September 2011 Moms
Options

Rock n' Play?

I registered for this bouncer and got it as a shower gift. I use it periodically- Gabe seems to be fine in it most of the time.

But now that the baby is here and I am starting realize what I really need, I'm really contemplating getting a rock & play. I like that it's taller but with a smaller "footprint", plus it folds up to be more portable.

Does anyone have one? Is it worth it for me to get one when I already have the bouncer?

TTC since 10/07
11 medicated cycles
including...
4 IUIs*5 IVFs*1 FET
2 chemical pregnancies*missed m/c @8w 9/09*missed (twin) m/c @8w 5/10
Laparoscopic myomectomy 8/10

Chromosomal translocation of #2 now requires ICSI and PGD

IVF #4= success!!! G-man born 8/18/11

IVF #5 2/2013 = N born 10/10/13 at 35w3d

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Rock n' Play?

• Options
    I have a friend whose baby was born at 31 weeks and had horrible reflux. The only way she would sleep was if she was in the rock n play. Besides that, I've never heard anyone mention it but MIL sent us one. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have the same bouncer just different colors.  We bought a bassinet but DD will not sleep in it, she will nap in her bouncy though.  Thinking of just using her bouncy instead of investing in a RNP.  we already spent $120 on her bassinet........
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I think I have too many things! We have a bouncy seat - will be in living room, a bassinet for the bedroom and the Rock n Play for who knows what. I obviously can't vouch for it yet since my baby is still inside, but my gf LOVED it. She said her bassinet was useless and her daughter only slept in the RnP until they transitioned her into her crib in the nursery.

Plus, I think we will bring the RnP with us when we go to the IL's and such.

336a Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We have that exact bouncer that DS1 used...he liked it okay, and actually slept in it at night for a couple of weeks (he would NOT sleep flat on his back). But we just bought the RNP because of its rave reviews.

The bouncer was okay for him at night for that period, but I would've MUCH preferred something higher up, like the RNP. I also like that it can be rocked...I see myself laying in bed and gently rocking it. Not so easy to do in the bouncer!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thanks, ladies. It's definitely one of those things I didn't think I needed (at least not if I had the bouncer) until he was here.

I just ordered one from Target. I actually had a $50 gift card from Target from our wedding (5 years ago! I never used it...) that I used, so I guess it's like another gift. Smile

TTC since 10/07
    11 medicated cycles
    including...
    4 IUIs*5 IVFs*1 FET

• Options

I have both.

I was planning on using the Rock n Play for her to sleep next to my bed for the first couple of weeks. I got it from amazon, and put it together a couple of days ago. I like the height of it.

• Options

Everyone on the Babies: 0-3 month board raves about this product. It seems extremely popular.

I haven't gotten one, because I checked out reviews on Amazon, and although they are overwhelmingly positive, some people have complained to problems with causing a flat spot on their babies' heads that can be a somewhat serious issue requiring extensive treatment. So that freaked me out and I didn't get one. I have no idea how valid a concern that is, but fyi, you may want to look into it.

• Options

We have the same bouncy seat, but it's still in the box and I am thinking of taking it back and getting the RNP instead. I asked on the preemies board for 'must-have' suggestions and everyone says the RNP because they can lay in them from their first day home- not the case with a bouncy seat.

I'm still torn on if I really need it, but it sounds like I can't go wrong, really.

• Options
    imageNYChick:

I haven't gotten one, because I checked out reviews on Amazon, and although they are overwhelmingly positive, some people have complained to problems with causing a flat spot on their babies' heads that can be a somewhat serious issue requiring extensive treatment. So that freaked me out and I didn't get one. I have no idea how valid a concern that is, but fyi, you may want to look into it.

I read about that too. It seemed to me that most of the concerns were from a year ago, and there was one woman who posted everywhere she could find. I did a search for pediatricians' opinions about the RnP. The only thing I found is about pediatricians recommending the RnP for babies with reflux.

I have a bassinet, so as of now I don't plan to have Gabe sleep in the RnP overnight... we also have one of those head positioners if we need it. So I'm going to give it a try and not worry too much.

TTC since 10/07
    11 medicated cycles
    including...
    4 IUIs*5 IVFs*1 FET

• Options
    imageNYChick:

Everyone on the Babies: 0-3 month board raves about this product. It seems extremely popular.

Those reviews are definitely concerning, but the thing to keep in mind is that any hard surface can cause a flat spot. Some babies are more susceptible to plagiocephaly than others, so they would likely have the same issue if they were sleeping in a bassinet, crib, or even a bouncer or a swing...it's not an issue with the RNP itself.

No matter where baby is sleeping, it's important to alternate which side of their head they're laying on to avoid flat spots.

Just an FYI. :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageMereou12:
    imageNYChick:

Those reviews are definitely concerning, but the thing to keep in mind is that any hard surface can cause a flat spot. Some babies are more susceptible to plagiocephaly than others, so they would likely have the same issue if they were sleeping in a bassinet, crib, or even a bouncer or a swing...it's not an issue with the RNP itself.

No matter where baby is sleeping, it's important to alternate which side of their head they're laying on to avoid flat spots.

Just an FYI. :)

Good to know, thanks a lot for the info! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"