Blended Families
Options

Are we being unreasonable

Do you think we are being unreasonable.  My SD?s mom called us on Friday well actually her BF called DH to see if she could get her Monday or Thursday to go to our State Fair (and if Thursday she wanted to keep her through the weekend instead of bringing her back Thursday night?which I understand).  We were not home at the time so said we would probably get back to her   Her BF?s dad was taking them as the kid?s birthday presents.  She called again twice on Saturday (my DD?s 1st birthday party was on Saturday and we had company over all day so we did have time to deal with it).  I did answer the phone the second time just to let her know we would call her back later on that night or the next day after we could look at the calendar.  Well H and I took a few minutes to look at the calendar and determined that Monday would be a better day because long story short, we were waiting for SD?s orientation which was today to get her final supply list so we could go shopping.  Parent orientation is tonight and then we were going to do shopping on Wed/Thurs because those were the only days we would have available with her being gone on the weekend.  I did mention about a month ago we told her that the last week before school was out of the question for extended visit so we could get ready etc.  She is made now because apparently Thursday is the only day that will work because his dad took the day off...so I am sure she lied to make us feel bad.  Well, his dad is retired because H has talked to him numerous times and the State Fair runs through Labor Day.  That?s beyond the point.  She is trying to play games.  I guess.  We told her Monday was the only day that would work so now she isn?t getting her way so she is mad and keeps calling me.  If Monday wasn?t a good day for her I am curious why it was even an option.  I don?t know what else to tell her.  I did tell her that she needs to really start planning stuff like that during the time that SD is at her house because we are expected to do the same and she points it out if we even mention that we have something going on by saying ?is that on your weekend?.  We rarely ever plan anything on her weekend?within our control and if it?s out of our control SD doesn?t get to go?unless it?s school related then we ask BM first.  most of the time we are very flexible but with our busy work schedules this just is not going to work.

Re: Are we being unreasonable

• Options
    It only took me 30 minutes to go to Staples and pick up school supplies.  I really can't imagine it would take 2 days.  I think you could probably be a little more flexible.

• Options

imagebebe11:
    It only took me 30 minutes to go to Staples and pick up school supplies.  I really can't imagine it would take 2 days.  I think you could probably be a little more flexible.

I don't know the whole situation, but I agree with PP.

Does she need to go with you to get school supplies? If so, how long does it take.

Yes, I think you are being unreasonable. Let the kid go. Let her have a good time.

Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill, because when you get a mountain you wont know what to do with it. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree too.  School supply shopping doesn't honestly take that long and there isn't any reason that the kid HAS to go, you can pick out the supplies for her.  I say let her go on Thursday, get your shopping done Wednesday and be done with it.
  • Options
    She's 14...she wants to pick out her own school supplies and school clothes.  It's not just for school supplies it's for clothes as well.  Ever go clothes shopping with an indecisive 14 year old and it turns into a whole day event and with our work schedules we only have the evening after work/dinner to do it.  BM actually came over tonight because she was in the area and we compromised.  We are always very flexible with her and try to meet in the middle if other options don't work trust me.  We offered her a few other scenerios to be flexible with her and asked her if she could do it on Friday and she could pick her up anytime.  She agreed and and my sister is dropping her off in the early afternoon.  
  • Options
    I did not read your entire post b/c it was too long and no paragraphs with font that was hard to read.  But, it sounds like you are trying to be difficult, if you did not want to let the kid go then fine but just call back the parent and be done with it.  You are annoyed that she kept calling but if only you took 2 minutes to deal with it the first day she would not have called during your kid's birthday party.  Let the kid go to the fair, it is about the kid and only a few hours.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Options

If she gave you two days and asked which worked better then no you are not being unreasonable.

But at the same time you can knock out BTS shopping in one day. They do not need a whole new wardrobe to star school in. Pick out an outfit or two when you go out shopping and take her shopping again later after school starts.

