May 2011 Moms
Options

Anyone else scared to put LO in crib?

So, we planned on transitioning DS from his cradle in our room to his crib this week. The problem is, he is rolling onto his belly and wanting to sleep on his side or stomach. I am petrified, because he can't roll himself back over. He has great head control and doesn't smash his face into the mattress, but all the SIDs talk scares me. He can't sleep in the cradle anymore, because he rolls and knocks it off it's locks. So we have him in the nap nanny in our room. I know I'm just delaying the process, but I'm scared of SIDS! 

Anyone else scared to transition them? Am I being insane? 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Anyone else scared to put LO in crib?

• Options
    M has been in her crib since 2 months. She's survived fine.
    imageimage
  • Options

I was scared to do it too.  I put it off a few weeks longer than I wanted to. 

He survived and so did I.  Your LO will be fine. It'll be rougher on you! 

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My daughter has been in her crib for weeks. Now, if I could only sleep in my own bed (I have been sleeping on the bed in the nursery for weeks too!)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    It's harder for us than it is for them!!  I picked a date to move him, and when that date came, I stuck to it.  You can do it!
  • Options
    LO has been in her crib since she was four days old, so no.
  • Options

DD has been in her crib since 6 wks old.  She has been rolling onto her tummy for 2 weeks now to sleep.  Her Peditrician said to make sure that there is nothing in the crib and only a breathable bumper ~ as long as she is the one turning on her tummy, it is safe for her to sleep like that.  He said to always lay her down on her back.

Do you have a video monitor? We just got one.  The regular one had me getting up every time I woke up to check on her once she started rolling.  She's been fine though, she cries if she finds herself in a spot that makes her unhappy.

