Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Tell me truthfully: am I a bad mom?

Hi everyone. I am the proud mom of 19 month old DD. I am also a SAHM and found it was very difficult and so about a month ago we put DD in daycare a couple days a week to give me a break. I feel very guilty about this but she is doing well there and loves it! Does this make me a bad mom? Tell me truthfully, especially all you SAHM's. I am however proud to say that for 17 1/2 months I stayed home full time with her :)  Thoughts? Thanks!

Re: Tell me truthfully: am I a bad mom?

• Options
    I am a working mom, but I think social time for your DD and some personal time for you is a good thing.  I love my DS very much, but sometimes you just need some down time. 
  • Options
    This does not make you a bad mom at all!  Please do not feel bad!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for your input ladies! I feel a little bit better!
  • Options

She is happy in daycare, so no that in itself does not qualify you as a bad Mom.

Do you sit at the bar and drink while she is there?  Do you sit at home and catch up on movies?  Does having her in daycare strain your budget so that you cannot afford to feed her healthy food?

Truthfully, I think it is fantastic if you can afford it and use the time DD is in daycare to workout, run errands, clean the house or other items are are impossible with a toddler.

• Options

Yes, terrible.

Why would you think this makes you a bad mom?  Bad moms neglect and hurt their children. 

• Options

simple answer: No don't feel guilty. We as parents need breaks from our children every now and then....regardless if we SAH or work outside the home.

ETA: I am a working mom and there are times where I have some flex time and I still send DD to daycare while I sit at home and do nothing. I don't feel guilty at all. I know our daycare provider loves her very much and DD is getting a lot of interaction.

"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body."
    Goodbye little angel(7/22/2011)....see you in heaven
    Goodbye my second angel (9/18/2011)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageMrsSR:

Yes, terrible.

Why would you think this makes you a bad mom?  Bad moms neglect and hurt their children. 

This.  Seriously.

• Options

Moms have so many titles these days so no I think that whatever you choose to do while the kids are in daycare isn't shameful one bit!

We're moms, doctors, firemen, chefs, maids, rockstars when we sing o them, and then we work to bring home bread.... the list goes on. There's no shame in your game! There are millions of hardworking moms that have to leave their children in daycare just so they can keep their sanity!

• Options

I still take DD to daycare when I days off during the week. It gives me a nice good day off to myself. I typically on these days do things like laundry, clean, or go run errands. I need some me time. I don't think it makes anyone a bad mom for doing this.

Personally I like the fact that DD is getting social interaction at this young of an age. She doesn't have any cousins or anyone that I know close to her age. So it's the only time she gets to play with other kids. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    WTF? Really?? Yes, if you put your kid in daycare you are a horrible mother. Everyone knows that the only way to be a good mom is to stay at home. Duh.
  • Options
    Every good mom needs a break from their kids. I think it makes you appreciate them a little more. Don't feel guilty. Once we have another LO I will likely stay home and if we could afford it I would definitely do a day or two of day care. Plus it's nice for your LO to be around other kids.

• Options
    No, it doesn't make you a bad mom.  If that was the case you could say the same thing about sending kids to preschool. 
  • Options
    DS is 18 months and starts preschool on Friday. It's 3 hours a day, 3 days a week and it's very popular here (with SAHM) - like everyone goes to preschool.

Your child needs the socialization and you need the time to yourself. You are definitely not a bad mom Big Smile

I really am excited about him starting preschool!
  • Options
    I'd say you're a smart mom! The reason I work and send my LO to daycare is because work is fulfilling to me (not to mention I make money) and because I'd probably go a bit crazy if I were a full time SAHM in the absence of what you describe (breaks). Sheesh. We all do what we can afford and what makes us happy, and I can say first hand that good daycare centers are great for social opportunities. My LO LOVES daycare, which makes me feel all the better about our situation. 
  • Options
    I honestly think it's a good thing for kids to be in daycare at least part time.  They learn a lot of social skills and not having to be around mommy all the time.  Knowing that you will return and they are able to trust you.  I'm sad that I don't get a lot of time with my DD like SAHM's would, but I'm also happy that she absolutely loves daycare and she's learning her letters and numbers already and how to play with other kids and all that good stuff!  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have had many moments when I was at the breaking point and almost decided it was time for daycare. I just remind myself that it cost money and we could be using it somewhere else. It doesnt make you a bad mother. You did whats best for both of you.
  • Options

Why would that make you a bad mom? 

If she's not getting interaction with other kids regularly, I think it's a great idea.  Even if she was, I still think every mom needs a break.  We have a nanny/child care provider come once a week for 4 hours and I spend that time doing everything other than errands, running and cooking.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

No way!

DH and I have talked about doing it like 2 days a week, even half days, just so he gets some time with other kids. So far he just gets an hour a week at church!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    No, everyone needs a break. I work three days a week, but the two days I'm home are much harder work than my time at the office. I love that I have a schedule that allows me some time with DS, but I would go absolutely crazy if I were a full-time SAHM. Kudos to you that you can swing it.

• Options

Why are you proud that you stayed home for 17 months?  Because you're a master budgeter and could afford it?  Or because you were able to stand your child for that long?

• Options

Putting your child in daycare doesn't make you a bad mom.  Many of us are not able to stay at home and he have to work.  Does this make us bad moms because we have to work to support our families, No.  I think it's great that your little one is being able to socialize around other kids. You need to take a little time for yourself and you aren't "harming" your child by taking them to daycare.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"