Austin Babies
Options

Ugh. Starting Clomid...

So after 2 months of tracking my ovulation with no O my doc is recommending Clomid. I didn't even think about the possibility that I wasn't Oing since I was able to get prego back in Oct. Guess having a D&C can really mess with things. Since then my cycles have been 35 days with 10 day visits from AF. I was always a very textbook person before. Anyway - the idea of possibility of multiples freaks me out a bit as well as the idea that this too may not work after nearing 2 years of trying (on different levels) and a year since I first thought I had a lasting pregnancy. Any feedback on Clomid? Do you think I'm considering it too soon?

Re: Ugh. Starting Clomid...

• Options

I'm the first to think that people are trying Clomid too soon but in your case, I think it might be a valid step to take. Will your doctor be monitoring your cycles with ultrasound to make sure the Clomid hasn't overstimulated your ovaries? Can you afford twins or even triplets? Do your plans include 2-3 kids even or were you hoping to add just one more child to your family?

When you say there's been no O, is that by their testing (hormone levels and/or ultrasound) or is that based on charting and/or OPK's?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I did femara, as have a few other ladies here too. My understanding is there is less of chance of multiples than with clomid, or at least that's what I was told. Did they talk to you about monitoring? The last, and successful cycle, I went in 3 times in one week so they could check the size of the eggs and we went from there. GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

It's not as scary as it sounds!!!  And no, I don't think it's too soon.  I will say, though, that all of the research I did recommended seeing an RE before taking any meds, not just an OB/GYN.  I don't know if that's what you're looking for or are already doing, but I highly recommend Dr. H at TFC (thanks to a previous rec from Joyco).  We did 4 rounds of Clomid, and got pregnant twice.  The 4th time we also  did an IUI and now have a sticky baby, we hope!  It took a total of 19 cycles.

Clomid wasn't too hard for me - I did gain some weight, had some dizziness, and a few hot flashes.  Other than that, no major symptoms.  And only one baby each time.  Smile  I was nervous about multiples too, due to my age and the fact that twins run in DH's family.

Be aware that Clomid can make your CM "hostile", so it may not work for you.  My RE said that if Clomid alone didn't work after 3 cycles, it most likely wasn't going to.  If you have to go to the next step, the IUI is also not that big of a deal.  Although, like you, I was terrified of it not working and having to move on to IVF.  That's why I was so glad we were already seeing an RE when we did Clomid - we didn't have to make a move to a new doc to take the next step. 

Lots of luck to you - I know how hard and frustrating it is!  If you have any other questions or just want to talk or vent, feel free to email me (my screenname at yahoo).  Hang in there!!!

BabyFruit Ticker
    "There is a fine line between a princess and a witch...thinking you're one does NOT give you the right to act like the other." my grandmother
  • Options
    imageTaytee:

I'm the first to think that people are trying Clomid too soon but in your case, I think it might be a valid step to take. Will your doctor be monitoring your cycles with ultrasound to make sure the Clomid hasn't overstimulated your ovaries? Can you afford twins or even triplets? Do your plans include 2-3 kids even or were you hoping to add just one more child to your family?

When you say there's been no O, is that by their testing (hormone levels and/or ultrasound) or is that based on charting and/or OPK's?

Our plans do include 2-3 more children (leaning toward 2 but wouldn't be heart broken with 3), we can afford it and are lucky to have additional help if needed (monetarily & extra hands) thanks to a mom & sis that don't work and a retired step mom. As far as monitoring it's been with CBEFM every morning, charting, POAS ones in afternoon and basal temp tracking. Also not having the discharge I used to get. (Sorry if TMI). We've been touring Singapore practically every other day there's no AF "just in case" based on recommendations of spacing it out. She didn't mention ultrasounds. She told me to take it on Day 5 and come in for Progestsrone on Day 21 (I had low Pro on my 1st preg). I see Dr. Braunstein.
  • Options

imagessinca:
    I did femara, as have a few other ladies here too. My understanding is there is less of chance of multiples than with clomid, or at least that's what I was told. Did they talk to you about monitoring? The last, and successful cycle, I went in 3 times in one week so they could check the size of the eggs and we went from there. GL!

Ditto the Femara.  My doc is very pro-femara.  There are a lot less side effects with Femara, Clomid can often thin out your lining, and there is a much less chance of multiples with Femara.  did your doc mention femara?  Honestly, I would ask her about it before starting clomid.  I'm a pretty big fan of it.  It get me to O WAY sooner than I would on my own with minimal side effects. 

GL!  And no, I don't think this is too soon for having tried off and on for 2 years.  GL!

