Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Gymboree vs The Little Gym vs My Gym

DD will be turning 3 within the next month, and I would like to get her into something so she can exert her energy and socialize as well as learn since she isn't enrolled in day care at this point. We have all three places within an reasonable drive for us, but I've never been to any of them. I called and got rates for The Little Gym and for Gymboree; but just found out about My Gym. In terms of getting more for your money it seems like Gymboree (from what I can tell so far) is the better deal since they offer open gym and she can go to that as well as the class she is in. But in terms of learning, skills, and everything does anyone know which would be best? I want her to go to a class but if she has the option to have class maybe twice a week or an opportunity for open gym time I would prefer that option in order to maximize her experience.

Please let me know. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Gymboree vs The Little Gym vs My Gym

• Options

I checked out The Little Gym and My Gym for DD.  I didn't look into Gymboree because it's a further drive for us, but I know a friend of mine loves it.

As far as TLG vs. MG, I hated My Gym, and I've talked to lots of other moms who feel the same way.  They seriously give you the hard sell -- they offer you a super special rate at the free class that you can do to try out, but you have to accept right there on the spot.  I told them up front that I was not signing up that day, and I had the manager come out to hound me.  Also -- I did not care for the way it was structured.  You sign up and pay a certain amount per month.  If you miss a class, you're supposed to make it up within a week or you lose the opportunity to do so.

I liked The Little Gym a lot.  It is set up more as a real gymnastics studio, so you sign up for a class of a certain number of weeks.  You pay more up front (because instead of just paying for a month, you pay for the "semester"), but I believe it worked out to be cheaper.  Their make up schedule was a lot more realistic -- you had (I think) the whole semester to make up a missed class.

I know The Little Gym had open gym times (as well as "parents' night out" where they babysit for you), I'm not sure about My Gym.

As far as how the classes are structured, they're very similar.  I felt like TLG was more "real" gymnastics while MG was more fun stuff.  I took DD when she was around 15 months old, and she loved My Gym and was a little overwhelmed at The Little Gym.  I felt like the instructors at TLG were more knowledgable, but that could have just been chance.

As far as your goals, are you sure a kid's gym is the best class for her?  It seems like you're not as interested in the physical aspect of it, but more in the socialization.  Have you looked into music class?  I decided against the children's gyms and instead signed DD up for Music Together.  I really can't say enough good things about it.  It's like Kindermusik, but I think it's a much better program.  Let me know if you want to hear more about it, but I'll just say that Music Together has been a better fit for DD because she loves music, the class gives her a chance to learn to sit in a circle and listen to other adults, and we listen to the music all throughout the week so she really is learning from the class. 

Good luck with your decision!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Apparently the doll needed a time out... image
  • Options

I was about to comment like pp, but the opposite, LOL.  I did not like MG and TLG because it was too specific skill set-based.  I would say MG is a kind of compromise between Gymboree and TLG. 

I did Gymboree with #1- she was late with her gross motor skills and we signed up for it to help.  I think it was perfect because it was fun, social, ;playful, lots of music.  and those open gym times are so nice during the winter.  I would consider MG for DD#2 because she seems athletically inclined, is a daredevil, and is very tumbly.  I would consider TLG if they had been exposed to gymnastics and showed a propensity in order to develop those specific skills.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We did gymboree for 2 years and loved it. Not only did my son meet friends, but so did I. They're flexible on classes and make up classes. Plus, quarterly coupon for the stores.
  • Options
    My daughter has tons of energy and she always talks about wanting to dance and tumble, especially if she sees anyone else doing things. She's all about everything. From other reviews of Gymboree and My Gym it sounded as though Gymboree would be better if she were younger, and that My Gym would be better for like play dates. I want her to learn, but I want her to have fun and interact as well. When I checked another local Little Gym they didn't mention Open Gym time, which made me a little disappointed, and they mentioned paying a weekly, so I'm not sure if maybe whoever I spoke with had different information, or if that Little Gym was like that specifically. When I compared things via their sites it seemed Little Gym had more to offer for her age and onward. I think I'll have to try and get ahold of the one closest to me and check it out or something.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

My girls did a session at the Little Gym last fall and loved it.  I didnt find it to be overly structured.  They acutally encouraged the children to run and explore the gym.  Even if they did activities the child didnt have to participate if they didnt want to.

I just signed them up for classes at gymboree and we start next Sat.  We did the trial class and they seemed to enjoy it. 

I dont think you really can go wrong with any of them.  It is all about your LO's having a good time.

• Options
    I think a lot of it comes down to the instructor. We did a Grupon w/ LG and the teacher basically led circle time and then it was a free for all. Now we are doing MG and there are two young male instructors that are great. After circle time they set up several skills that the kids can come over and do during the free time. The gym was also a lot nicer and the equipment seems to be better quality. Also in our area the MG membership is a one time life time $35 fee that is for the whole family but at LG it was $50 a year which we would have had to pay after the Grupon.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I went by our local LG today and unfortunately came while there was no one there but one instructor manning the desk and phones. I spoke with him and we scheduled for my daughter to do a trial class this upcoming Wednesday, so I guess we will see how she likes it and maybe go from there. In terms of LG and Gymboree, I did notice that LG has more time slots to choose from including evening times which I think works out better for me considering I'm not much of a morning person and my daughter sleeps till 9 or 10, although this might change once the baby is here. I also thought about seeing if a local gymnastics gym has a trial class. She knows a 8 year old that goes there so she'd be excited to see her, and vice versa. But I will check back for more opinions and see what else is out there too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"