Eco-Friendly Family
Options

hello/anti-lurk/vitamix

Hi all,

I see some posts about possibly closing this board so I'll announce myself.  I've been shy in the past because I'm not quite as green as many others here, but we do what we can in my family.

I posted this when I was PG but thought I'd throw it out again in case there are others on this board who have one too...

Anyone have a vitamix?  I love my morning smoothies/slushies and we anticipate making DS's baby food when the time comes.  Got any good recipes out there outside of the wholesomemama type stuff?

My biggest question is if you vitamix baby food, do you still steam it?  I would like to do some raw stuff, but am not sure if it is okay for baby's digestion.  Our DR didn't really seem to have an opinion.

Thanks for reading!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: hello/anti-lurk/vitamix

• Options
    I don't have a vitamix yet but we are planning on getting one for Christmas.

re your question, about cooking, not sure.  You probably don't have to for certain things.  But if you go to this link it has a link there to sign up for free baby food recipes for vitamix.  :)

https://www.vitamix.com/household/health/baby.asp

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

DD is 3 and has a g-tube. We bought a vitamix for the sole purpose of making her foods and wow! do I love it?!

Its helped me to be make so much more stuff from scratch. We had a cuisinart, but all of the attachments and screwing the tops on and off were annoying. And it didn't do the job for DD. We don't do raw for anyone in our family, so I can't answer that question. I do know some adults that have g-tubes and eat raw. (Ie. Someone with throat cancer who is cognitively capable of making such a choice). I love doing bread crumbs in it with freshly baked bread of our choice, its how I make my pizza/pasta sauces with fresh from the garden/CSA tomatoes, basil, oregano. A few weeks ago we made ribs and had some left over meat that I wanted to make pulled pork with the next night. My wrists are really bad so I cut it off the bone and threw it in the vitamix with our home-made BBQ sauce. It pulled my pork for me! We made ice cream several nights this week for the first time. We have periodically used it for soups, but I don't like the idea of cooking them solely in the Vitamix. So we start them in our creuset nice and chunky and at some point puree a few ladles full to make it smoother.

We've really just recently gotten into using it so much for ourselves.Until then we made DD all sorts of stuff in it. She gets lamb, swiss chard, mangos, avacados, papaya, etc. In the blenderized world, people are split on whether or not to steam their veggies. We do, if they're frozen. (Ie. Organic Mangos in the winter). But I always keep the water we steamed them in and then add that to the puree so that the nutrients don't get "lost". 

Btw. I think the company has a blog or list-serve with recipes on it if you're interested. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I would steam the foods for a w hile until baby learns to digest properly. The transition is rough enough on their bellies anyway.

My in laws have had their vitamix for probably 25 years, at least? They love it.

• Options

We have a Vitamix and LOVE it!! DH uses it every night to make himself a smoothie. I used it a few weeks ago to make soup to keep in the freezer as a freezer meal.

Haven't gotten a chance to make baby food yet, but plan on doing so when the time comes. I have the baby food cookbook ("Baby Love" I think?) and all of the recipes say to steam whatever veggies first, so I'm going to follow that suggestion.

• Options

I know nothing about vitamix, but I was just glancing across the board, and my brain interpreted your post title as "hello/antivax" and I was thinking that was one hell of a way to introduce yourself.

Reality was much better :)

• Options
    imagekdello:

I would steam the foods for a w hile until baby learns to digest properly. The transition is rough enough on their bellies anyway.

Good Point.  I think we might do this.  Thanks for the input.  I can't wait to introduce Maksim to the yumminess of all things tasty.  This morning I was cooking and he was in the car seat next to me.  Every time I reached for a food item, I told him what it was and let him smell it.  His eyes got very wide and kicked his legs when he smelled the fresh, soft pita bread.  It's so fun now that he is starting to interact with us more.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm pg with my first so can't talk about baby food, but I can say that if my apartment caught on fire, I would grab DH, my cat, and my vitamix. I make green smoothies in it every day, and I've also made almond milk, pesto, puddings, vegan ice cream....I should not be writing this since I'm on an eating kick this afternoon. I want to eat everything on that list right now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"