*And I HIGHLY recommend Preseed for your CM.  I've been using it and I got pg with my last little one the first month we used it.  Femara dried me up a little.

• Options

No ultrasound bothers me a little - you are supposed to have an ultrasound just prior to starting Clomid to ensure that you don't have any ovarian cysts.  They are not supposed to let you take it if you have any. 

BabyFruit Ticker
    "There is a fine line between a princess and a witch...thinking you're one does NOT give you the right to act like the other." my grandmother
  • Options
    imageabh1977:

No ultrasound bothers me a little - you are supposed to have an ultrasound just prior to starting Clomid to ensure that you don't have any ovarian cysts.  They are not supposed to let you take it if you have any. 

yep, I'd be concerned about the no ultrasound thing, too. And, FTR, I saw the same doc as bride.
  • Options
    imagessinca:
    imageabh1977:

yep, I'd be concerned about the no ultrasound thing, too. And, FTR, I saw the same doc as bride.

Yep, me too.  I don't go and get monitored every cycle now that I know how I respond.  I don't recommend this either, but funds are tight and I'm pretty confident in knowing how I've responded in the past.  Clomid, though, is a completely different drug and from what I can gather, it's stronger than femara.  

• Options

I think you have to do what you and DH feel comfortable with.  I know there are a lot of stories about mulitples on Clomid.  But there are a LOT more (I think) of just one. 

To me, the big question is:  Are you okay with multiples?  If the answer is no, then I think you shouldn't do it.  If the answer is yes, then I say go for it. 

GL!!!  I'm sending lots of good thoughts and prayers your way :-)

• Options
    i don't have any particular advice when it comes to Clomid but wanted you to know i'm thinking of you! 
  • Options
    No advice, just hugs and good luck!
  • Options

My dr has me on Clomid, or at least will when we are back trying again, due to low progesterone. So it's a different reason than yours. I will say, for the one cycle I took it earlier this summer, I had hot flashes like crazy, weird a$$ CF, and the best BD ever (I guess the hormones it affects does stuff to your sex drive too sometimes, and it was super.) It didn't raise my progesterone levels enough, though, so she will be bumping me up to 100 mg the next time we use it. Monitoring is important, but if your dr thinks it will help, then it's definitely worth thinking about. I don't think it's too early at all after two years. Also, from what I read, the risk of multiples isn't nearly as high with Clomid as it seems. So yes your chances are certainly greater than with no Clomid, but it's not like you're more likely to have twins than a single.

Good luck. This TTC journey can be freaking rough. I'm thinking of you, and sending good thoughts your way.

Pregnancy Ticker CP 4w1d March '11
    Clomid 50mg June '11 - BFN
    Clomid 100 mg Oct '11 - BFN
    Clomid 150 mg Nov '11 - BFP @9dpo! Beta#1 @10dpo: 22; Beta#2 @12dpo: 67 Beta#3 @18dpo: 1069! EDD 8-16-12
    My (mostly) business travel blog
  • Options

I got PG with the boys on my first try with Clomid so I am obviously a fan.  If you're not O'ing, then I don't think it's too soon for either Clomid or Femara.  It freaked me out too when my OB said the word, but really, nothing was working as it should without some kind of intervention so it was just getting over that initial shock that I needed a fertility drug.  We were lucky that it worked (really well) the first time we tried it.  I was nervous but had no side effects that I could tell.  If I were inclined to have another baby and needed to use it again, I definitely would but would switch to a doc who monitors follicle formation.  Mine didn't.  I didn't even know at the time that this is something that could be done.  I honestly don't know if we would have done anything differently, knowing that we had a good chance of getting PG with twins, but I think for a second time around we would.

Multiples are hard business, but it sounds like you have a wonderful support network that could help if you were to become PG with them.  That makes all the difference in the world. 

Good luck! 

• Options

I wouldn't have known this before TTC, but now that I do I would be very uncomfortable taking Clomid or Femara without u/s monitoring.  Its easy, its quick, and there is no reason why your doc can't do it.  They can see how many and how big your follies are prior to starting the med and after, and they can pinpoint when you should BD for maximum chances of success.  I would ask her to monitor.

Good luck!  I am praying for you! 

• Options
    My current (singleton) pregnancy is a result of Chlomid.  I got an u/s before my cycle started and around day 10-11 to see how I was reacting to the drug.  So we knew going in to "prime time" how may eggs I was likely to ovulate - in our case just one.  If your doctor is willing to do that it might help calm your fears about multiples.  FWIW I was working with Texas Fertility. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"