~Amy
  • Options
    imageballmom:

If she gave you two days and asked which worked better then no you are not being unreasonable.

But at the same time you can knock out BTS shopping in one day. They do not need a whole new wardrobe to star school in. Pick out an outfit or two when you go out shopping and take her shopping again later after school starts.

This.

Also, i feel like you were TRYING to be difficult by not just deciding and calling her back right away.  She called you two days in a row, I'm sure somewhere in that 48 hours you had time to check a dang calendar!  Plus, she's asking for time for THIS week, how do you not know your schedule for the week ahead of you?

If we had the same situation happen in our family and BM called on a Friday DH would've said "Hang on a sec, let me check with Jessys_Girl to make sure, but that sounds like Monday would work best for us"....he'd put the phone on hold, double check with me, I'd say "Yeah, Monday's better because we have to go BTS shopping" and then he'd tell her, ON THE SPOT an answer so that everyone could make plans.  By delaying calling her back for several days, you pushed her and her FIL into having to decide on a day without your input, and then were peeved that they day they decided on didn't work for you!

And also, you say "oh we just got the school supply list just now", regardless, you knew you'd NEED to go shopping, whether or not you knew what items you were going to buy you were aware that you would need to go...so you knew your schedule and intentionally made it difficult for her to make plans with her child.

• Options
    You are being difficult.  It takes 15 minutes to buy school supplies.
  • Options

Is there a reasonable explanation for waiting so long to return her call? When someone is making plans (especially w/ kids!) and you wait that long to get back to her, you help create this kind of problem. 

my read shelf:
    Erin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options

imagebebe11:

I guess I've missed seeing the shoes, clothes, backpacks, lunchbox and water bottle sections of Staples. 

I think two days is pretty short to get everything done!  But, I agree, it seems you could be a little more flexible on your timeline, though I know how I feel with only a few days to go until school starts, and they've got all the winter boots and coats out, now, too.

Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • Options
    Littlejen22 Like I said...we were not home when her BF called us and we did not return home until around 10:30 p.m. that night.  We were not sure what the calender looked like as the school had some back to school events going on so we were not going to say yes/no either way until we figured it out.  The next day we were literally dealing with BDay party stuff all day and had guests all day and BM knew this and we were not going to take away from our guests when she called and she should have respected that as well...which is why I answered the phone when she called later on and told her we would get back to her after we looked at the calender just so she knew we were not blowing her off.  I left her a few messages on Saturday and one on Sunday letting her know Monday was the best day and she never got back to us until Monday night and she said Monday would not work and Thursday would...well sorry, these are the options you gave us and this is what worked.  Then I called her back and she did not answer so I had to leave her another message.  I was annoyed yesterday because she kept calling me and I was at work and I could not deal with her because I just started a new job and have been training etc.  She did not want my SD for a few hours (which is what we tried to compromise) she wanted her all day and then through the weekend (Labor Day) which is her weekend anyway but she wanted two extra days which is why we gave the option of picking her up early Friday to go instead or having her home on Thursday so we could get these things done in the evening.  Without knowing the history of us yes, it would appear that we are being difficult and I will say, with some degree.  In any event, she came over, we resolved the problem and all is fair.
  • Options
    imagefellesferie:

Is there a reasonable explanation for waiting so long to return her call? When someone is making plans (especially w/ kids!) and you wait that long to get back to her, you help create this kind of problem. 

I really don't think so.  It would have been one thing to give us a week notice but only 2 days....really.  We had planned to call her later on the next evening...like I said we didn't get home the night they called until 10:30 p.m. (they called at 7:30 p.m.). We planned to call her back the next evening.

• Options
    imagewendilea:

Why are you in the middle of this?  Your DH should be dealing with his ex and figuring out visitation, not you calling/getting called by BM repeatedly to set it up.

And I agree with PP, you're being obnoxious - BTS shopping doesn't need to be a 2 day affair.  Sounds like a good old fashioned power struggle to me.

