3rd Trimester

anyone have to take macrobid for an infection?

My Dr. is having me take macrobid to fight an infection...I am a little nervous to take any medication.  I googled macrobid and some people had negative comments about.  Anyone have any experience with this?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: anyone have to take macrobid for an infection?

• Early-ish in my pregnancy I ended up getting a bladder infection and my doctor prescribed that to me. That was twice actually, and I don't have any complaints about it. It worked fine and didn't have any negative side effects or anything.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageHeatherK524:

Early-ish in my pregnancy I ended up getting a bladder infection and my doctor prescribed that to me. That was twice actually, and I don't have any complaints about it. It worked fine and didn't have any negative side effects or anything.

Ditto. Also took it twice for UTIs. Two doctors and the nurse all told me it's the best antibiotic for pregnant women with urinary infections. And any potential side effects or complications (which are extremely rare with macrobid) pale in comparison to the effects of leaving any kind of infection untreated.

Macrobid can turn your urine neon green, but that's normal and completely harmless.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Loading the player...
  • I took it during my first pregnancy for UTIs and had no issues with it. It's better than the UTI turning into kidney problems.
  • I took it at about 28 weeks for a UTI and didn't have any problems till about the 3rd day and I started itching like crazy.  My doctor switched me to Amoxcicillin, and that worked fine.  I think the only issue with macrobid was just me, I know a lot of other people dont have any issues with it.  Just remember to not ignore any signs or symptoms if you feel anything unusual.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I took it for a UTI around 28 weeks, and the only thing I noticed was some mild nausea....
  • ive taken it through out my pregnancy because UTIs seem to like me and dont want to go away and i have had no problems with it.. it makes your pee look like mt dew but thats normal.
    ?Kloies Mommy? Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagestardust317:
    I took it for a UTI around 28 weeks, and the only thing I noticed was some mild nausea....

and yes you will get mild nausea if its not taken with food.. i had the same problem at first and then i read on the bottle and it says to take with food lol i felt dumb when i read that lol 

?Kloies Mommy? Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was prescribed it at 38 weeks and was told by my pharmacist that it is not reccomended and can cause growth retardation and behavioral deficits.

In fact label said in bold do NOT take if 38-42 weeks pregnant because it destroys red blood cells of the fetus.

I called my Dr. and switched to ammoxycillin which has no warnings like that.

Love At First Sight!
    I love you even when your a fuss Butt
    Lauralei Mae
  • I took it early in my pregnancy and had an allergic reaction to it.  It was...awful.  That said, most women are fine with it, just be on the lookout for any strange symptoms that might suddenly show up.  I didnt realize it was the medication at first, because I was still severely sick from MS, but it caused vomiting, dizzyness, blurred vision, etc. 
  • I had to take for a bladder infection at 5 mo. It made me sleepy and my pee orange but other than that it was fine.Smile
  • I take it twice daily for a kidney infection that I have due to a drain in my kidney.
    "You and me together can do anything, baby!!" DMB
    Married October 16th, 2010
    TTC #1 since October 2010
    1st BFP 1-12-11
    MC'd 1-22-11
    2nd BFP 2-15-11
    Our Wee One....**KENNEDY JO** born 10/3/11@ 36weeks via Csection
    My BFP Chart
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Labor Buddy to **MRS.ATCH** Welcome Quinn 11-5-11**
  • I had to take it 2 different times. 10 days each. No side effects from me except really yellow and smelly urine..
  • I've had to take a pill of it every night sense my first appointment due to severe UTI's all my life. I recommend taking it at night and washing it down with a glass of milk. I've had no problems with it. I do believe as mentioned in a PP that you are not suppose to take it during weeks 38-42 because it causes harm to the baby but sense I haven't reached that point in pregnancy I figure we are fine for now. UTI's can lead to a LOT of issues if not treated including pre-term labor.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"