Natural Birth
Options

Introduction and looking for insight.

Hello. As you can see by my ticker I'm 17 weeks today! Woot! I've been peeking in here for a while and wanted to make a formal introduction.

I'm in transition of choosing between two practices. I left my old practice for many reasons. I'm a bit perplexed on what to do and which route to go down. What leads to my main issue with choosing between the two because I am very sensitive to drugs, esp man made hormones, think bcp, lupron etc. Typical drugs that are given to most people with no problems, tend to give me horrible side effects to the point where I've gotten a side eye from doctors before because my side effects are so crazy and not normal but alas they are true.

The 1st practice, typical OB, is at a major hospital and I'm scared that they will push drugs faster as from several reports of women who have given birth there that is how it works most of the time. The 2nd practice, midwife based run by a OB who believes in midwifery but is there for emergencies and overseeing, who is at a women's hospital.

I guess my main issue is that I have fear of going in both ways. I have fear that if I don't go with the "big hospital" something bad will happen and I will regret my decision. I'm hoping that with all of your insight into a natural labor can help me out since I know more about medicated labors than natural. I feel more comfortable going with the midwife practice, I feel like they understand my medication complication history and will respect it more but again, fear is a big motivator in making decisions. Any insight, stories, advice would be very helpful! :)

Took 2 years & 8 months to make our baby! Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Introduction and looking for insight.

• Options

check out the faq in my siggy.

don't let fear run your pregnancy and birth. having a baby is not an illness. it's a natural, normal thing and most of the time a body handles it pretty well. you might actually be less likely to have problems if you do go the midwife/natural route, as a midwife is less likely to call something a problem and treat something that would have been fine on its own.

• Options

I feel like I got the best of both worlds - I delivered with an OB at a hospital and both the OB and hospital were very supportive of natural births and never suggested meds after being told that I wanted to go natural. Maybe it helped that it was a religious hospital (adventist) and many of the nurses had multiple children and had given birth naturally themselves, as I discovered through conversations. They also were big on EBF and never once suggested using formula - instead provided plenty of help with latching and advice.

If you live in a big enough city - you might want to look into other hospitals and OBs if you're not comfortable with the midwife route. You might find what you want! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Is there a way you could talk a dr at the larger practice, as an interview almost, to see how they react when you dicuss a natural birth and your issues with meds? It sounds like the worrying side of you would be more comfortable knowing the help is there if it is needed.

At the same time, I agree with PP who said that you may be better off with the midwife practice, because they would be more willing to work WITH you rather than push their timeframe.

Personally, I labored at home as long as possible and ended up being in the hospital only to push (actually in the ER rather than L&D) which ended up being the best possible scenario for me, but is definitely not for everyone.

image        image
  • Options

Are the midwives in this new practice you're with allowed to deliver without an OB in the room? There's a midwife practice where I live that delivers at hospitals and they have priviledges to deliver without an OB in the room. However, there is one down the hall if need should arise. If that's their set up, you might get to have your cake & eat it too.

Talk to the OB & the midwives at your practice (don't just assume the M/Ws are all natural - some surprisingly are not) and make sure all the in practice are on board with your plans and get an understanding from them on when certain interventions would be deemed necessary.

Next, if you have a partner, get the two of you enrolled in a birthing class - a lot of us on in Bradley, some in Brio or Hypno but I can't speak to those - and make sure you both are ready to say "No thank you" on the big day because you never know who's going to be on call and what they might offer/pressure.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageIrisheyes1247:

Is there a way you could talk a dr at the larger practice, as an interview almost, to see how they react when you dicuss a natural birth and your issues with meds? It sounds like the worrying side of you would be more comfortable knowing the help is there if it is needed.

I did ask the doctor at the larger practice and I got the "yes of course we'll do anything you want during labor" kind of speech. I like the man a lot and think he's awesome but I also know that they pretty much "over-see" births and check in and then come around when it's time to push unless there are complications. Nurses pretty much run the ship. I rather interview the nurses in the department ;)

• Options
    imagececilyandgautam:

Are the midwives in this new practice you're with allowed to deliver without an OB in the room? There's a midwife practice where I live that delivers at hospitals and they have priviledges to deliver without an OB in the room. However, there is one down the hall if need should arise. If that's their set up, you might get to have your cake & eat it too.

Talk to the OB & the midwives at your practice (don't just assume the M/Ws are all natural - some surprisingly are not) and make sure all the in practice are on board with your plans and get an understanding from them on when certain interventions would be deemed necessary.

Next, if you have a partner, get the two of you enrolled in a birthing class - a lot of us on in Bradley, some in Brio or Hypno but I can't speak to those - and make sure you both are ready to say "No thank you" on the big day because you never know who's going to be on call and what they might offer/pressure.

That is a good question. I am talking to one of the midwives tomorrow. I'll ask for sure! I know that they can deliver babies but I don't know if it's a requirement that an OB be there. 

The midwife practice is very drug free which appeals to me a lot more. We are def going to do some classes. I've only heard of the Bradley, I'll have to research the others that you mentioned. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"