It's mostly her thinking she can get her way all the time.  Again, she gave us two options, we picked the option that was best for us because that's what she asked and it apparently wasn't what she wanted and whatever.  And who's business is it who deals with BM in setting up visitation?  I know I am not the only SM that does.  WE all work together as a team.  Her BF called my husband first...not that that means anything but we all have to raise this child so we all have to get along.  Most the time we do.  She came over to the house last night to discuss options and we sat out there and BS'd for 30 minutes.  

It's always been this way..  We are all ok with it so who cares!  BM calls me, textss to me, emails me etc. all the time. she also talks to DH, but most the time if she tries calling during the day...which doesn't happen often, just every now and then I am available...DH isn't because he works in a "dungeon" but I just started this new job and was in training so I couldn't. Like I said most the time it's not an issue but things didn't work out this time.   Like I said, it was all resolved so who cares at that point.  She rearranged something to make it work.  BM said that she was only available on Thursday because she was doing back to school stuff the rest of the week too so tell me again how many days it should take?...and she doesn't work.  My husband and I both don't get home until late then there is dinner, dealing with the baby etc...so we have to plan it.  I can't take time off because I just started a new job and H has to use his last few days for his sisters wedding so this is all we have.  SD has also had bts orientations and other things to get ready (starting 9th grade) a few evenings (this week and last). 

• Options
    imageJessys_Girl:
    imageballmom:

This.

Also, i feel like you were TRYING to be difficult by not just deciding and calling her back right away.  She called you two days in a row, I'm sure somewhere in that 48 hours you had time to check a dang calendar!  Plus, she's asking for time for THIS week, how do you not know your schedule for the week ahead of you?

If we had the same situation happen in our family and BM called on a Friday DH would've said "Hang on a sec, let me check with Jessys_Girl to make sure, but that sounds like Monday would work best for us"....he'd put the phone on hold, double check with me, I'd say "Yeah, Monday's better because we have to go BTS shopping" and then he'd tell her, ON THE SPOT an answer so that everyone could make plans.  By delaying calling her back for several days, you pushed her and her FIL into having to decide on a day without your input, and then were peeved that they day they decided on didn't work for you!

And also, you say "oh we just got the school supply list just now", regardless, you knew you'd NEED to go shopping, whether or not you knew what items you were going to buy you were aware that you would need to go...so you knew your schedule and intentionally made it difficult for her to make plans with her child.

Like I said we were not home at the time of the call and I wasn't sure what the back to school schedule was as far as her events at the school and what the times were.  I knew there were a few but I just put them on the calender a month ago so I wasn't sure off hand.  We got home at like 10:30 that night and went straight to bed and knew we would not have a chance to call them back until later and DH told them we were out and would not get back to them until later on the next day...  We did not delay calling them back.  I made contact with her on Saturday evening letting like 30 minutes after she called the 2nd time letting her know that Monday was better and tried to make contact with her again on Sunday with no answer from her until she called back on Monday.  We didn't push them into deciding anything..  The chose two days we picked one in a reasonable amount of time..my guess is in the end BM wasn't happy with that so got all pissy...regardless of any excuse, that's what we decided would be best because of the school activities etc. 

• Options

To each there own.  I didn't deal with BM in the beginning but believe it or not we do have a good relationship.  We have had our differences but her daughter lives with us full time and we are connected by our children for life so we get along.  Normally things go pretty smoothly.  In the time we have been doing this, this is one of maybe a few that there have been a disagreement.  We are always really flexible and give her extra time when it allows...it didn't work out the best time given the circumstances and timing.  I didn't say she has to be right and I am not trying to make her wrong.  It's definitely easier when there is no conflict.  I said she wants to get her way and if she doesn't get her way then...well...it's the wrong way.  She gave us two options we gave her what was best for us, she didn't like that so it makes me wonder why that was even an option then and she wanted us to change our mind.  Our worlds don't always revolve around hers and we do have stuff going on.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"