Food Allergy
Options

Banana contact allergy

DS had banana purees when younger and even slices of banana after he was able to feed himself.  However, last week, DH cut up a really ripe banana for DS and he was eating it and loving it, then he started rubbing his eyes and face like he was tired with his hands full of bananas.  Not 10 minutes after doing that his face had a red rash all over extending down to his neck.  He wasn't miserable, had a little watery eyes, etc.  I gave him Benadryl and by the time he went to bed a couple hours later, he was looking better.  Then of course, I started googling banana allergies and came across that it could be latex related.  Sometimes when DS comes home from DC either his lower legs where they hold him to change his diaper or his but looks rashy.  I called DC and they confirmed they use both latex and non-latex gloves on the kids when they change them.  I asked them to only use the non-latex for now until we can get him tested.  Monday we went to the Pedi for his 15 month checkup and I mentioned all of this and the pedi basically said that she wouldn't test until around 2 years and to just stay away from bananas for now. I also read avocados, mangos, kiwi, etc. are in this same category.  Is it normal to wait til 2 for allergy testing?

Re: Banana contact allergy

• Options

My DH's cousin has a latex allergy and he wears special gloves at ever event to prevent him from touching anything.  But i have never heard of it being related to fruit (but doesn't surprise me).

Many pedis do not want to test children before 2 for some reason and i will never understand why since knowing a childs allergies can save his/her life.    My allergist said she has tested an infant as young as couple months old. It's rare but it's possible.  You can call your pedi and say that you feel more comfortable getting in touch with an allergist with specific latex allergy questions and she should give you a reference, if not, you can just find one on your own -you don't need a referral (at least my insurance does not).  If the allergist is willing to test your LO than go for it -knowing your childs allergies gives you a huge peace of mind.   

• Options

I have issues with all of the mentioned fruits, but especially bananas and avocado. Mangoes, kiwi, melons - etc. However, I don't have problems with latex. Weird.

It is beyond me why they don't test earlier. I would avoid anything you have noticed a reaction from until you ARE able to get him tested, including the latex. Better safe than sorry.

Poor little guy - being reactive to bananas and melons sucks, although in an admittedly selfish way. I love smoothies but every freaking smoothie place ever has bananas floating around in everything. If it DOESN'T have a banana it has mangoes. I usually have to customer order my smoothie, lol.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I am allergic to Bananas, but its more of the oral allergy syndromw for me as when I eat one my inner throat itches really bad and the insides of my ears do as well. I have also heard that Mangoes can create a similar effect in people. I dont have a problem with latex though, but i obviously dont eat it :)

Jacob got tested at 10 months old. It doesnt hurt to try the test and see what turns up-better to know sooner than later...

Jacob Alexander 7/23/09
    Allergic to Dairy, Eggs and Peanuts Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Jameson Adam 6/1/11
    Allergic to Peas...so far Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageaniceucchik:

I am allergic to Bananas, but its more of the oral allergy syndromw for me as when I eat one my inner throat itches really bad and the insides of my ears do as well. I have also heard that Mangoes can create a similar effect in people. I dont have a problem with latex though, but i obviously dont eat it :)

Jacob got tested at 10 months old. It doesnt hurt to try the test and see what turns up-better to know sooner than later...

This is me too. If it is oral allergy, it is usually related to environmental allergies that have similar proteins to these fruits. I have oral allergy syndrome with lots of fruits (banana, pineapple, watermelon, carrots, celery), but I can still eat them, I just get raelly itchy for a while.

I've never heard of it being related to latex allergies, but I don't have experience with that so it totally could be. I'd continue to play it safe until you can have LO tested. I agree with PP and check with your insurance to see if they do not require a referral. The allergist will know more about when it is appropriate to test a young child.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"