GD: When do you take your insulin with meals? — The Bump
High-Risk Pregnancy

GD: When do you take your insulin with meals?

I am on low doses of insulin with each meal.  The one question I forgot to ask was do I take the insulin before I start eating or after I finish I eating.  Does it matter?  What do you do?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

FACEBOOK FEB 12 BUMPIES ADMIN - POST & PM ME TO JOIN 

Re: GD: When do you take your insulin with meals?

• You need to take it before you eat so that it has a chance to do it's job. I'm on Humalog with every meal and my endo recommends taking it about 15 minutes before eating. 
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • It depends on the insulin. I take Novolog like 2 minutes before I eat. It's a rapid acting insulin, so it will lower my blood sugar from eating in 50 minutes or less.
    [img]http://www.tickerclub.com/cache/93357bf554.png[/img]
  • Loading the player...
  • I've had a few times where I forgot to take it before I started to eat.  You can still take it half-way through the meal and still be okay according to the Humalog website.
  • I think it depends on your body fat honestly. My educator said to take it 5-10 mins before. I did this at first and was still high. Then I asked her if maybe it has to do with my extra stomach fat, she said it might so play around a bit with it, not too much though. With some playing around I found it best if I am eating a few more carbs to take it about 30 mins before, that way it for sure covers. If just a few carbs then 10 mins is ok.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks, ladies!  I find this so interesting.  I had just been taking mine right after I finished eating (figuring that is when your natural insulin production would kick in anyway).  My numbers have still been good.  Guess I should ask the doc what he wants me to do.  Thank you for your info!  Since majority are taking it before, I'm glad I asked since I might need to change when I take it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

FACEBOOK FEB 12 BUMPIES ADMIN - POST & PM ME TO JOIN 

• image memali26:
    You need to take it before you eat so that it has a chance to do it's job. I'm on Humalog with every meal and my endo recommends taking it about 15 minutes before eating. 

I'm on Humalog too, before lunch.  They told me it starts working in 15min but didn't tell me exactly when to take it.  I make my lunch, take my insulin and then eat (I don't wait 15min).

Caleb.02.01.08 | Asher.07.06.09 | Jude.01.19.12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Mama Jan's Kitchen... a food blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I'm supposed to take it right before eating.  Like if you are at a restaurant wait till the food is delivered to the table.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards