Special Needs
Options

If you had a CVS or amnio in the past....

Did it hurt?

How many weeks along were you?

What did the doctors say the risk of miscarriage and/or damage to you/fetus was?

No, I'm not pregnant, just trying to educate myself... I never had anything with Jacob.

Thanks!

image Aiden Jude is on his way! Pregnancy Ticker

Re: If you had a CVS or amnio in the past....

• Options

I had the CVS procedure done with both DD's, and will with any future pregnancies also.

Yes, it does hurt, but it is not unbearable.  Mostly uncomfortable, crampy, with a twinge here or there.

They said the risk of m/c or infection is low.  Like 1 in 100 or 200 or something like that.  I haven't had any issues with either of the ones that I have had done.  Mild cramping and spotting for a few days and then nothing after that.

The wait for the results is the longest wait ever though. 

ETA: I was between 10.5 and 12 weeks along.

Good luck!

imageimageimageimageimage 9/07 m/c baby boy @ 18wks, 4/09 m/c @ 4.5wks
  • Options
    I had the CVS after DS's NT came back 1 in 3 for a problem.  I would do it again, though he turned out not to have any genetic issues.  It was painless, and I did not have any issues, though I did rest for 48 hours after.  For me, the not knowing was much worse than the test.  The risk where I did it was stated as 1 in 200.  I went to a place where that is all they do. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

CVS at 11.5 weeks.  Oh, it hurt! 

With my doctor, the odds of miscarriage were 1/200.  Around 1/10 for Down syndrome, so we wanted to know instead of waiting for 7 months.  Glad we knew when we did, because she needed surgery at birth!

Megan

Megan Mommy to Ellie 3/11 (Down syndrome, AVSD, duodenal atresia) www.little-miss-stubborn.blogspot.com
  • Options

I had an amnio at I think 18 weeks.  DS had two soft markers for down syndrome.  It did hurt but it wasn't terrible.  The worst part was when the needle pops through your uterus.  It feels really weird.

I can't remember what the risks were but it was pretty low or I wouldn't have done it.  I remember reading that if you have it done by someone who does it regularly the risk is much lower than the national average.

• Options
    I had an amnio done at 19 weeks to check for down's due to LO's diagnoses of spina bifida they found other indications he could possibly have downs as well. It did in fact hurt a lot, I was without my FI and had my 19 month old with me so I was completely stressed to have to do this invasive procedure alone. My risks I was told were 1/350 and I had to sign a waiver.
    pregnancy due date Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Mine did hurt because my uterus decided to cramp. It was over pretty quickly, though. Risk of miscarriage for our practice was 1/250, I think. We were 11 or 11 1/2 weeks. 
    Married 4/12/08 DS born 11/17/2009 via c-section at 39 weeks. 11/12/2011 BFP #2!! m/c 7w5d. 2/28/2012 BFP #3 Beta #1-12dpo = 18; Beta #2-16dpo = 185; Beta #3-18dpo = 505. EDD 11/10/2012. Ectopic discovered at 5w4d. D&C followed by methotrexate.
  • Options

Mine was about the same as a regular vag exam, except they shined a bright light at my crotch, and I felt like I was tanning my hooha.  It also lasted longer than just a pap, so I got to have the stirrups joy for a good 10 min or so, while they took a sample, looked at it, came back and took another one, etc.

I had no side effects.  My docs (specialty clinic at the U) had much better m/c stats than the generally published ones.  

We were looking for a specific genetic condition, as well as doing the other general testing while we were at it.  So we didnt try to do the early DS results thingy.  It took 1-2 weeks to get results.  The highlight for me (go ahead and call me shallow) was that I got to find out the gender super early, lol.  Might as well look at the bright side! 

• Options
    Thanks for all the personal stories! You guys helped a lot!
    image Aiden Jude is on his way! Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

B/c of Calebs DX I had a CVS when I was pg with Brielle. I couldnt do it again, not knowing if anything was wrong until the birth.

I had it done around 15/16 weeks. It wasnt THAT bad. No its not something I would want done on a daily basis but it was tolerable.

• Options

I had an amnio at 21 weeks i believe, the bast way to describe it would be like a bee sting just a little more intense. turns out my DS has downs but i was happier knowing and educating myself before birth so i could confront my emotions. im gad i did.

• Options

Lurking, but having had an amnio I wanted to chime in

Did it hurt? The needle prick was pretty notable, but otherwise the scariest part of the actual proceedure was looking at the u/s screen and seeing a needle so close to LO.

How many weeks along were you? 17w

What did the doctors say the risk of miscarriage and/or damage to you/fetus was? I was told the risk for m/c was 1:400 (my risk of DS was 1:10)

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"