Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

NTR: Do you really need a winter maternity coat??

I figured there are enough ladies here to ask who were pregnant during the winter :)

DD was born in Oct so this wasn't an issue but #2 is due next March and I live in New England. Obviously I won't be able to button my winter wool coats but I don't think I usually buttoned them anyway. The prices are just so crazy for something I'm only going to wear 3-4 months.

Thoughts/suggestions from those who were very pregnant in cold climates during winter?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: NTR: Do you really need a winter maternity coat??

• I stayed fairly comfortable during the winter months when I was pregnant (she was born in March). I am in NC so it doesn't get too cold here...but I definitely didn't need one, I was wearing short sleeves, I had my own little incubator. 
  • Personally, I needed one and DS was born in January. I got a nice gap one on ebay though because I couldn't see spening all the money for something I wouldn't get a ton of use out of.
    "Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

TTC #1- unexplained...lost left ovary 4/07 IUI #1 2/10/09-BFN IUI #2 3/5/09-BFN IVF # 1-BFP

TTC#2- FET 4/7/11 BFP, Natural mc 5/5/11 IVF#2 ER 9/13/11, ET 9/16/11, Beta #1 9/27/11 BFP 254 Beta #2 9/30/11 793 -Twins!

• Loading the player...
  • I went to Salvation Army to see what they had and ended up just buying a very large jacket for under $20.
  • What I did was buy a maternity fleece jacket for like $20 on sale at Old Navy. I wore that (and zipped it up) under my normal coat, and then I just left my normal coat open or buttoned the top. Worked fine for me, and it's freezing in Chicago! Plus, I take public transport everywhere and do a lot of walking.
  • I just got a plus sized coat at Target.  It wasn't as expensive as a maternity coat and I could button it up just fine.  The arms were a little big but I didn't really care.

image image
  • i didnt have a mat. winter coat. i live in Buffalo and LO was born in April. I wore my non-maternity pea coat all winter. i was constantly sweating and didnt even WANT to wear a coat. i got to the point of just not buttoning it or just buttoning the top button if needed. one thing though, boots were a PAIN to put on, i couldnt reach my feet so Ugg-type boots were best so i didnt have to tie them or anything.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I couldn't stand to put a huge winter coat on when I was pregnant. I was so uncomfortable and hot that a winter coat was not happening.
  • I got mine at Target for like $40.  It wasn't that thick, but at least I could button it. 
  • I just bought a extra large jacket from walmart.  it was ugly, but it was only $10 and kept me warm!
    If the sun refused to shine, I would still be loving you. When mountains crumble to the sea, there will still be you and me. - Led Zeppelin
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
    imageimage image
    Chemical Pregnancy 10/5/10
    BFP 2/7/11--m/c 2/12/11
    TTD pics taken by knottie jen&louie :o)
  • My DD was born in March and I was so thankful I bought one. I just got it from Old Navy, I don't think it was too expensive.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD3 was born in May and we live in frigid ND.  A friend gave me an XL coat that she used during her PG, so I wore that.  I could button it where I couldn't my regular coats.  One of my neighbors did not know I was PG while out removing snow all winter until the snow melted and I was almost due.  (We typically have snow from Nov-March at least).
  • I went through the whole winter in NYC in a regular coat when I was pg with my daughter.  When I couldn''t zip it closed anymore, I just wore it open, which was fine because I was constatntly sweating and think I would have felt like I was suffocating in a heavy zipped up coat.
  • I bought a yoga pant and sweatshirt set from old navy and wore the sweatshirt all winter (well January).   It snowed really hard in December and I didn't have a warm enough jacket but it only lasted a week.   I knew #3 was my last pregnancy and only winter baby, so I didn't feel the need to puchase one.   Had I planned subsequent pregnancies I might have, they are cheap enough at ON. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was pregnant through winter and didn't buy a 'maternity' coat.  I bought a coat with this kind of style and it worked great!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Eleanor Noelle - 18/05/12 Claire Elisabeth - 16/-5/10
  • Both my kids were born in August, so my winter pregnancy was in the beginning, but I would imagine that if you layer up you'd be okay.  I don't see the need for buying a maternity winter coat.  Add a few layers under your regular coat.  I was always hot when pregnant in the winter, so maybe that will be enough.
    Big Brother Logan Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Miles Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Bryan Smith - Freelance Photography Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • DD1 was born in January and we live right off of Lake Erie so we get hammered with snow in the winter. I absolutely needed a maternity coat for winter; I couldn't even come close to buttoning my pre-pregnancy coats at 8 and 9 months pregnant and I would have froze otherwise.

