivered at Yale New Haven?

• Options

I have had several friends who delivered at Yale New Haven and had epidurals and or other pain meds.  I would just make sure you that discuss it with your Dr. and have it on your birth plan. Do you have a Doula?  If so make sure they are aware as well.  Get everyone on the same page so when the time comes you can make the choices/decisions asap. I have never heard of them not giving it if asked.  I am going to deliver at YNH around Dec 7 and am concerned about just the opposite.

Good Luck!! 

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    This is my first and I'm planning on delivering at Yale and I'm also planning on having an epidural, I hadn't heard that about Yale but I'm sure if it's part of your birth plan you can get one.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

All but one person I know who have given birth at Yale had epis with out any problems.  And the one that didn't was DH's niece and she didn't want one however, she had them done with her first two kids she just wanted to go natural this time.

ETA- OP your friend has been very misinformed.  Also note that YNNH is a teaching hospital- they want to give the students all the exposure/experience they can  so I don't think they'll fight with you about wanting the procedure done.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    The person that told you that is very wrong. I just had my baby on 9/10/11 at Yale. I ended up needing an epidural and got one with no problem. My Dr is the one that offered it to me also. You should talk to your dr about your plans. And just so you know the epidural is a lot of pain in itself. Also you should be happy because all the people I have dealt with have been wonderful.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I delivered at Yale and had an epidural.  They were very accommodating to whatever you want.  The do push for BFing and no c/s unless medically necessary, but I don't think those are bad things.  Overall, I had a good experience at Yale.
    My Blog: http://krate24.blogspot.com/ Heather Ann, born still on Jan. 26, 2009 at 27w2d. <a href="http://s1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa361/krate24/?action=view
  • Options

I delivered at Yale in August and had an epidural.  They are very accommodating and asked me for my preferences once we got settled in.  Just speak with your nurse (they were wonderful on L&D and in recovery) and doctor about any special things when you arrive. 

Eff Yeah! Mighty Ducks
    Oct '14 September Siggy Challenge
    Teenage Crush

DD: E, 8/20/11
    DS: N, 7/11/13

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"