Attachment Parenting
Options

Swaddling

I posted a couple weeks ago about our nap time sleep issues. I've found that if I pretend we're going to bed, and do our whole nighttime sleep routine, and stay with him the whole time, DS will sleep for a couple of hours once a day with a few other 40 minute naps. That is a huge success for my little man who was maybe getting 2 hours the whole day before.

The issue is that he must be swaddled in order to sleep any length of time. In the No Cry Nap Solution she talks about when to begin to wean from swaddling, some of which are starting to roll onto their side, fighting being swaddled, etc. DS is starting to do all the things on her list...but he absolutely cannot sleep with even one arm out. He uses it to wake himself up. He is usually a fantastic night sleeper, but the one night I tried one arm out, none of us got any sleep.

How do they learn not to wake themselves up? Do we just have to have some sleepless nights while he learns it? I am concerned that he is going to be able to roll himself onto his tummy, and get his face buried into the bed. And what about nap time? He definitely won't nap without being swaddled.

Mama to sunshine baby "J" 5.13.11 and angel baby "E" born still on 2.11.14
TTC our rainbow since April '14

Re: Swaddling

• Options
    Eh, books are books - they're not your kid.  DD was swaddled at bedtime until 9 months and at nap time until 11 months.  She ALWAYS fought it, but wouldn't stay asleep without it (and had an even harder time falling asleep than if she was unswaddled).  We had her wrapped up in a straight-jacket swaddle (the "unbreakable swaddle" so, not the legs, which is the developmental concern for swaddling long term) and then wrapped onto a wedge of receiving blankets, so the rolling wasn't really an issue.  We would also go in when she first started waking up so that she didn't have a lot of opportunity for rolling.  Do what YOU think is right!
    IMG_8355
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageTiffanyBerry:
    We had her wrapped up in a straight-jacket swaddle (the "unbreakable swaddle" so, not the legs, which is the developmental concern for swaddling long term) 

Do you have a video for the swaddle you used? I've looked at the escape proof swaddle, but DS is so warm-natured, we already swaddle him diaper and the lightweight Swaddleme only, I think the double layer would make him too hot.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I can't find a video of the version I used (my doula taught it to me).  There are very similar things online, but not *quite* the same.  I'll write it up  now, and if I can possibly get my 16mo old to cooperate, try it on her.  I HIGHLY recommend using the Aiden+Anis muslin swaddling blankets-  they are large and cool!
    IMG_8355
  • Options
    imagescootRN:

imageTiffanyBerry:
    We had her wrapped up in a straight-jacket swaddle (the "unbreakable swaddle" so, not the legs, which is the developmental concern for swaddling long term) 

Do you have a video for the swaddle you used? I've looked at the escape proof swaddle, but DS is so warm-natured, we already swaddle him diaper and the lightweight Swaddleme only, I think the double layer would make him too hot.

Here's a video for the escape proof swaddle that we used until 16 months, and no that's not a typo.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K4VdZxwsu4

We used Aiden and Anais muslin swaddling blankets for the outer burrito part and an old undershirt instead of a smaller blanket, so the layers were both light and breathable.  

• Options

Couldn't get a video with DD (massive fail!), but it's similar to what you see above, only just one layer.

1) Lay out swaddle blanket (love those A+A ones) in a square.

2) Place baby in the center with the top of the blanket *just* above her shoulders.

3) Take one top corner of the swaddle blanket and wrap the blanket up and around the top of the shoulder and around the arm, pulling the side of the blanket fully underneath the baby. (You will have to pick her up by the feet and lift her butt off the ground to get the blanket ALL the way under.)  One arm is now essentially pinned down alongside her body.

4) With the first side of the swaddle blanket, wrapped under the baby, lay it out on top of the second side.  (This is just for neatness, but it makes the swaddle a little more stable.)  Then, repeat step three on the second side, wrapping the blanket up and over the shoulder and around the arm and then passing it underneath the baby.  Now both arm are pinned alongside her body.

5) Take the (now somewhat tri-folded) bottom half of the blanket that is sticking out underneath her butt and twist it (I like to twist in the direction of the second side folded towards the first).  There will now be a twist just below baby's butt, which will end up in the crotch once the fold is done.

6) Draw the whole thing up between baby's legs, and over her front. Unfold the bottom half of the blanket (maintaining that twist - so now the what started as the right side of the swaddle blanket is on the left, and vice versa). 

7)  Wrap one side of the now-upside down triangle of a swaddle blanket underneath the baby's back (on the same side), then do the other, leaving a little bit of fabric out to tuck in to keep it close.  Now the legs are completely unswaddled, but the arms are well pinned.

IMG_8355
  • Options
    TiffanyBerry, thank you so much for taking the time to type that out for me! We will try that one tonight. We have some A+A blankets, which I love, but hadn't been using.

• Options
    Practice it on a stuffed animal first, and don't worry if it seems incredibly awkward the first few (dozen) times.  After doing it 3-5 times a day for MONTHS, I got good at it, but it took practice!
    IMG_8355
  • Options
    Just wanted to add that I was anxious about the swaddle too - when to drop it and how. I think at eight months I tried to go to one arm and DD screamed and cried so we went back to it. Around 9 or 10 months I tried again and she had no problem. She was finally ready and there were no sleep disruptions. She slept in our bed (still in her snuggle nest) so I wasn't worried about her rolling over or anything, so waiting it out seemed like the best option for us. Now she is completely swaddle free.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"