Good luck! The first few nights are the hardest, but it does get better!  I found we sleep much better with her in her own room.

~~~I am MrsPLW71~~~ Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

My Birth Story
  • Options

Ha.  I'm all about putting the kid in the crib, but I think the reason that my DH is still wishing that he stay in the bassinet in our bedroom is because he usually is the one that gets up and picks up DS when he cries and brings him over to me to nurse, then burps him when he's done and puts him down to sleep, so I'm guessing that he's all "I'd prefer to just get up from my bed and help you out when DS is in my side and I do a minimal walk" than having to go ALL the way two doors down and do the same.

Not that he'd HAVE to, but he likes to help me out this way.  So he pulls the "SIDS potential card".  I guess I can't complain too much.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    DD has been in her crib since we moved (she was 9 weeks old).  Both of us get more sleep that way.  
    Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Options
    if you have a pack and play, I recommend setting that up in your room, away from your bed.  Do that for a couple weeks until you are comfortable, then move into crib.  It would give you time to get used to the larger space and LO rolling.
  • Options
    I slept on the floor of LO's bedroom for 2 months after we put him in his crib.  I dont know what I thought it would solve, but it made me feel better.
  • Options
    We had every intention of having DS sleep in our room for a couple of months-but we moved him into his crib when he was about 3 weeks old. He used to grunt all.the.time. And his grunting would wake us up, so we hardly slept with him in our room. It was hard-and sometimes still is. I check on him often, but he seems to be just fine.
  • Options

imagepook:

This...  She's been in her crib in her own room since the day we got home from the hospital.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Terrified.

He sleeps from 10-12 in there...but then when he gets up to nurse I take him into the bed with me and we both sleep the night in the bed. Huh? 

When we move this month, I think we'll start the transition, but I'm not sure. I don't want to put a time limit on it.

Photobucket
  • Options
    I am also nervous about moving LO to his own room. He has rolled on his face a couple times, like smushed it right into the mattress in the PNP and it seemed like it was hard for him to breathe. I would wait a few seconds to see if he would roll his head back, but when he doesn't I give him a little nudge and he rolls and takes a huge deep breath. I keep thinking what if I wasn't there to nudge him? Would he eventually move? I have slept like crap ever since he learned to roll, and that is with him right next to me, I would get no sleep at all if I thought of him rolling on his face down the hall. I am just not ready and I am not going to do it until I am.

DS1 Born Apr 29 2011

DS2 Born Nov 5 2013

Pregnant with #3 Dec 24 2014, MMC found at 10w, D&C Feb 10th 2015

Cautious BFP May 25th 2015 EDD Feb 6 2016

• Options
    Have you looked into the Angelcare monitor?  I was also terrified to move DS into his crib, but once we got the Angelcare hooked up I actually felt MORE secure having him in his crib.  I felt like something else was monitoring his breathing so I didn't have to.  We both sleep better that way.  DS has been in his crib for about a month now.  We used to put him in the crib from 8:00-10:00, then we would bring him in our room and have him sleep in the PNP.  I just made a game-time decision one night and decided to leave him in his crib.  You can do it! =)
  • Options
    We plan to transition them once they STTN, which hasn't happened yet. It's just too convenient right now for them to be right beside my bed.
    imageimageimage

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

DS has been in his crib in his room since day one (and we've had a twin bed in the nursery) but I can see where it would be scarier to start the crib once LO is rolling over onto his stomach. We didn't have to worry about that originally.

Our doctor basically told us that if he's strong enough to roll over, he's strong enough to keep his face out of the mattress. It's still a little unnerving, though, after all the 'back to sleep' training.

• Options

We have had baby in her crib in another room from the first night home - but we don't worry, because we use the Snuza - in this link:

https://www.amazon.com/Snuza-Portable-Movement-Monitor-Orange/dp/B002WLGV08

We clip it on to her diaper and as long as it detects even the subtlest breathing movement, the green light flashes. If it stops detecting her tummy rising and falling for 15 seconds, a loud beeping alarm goes off.

It really gives us peace of mind!!

• Options

I know I'm having a cranky day, but I really think you're over reacting. We've had B in his crib since he came home from the hospital, and he's fine. He even naps in there.

And god forbid, we have a bumper on the back panel of the crib.......

take your time, but don't worry about it.  

• Options
    imageEJensify:

Terrified.

He sleeps from 10-12 in there...but then when he gets up to nurse I take him into the bed with me and we both sleep the night in the bed. Huh? 

When we move this month, I think we'll start the transition, but I'm not sure. I don't want to put a time limit on it.

We do this too. I put him in his crib (which is in our room, ha) when he falls asleep (around 7:30) and move him into our bed when he wakes up for his first feeding (around 1 or 2).  I don't get to see him much during the day, so this is our QT.

I'm hoping he'll just start sleeping through the night to make the transition easier for all of us.  Regardless, we'll move him and his crib into his nursery when he's 6 months and the likelihood of dying from SIDS decreases. Maybe.

SIDS scares the crap out of me and I don't think there's any harm in this. 

• Options
    mine has been sleeping in her crib on her tummy since 5 weeks. She sleeps way better on her tummy and we all sleep better in our own rooms! As long as you have a nice tight fitted sheet and a breathable bumper and nothing else it will be fine. There are baby monitors that you can put under the crib sheet and it detects breathing. that would help ease your mine a little
  • Options

imagepook:

This.

DD1: May 2011
    DD2: February 2014

• Options
    LO has been in his crib since 7 weeks, and he's been rolling back-to-belly (but not belly-to-back) for almost a month, so he nearly always sleeps on his front.  It WAS a little unnerving at first, but honestly, it's not like sleeping on their front is instant death.  The entire previous generation of parents was told that their babies HAD to sleep on their bellies and that babies who slept on their backs would choke to death on their own spit-up.  The vast majority of those belly-sleeping babies are just fine.  We know now that back is a bit better for sleeping, but honestly, it's just a matter of decreasing the already-tiny risk by a couple percentage points - it's not as huge a deal in reality as it is in our minds.
  • Options
    I put her in there when my hubby was sick and I didnt want her to get sick so thought it was the best time to try it out. she ended up sleeping 10hrs and has ever since. i have the angelcare monitor and video monitor which help me sleep better at night. we both get better sleep with her being in her own room. 
  • Options
    Nope, I am actually really looking forward to it.  DD has been in our room and at 4 months we will put her in the crib, in her own room and attempt CIO if she's still not STTN.  I need my sanity back.  Tongue Tied
  • Options
    My DS has been in his crib from about 4 weeks and he does just fine in it! I know it can be hard at first, but your LO will do just fine!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"