Breastfeeding
Options

anyone have success bf with inverted/flat nipples?

Just curious if anyone has had success with this.  I want to bf more than anything but the more I read about trying to with inverted and/or flat nipples the more discouraged I get.  I also have noticed zero change in my boobs this entire pregnancy.  Same size, no tenderness or pain, etc.  I haven't had the baby yet, I'm just trying to get a feel for what I might be up against.  Thanks for any insight :)
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: anyone have success bf with inverted/flat nipples?

• Options
    I don't have inverted / flat nipples but my boobs never changed during pregnancy either.  I had no problem BFing.  I know women with inverted nipples who have been successful BFing.  When starting out they used a nipple shield so the baby had something to get around.  They were able to fade that after a few weeks and had a great BFing relationship for 12 months.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

i do, I used a nipple shield with my first we bf for 14 months until he self weaned and now I'm bf number 2 with no nipple shield no problems.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That makes me a little bit more hopeful!  I figured I would have to start with the nipple shield at least for a while.  Do you think it would be helpful to talk to a LC before I deliver or just wait and see what happens when I try for the first time?  I took a BF class but they never went over inverted nipples.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    You could talk with a LC but I would just wait, just because they are flat or inverted doesn't mean you will have any major problems.  But if you think it will make you feel more confident give one a call.  Don't go in with the mind set that just because you may have an extra hurdle that you may not be successful, you CAN do it!!
  • Options
    I have a flat nipple on the left breast and I use a breast shield on that side. We haven't had any problems in that regard and LO switches fine between the left nipple with shield and the "good" nipple on the right (without shield). 
  • Options

imageTanyaKM:
    I have a flat nipple on the left breast and I use a breast shield on that side. We haven't had any problems in that regard and LO switches fine between the left nipple with shield and the "good" nipple on the right (without shield). 

We are exactly the same but other side! You can do it :)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

See if your hospital has LCs on staff so you can make sure you ask to see one right after you deliver if you need help. Hospitals are quick to push you toward formula for any breastfeeding troubles, and you don't want them to sabotage you before you ever get home!

My best friend is now on her second child successfully breastfeeding, and she had inverted nipples. You can do it!

photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I had flat nipples, and DD has a high palate. I saw 3 LC and all said BF would be very difficult but not impossible because DD needed extra stimulation to get her sucking. I used the nipple shield for 8 weeks and weaned after that. It is possible and very doable! My nipples are not very flat anymore! Don't be scared.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Buy a breast shield!  I used one for a while and then my nipples changed so she could take the breast directly.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"