Washington Babies
Options

Neighborhood cats...

Is there anyway to keep cats out of your yard? 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Neighborhood cats...

• Options
    Get a dogStick out tongue.
  • Options

imagecoribecca:
    Get a dogStick out tongue.

We have one. She barks up a storm, and they just watch her from our flower beds, front porch chairs, etc.  It's driving me crazy.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    DH has a bb gun. Not to kill them, but it certainly freaks them out.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers photo
  • Options
    I throw rocks at them. I know, I am horrid... but I HATE cats. Plus they make my dogs bark.
  • Options

I've been dealing with cats leaving crap on my property for years! (There are stray cats in the neighbor's overgrown yard, she feeds them, and they keep having kittens and I keep trapping them and bringing them to PAWS in Lynnwood).

I have a 125 lb dog who chases them and they still don't stay away. The thing that worked the best at keeping them from pooping in the landscaping was to use river rock around the plants. I tried bark and gravel and that didn't work. I've considered getting those pigeon spikes to put on the fence corners so they can't hop over, but I don't want to hurt squirrels and other creatures in the process. You can borrow my cat trap if you want.

• Options
    Not that I know of.. I totally feel your pain.  Our yard and flowerbeds are the neighborhood litterbox, I think.  And we have 3 dogs.
  • Options
    Try citrus peels. :)

image Visit The Nest!

• Options
    Bounce dryer sheets. Hang them strategically around your yard. The oleander in the sheets is a natural repellant to cats. Deer too.
  • Options

imagehepcats:
    Bounce dryer sheets. Hang them strategically around your yard. The oleander in the sheets is a natural repellant to cats. Deer too.

ooh deer too????   I need to do that to keep the deer out.  They have chomped so much of my stuff! 

• Options
    imageSeattle_JiLLn:

imagehepcats:

ooh deer too????   I need to do that to keep the deer out.  They have chomped so much of my stuff! 

Yup! You can also (for deer) tie torn up black garbage bags to the tops of the posts. the flapping in the wind helps keep them out because they're scared. Keeps away birds too.

• Options
    imageMSTie24:
    Try citrus peels. :)
    I've heard they are repelled by orange EO... i always forget to try it, though.
    Boy 10.6.13
    Labored at freestanding birth center using hypnobirthing techniques
    Delivered via csection
  • Options

I read once that certain ground covers are good deterants for cats. 

https://www.care2.com/greenliving/keeping-cats-out-of-the-garden.html

I like #5.  Sorry they are causing you so much grief.  Sad

~Susan Mommy to H 08.07.06, and G 10.11.08, m/c(d&c) 08.10.05 13wks image
    NestBaby Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My Pregnancy blog
  • Options
    I heard lavender or coffee grounds but my mom who is a master garden says Blood meal.  So We are trying that. Just put it down this weekend.  We will see.
    Photobucket
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Argh, please don't use a bbgun. Bb's can get lodged and *can* hurt people and cats.
  • Options

imagekoosh ball:
    Argh, please don't use a bbgun. Bb's can get lodged and *can* hurt people and cats.

I had missed this and totally agree - we see LOTS of cats with bbs in them on xrays.

• Options
    imageChristineVet:

imagekoosh ball:

I had missed this and totally agree - we see LOTS of cats with bbs in them on xrays.

I dont have a BB gun, I dont allow guns of any sort in my house... BUT I think that people should keep their damn cats in their house! Or dont have them. I know for a fact that if I let my dogs run free, they would be picked up by and taken away. Why not the same for cats?

• Options

Cats shouldn't be allowed to roam free - is it legal in Seattle for cats to roam? I mean, even if you don't care about your neighbours, what about the cat? Cats don't look both ways before crossing the street (and it's pretty horrifying to witness some one's pet Fluffy die a painful death after being hit by a car) or hold up well against other animals. Not to mention surviving people shooting them with BB guns (I had no idea!) or poisoning them.

I'd never let my dog roam the neighbourhood for others to deal with.

You can get motion activated sprinklers, apparently. If you knew where the cats were coming in from, set one up there. Doesn't hurt but will defintiely deter the majority of cats!

imageChristineVet:

imagekoosh ball:

That's creepy - people really do that?

• Options

Ugh! We have a few neighborhood cats that treat our garden and area behind our garage as if it were their own personal litter box. We have a dog, and before I'm able to catch her she goes and gobbles up the little "treasures" left by the neighborhood cats. I'll have to try a few of these suggestions!

Nicole 32| Julian 29
    Cooper: 11/20/11
    Julian: EDD 8/1/16
    PCOS & Endo. w/ DOR

• Options

We got cat repellant at the feed store - it worked okay, but smelled wretched.  And the neighbor cats poop in the garden right in front of our door, so I didn't enjoy smelling it every time I walked out [it was worse than the poo smell]

Cayenne pepper worked great, but you have to reapply a ton.  We have a beauty barked flowerbed, so it didn't stand out much.  It may work if your neighbor cats aren't persistent!

Our neighbor cats terrorize our house cats through the windows and crap all over our flower beds, so we've tried a lot of things.  The best was when we rigged our sprinkler to the inside of the house and pulled the cord every time the cat was fighting at the window...but then they moved to another window :(

J + J = K image Photo by J. Shelton Photography Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"