You can always check out consignment stores or eBay for a gently used one to keep to cost down.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Well I'm a bit further north then you and I need a winter coat.  Winter coats are out from late October to early April and since I was due with my first in February and now my second in January, which can be the coldest two months of the year, I bought one.  Plus, pregnancy does this weird thing on me and actually makes me colder then normal.  So I definately needed something that would do up!

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• I did but I just waited for a big sale and got one at Old Navy.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• I got a wool one at Old Navy that was longer and it was maybe $35. I worked at the time and wouldn't have made it through the winter with out one. I didn't buy a lot of bulky maternity clothing so I needed something warm to layer to and from work. I also bought a down vest on sale at GAP and layered it over sweaters or a fleece jacket. I loaned both to two friends and then sold it at a resale shop. Maybe check at your local consignment or resale shop? 
  • imagefitmama11:
    My DD was born in March and I was so thankful I bought one. I just got it from Old Navy, I don't think it was too expensive.

This exactly.  I live in the midwest and we had a REALLY cold, snowy winter that year.  I wasn't going to get one but DH insisted on it.  Old Navy has really good sales on them pretty regularly.  It was worth every penny to me.

• I live in MN and DD was born in Jan and I never spent the money on a mat coat. I just did what several others did and wore a sweatshirt or fleece for layering and then left the coat open.
  • I live in the mountains of NC (not like the rest of NC) and it gets cold and very windy. I did need a coat. What I did was find a coat that I could wear pregnant and not. I found a kinda dressy/classy long wool coat that only buttoned at the top and had a belt around the waist. The belt was plenty big enough to go around my preggo tummy. I would try to get something like that so it isn't a waste of money at all.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I needed one off and on with DD so i got a XXL or something crazy for like $20. But this time since i'll be pregnant until the end of Feb I got a maternity one from Motherhood on sale for $40!
  • imageMrsWindyCity:
    What I did was buy a maternity fleece jacket for like $20 on sale at Old Navy. I wore that (and zipped it up) under my normal coat, and then I just left my normal coat open or buttoned the top. Worked fine for me, and it's freezing in Chicago! Plus, I take public transport everywhere and do a lot of walking.

I did pretty much the same.  I wore a thick button down sweater under my normal coat and did not button it.  I was fine -- we get pretty cold here in NY also -- and I take public transprotation too :)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • DS was a Jan baby, so I was huge during Dec/Jan when it was really cold and windy.  I didn't buy a maternity coat.  I just wore my biggest, loosest coat until it wouldn't button, and then I stole one of DH's heavy coats.  Was it super stylish?  No, but it was really only the last few weeks that I needed it anyway, and by that point, I couldn't have cared less.

• I live in Philly and had DD in December.  I didn't get get a winter coat, i just layered up under maternity sweaters and wore my regular coats open, with scarfs.  I walked about a mile to work most days and took a lot of public transport so I was outside a ton and never remember being cold.  
  • imageMrsWindyCity:
    What I did was buy a maternity fleece jacket for like $20 on sale at Old Navy. I wore that (and zipped it up) under my normal coat, and then I just left my normal coat open or buttoned the top. Worked fine for me, and it's freezing in Chicago! Plus, I take public transport everywhere and do a lot of walking.

I was thinking something along these lines.

I live in Seattle, so I was able to get by with just my regular jackets, and would just bundle up underneath. Also, I would wear a big scarf that hung down long enough to keep me warm.

Our first baby girl, Lucia Joy, joined us on April 1, 2010!
  • I live in MN and DD was born in mid February.  I did not wear a coat, I used a thick hoodie.  I was never cold, but only walked to my car.  I kept blankets in my car just in case I broke down.
    photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"