March 2012 Moms
Options

Thoughts on Seared Tuna?

Sorry, probably a newbie question.  I avoided sushi last time and will this time too (not a favorite anyway) but I love seared tuna and we're going out tonight so wanted to hear thoughts.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Thoughts on Seared Tuna?

• Options
    Yum. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think tuna is one of the fish they say to avoid.

chaseandchristian again

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was just reading WTEWYE last night and it specifically says not to eat seared tuna since it's still really raw in the middle and the middle doesn't get heated up.  I personally wouldn't do it.  The only sushi you should eat is that with thoroughly cooked fish in it.  But again, that's only if you put a lot of stock in those sorts of recommendations.  I'm sure some girls on the board would indulge in some seared tuna if it was a once in a great while thing.  I just personally wouldn't do it.
  • Options

Generally I am an "everything in moderation" kind of person, but tuna (steaks, not canned) and other larger fish like swordfish have higher mercury so I would avoid. It is actually one of the few things I cut out all together while pregnant.

image        image
  • Options
    Well, I don't touch canned tuna fish and rarely eat fresh fish due to keeping the grocery budget low so I am not concerned about mercury (I haven't even had fish once this pregnancy so it isn't like I get much exposure).  But it is probably better for me to avoid b/c it isn't cooked like Cho said :(  So sad....
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm assuming for a seared tuna steak they would be using ahi tuna and that is specifically on the list of fish to avoid on the link in our blog. I wouldn't do it. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I personally wouldn't eat it because everything I have read, or heard: no raw fish, whatsoever. When I have sushi I eat the cooked, vegetable, crab etc.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary image Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imageCrisM022:

I was told it is fine once a week. I forget the amount...  

• Options

It sounds sinfully delicious... 

Canned tuna is ok, as long as you limit it to 6oz a week. 

I cannot wait until the twins are born so I can indulge in the sushi and sake fantasies I've been having... til then, cooked rolls and unagi for me!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    No for two reasons, high in mercury and should be avoided and it is still raw where not seared.... I love it too but will enjoy some sushi at the hospital after my LO is born (we did it last time as well after delivery)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lost our first angel, 10/24/08 7w6d
    Proud mama to Cameron
    Lost our second angel, 2/16/11 8w
    Proud mama to Melanie
  • Options

imageCrisM022:

This, my husband says because it has a higher mercury content than other fish.  I don't know but I just avoid to be safe.  I love Salmon though.  YUMM!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It's a GIRL!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageBabymamawithdrama:
    No for two reasons, high in mercury and should be avoided and it is still raw where not seared.... I love it too but will enjoy some sushi at the hospital after my LO is born (we did it last time as well after delivery)

This. It's basically raw tuna and no different than sushi. My doc said not to eat ANY meat that is undercooked including burgers and steaks, they need to be well done. Also, we are supposed to stay away from any "heavy" fish because they live longer and accumulate more mercury.

• Options

damn i miss seared tuna. it is my MOST FAVORITE. i get the seared pepper tuna every time we get sushi as my appetizer.

but yeah i wont do it. last time at the very end of my pregnancy i had a few pieces of spicy tuna roll but just once.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"