School-Aged Children
Options

k12 online learning

Has anyone done homeschooling through this program? Thoughts? I have only heard one review from a lady that I know who loves this program but was curious what others thought of it or had experience with it.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: k12 online learning

• Options

I'm sure it's fine, but personally, their commercials irk me. I'm a teacher, and I pride myself on getting to know each of my students and their strengths and weaknesses and spend copious amounts of time planning lessons, interventions and other activities to move each and every child as far as I possibly can.

So for their commercials to insinuate that a teacher over the internet is going to know their kid better... well, that teacher over the internet can't give a kid a hug when it's the anniversary of his mother's death, can't place a supportive hand on a shoulder when a concept is tough and that point of frustration is being reached.

I think web-based curriculums have their place, but to imply that ALL traditional school teachers are crap and don't know their students really turns me off to their organization. There are other online schools who advertise without the need to do this- if online schooling better met my son's needs than traditional, I'd go to one of them sooner than I would K-12. Just my $.02.

• Options
    I have also heard good things about it, but have not researched it myself.  I chose to use various publishers for our homeschool curriculum.  I'd rather pick and choose what I think will work best for DS. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I have heard good things about K12. We are doing Connections Academy (a comparable program). At CA the teachers are available at a distance (via phone, text, webmail etc) and in person at their local center. Not sure if it is the same with k12. So there still is the personal touch. They also have field trips and the parents can always organize additional outings etc. 

I used to teach online classes so I am somewhat familiar with the concept of distance learning education and its strengths and weaknesses as compared to a traditional brick and mortar school. 

We are doing a trial year and if it doesn't suit us then he will start at a charter school next year. 

I am really excited about it and so is DS1. I really didn't have to sell it at all. I figured there would have to be some serious indoctrination going on inorder to get him to get excited about it but the only thing I needed to tell him was that he could do school in his pajamas and that was it. He has been talking about it and is super excited for it to begin on Tuesday.  I am not going to lie, it is not going to be easy. I had to give up some activities and restructure alot of the things that I would normally do during the week and do it on the weekends so that the weekdays will be free for school. 

I love that all the curriculum is carefully planned out and very easy to follow.  I can also set the schedule and the scheduling system adjusts to fit.  We got all of our supplies and wow, it was like Christmas (pics in blog).  It is also important to know that you are not the teacher you are the learning coach so it is not your responsibility to assess or grade your child, that is what the teacher does. You are there to facilitate learning. At CA they call us learning coaches but I think of it as a tutor. I personally like this concept but other homeschooling moms may be turned off by this concept and not like that they basically have to still answer to a teacher who is ultimately responsible for assessing their child.  I personally love that (grading was my least favorite part of teaching) and I will feel more like an ally than an authority.

so far the curriculum looks like fun and I can already think of fun ways to build on it. So all the energy I would have used to create lesson plans is reserved for ways to enhance already made lesson plans to broaden his exposure to concepts etc.

PM if you want to talk more. I would love to have a bump friend who is also doing this. 

9 angels in heaven-3 in my arms and 1 in the NICU                                                                                                                                    
    Mono/di twin girls: Josephine born to heaven and Evangeline born Earthside at 25w

• Options

Oh and I see you are from Southern Cali! The Connections Academy division in Southern California is rated fairly high (higher then Central Cal-where I am) and has had wonderful reviews and test scores etc (last year it got an even higher score-I am not sure why alot of schools experienced a drop in ratings this past year) Definitely check it out. I am familiar that are very active as well as far as outings/activities and clubs. Also they are free for us. Most places have to pay for it but in Southern, Central and Northern CA it is free. Some places even offer computers. That was not available to us but maybe where you are.

https://www.connectionsacademy.com/california-southern-capistrano-school/home.aspx

9 angels in heaven-3 in my arms and 1 in the NICU                                                                                                                                    
    Mono/di twin girls: Josephine born to heaven and Evangeline born Earthside at 25w

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"