Breastfeeding
Options

Latching on and off during feeding?

What does this mean? DS is 3 months and lately he has been latching on and off during feedings. He's been nursing every 3h since birth and this is something new that he is doing. Sometimes he does this as soon as 3-5 minutes after starting to nurse. Can it be that he is that effective in getting his milk now? He doesn't cry so I'm assuming that he is getting what he needs.

Re: Latching on and off during feeding?

• Options
    He could definitely be getting more efficient.  DD started getting a little distracted around 3 mo as well; it was harder to nurse her if we were in front of the TV/a place where she could look out of a window/if she could see the dogs/etc.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Probably getting distracted. As I recall, DS started doing that around 3-4 months old as well. all of a sudden at 3 months, their eyesight gets way better... almost over night they can see across the room, so his little eyes are probably just amazed at everything he can see now!

He could also be getting very efficient! I would guess distraction though? My DS started doing that, and then once he got over the newfound vision, he got right back to business  Now he's 9 months old, and distracts himself  :) yay

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD is 4 months and has been doing the same thing. She gets distracted by everything- the TV, ceiling fans, our dog, her dad. What we've been doing is nursing in a dark room with the door closed. It's been working well for us.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"