Another BF Question — The Bump
Atlanta Babies

Another BF Question

Did any BF Mamas notice a supply drop around the 6 month mark?

I did not quite make it this far with Cadence so I am not sure what to expect. I feel like my supply is beginning to drop. TMI- I am not as full in the mornings and I don't pump as much on the days I work. 

We began introducing solid food slowly at 4 months and now he has 1 good sized meal and 1 snack each day. Is it normal that my supply would go down because he is eating solids?

I'm not sure if my body just gives up on producing milk around 6 months or if this is a normal thing. I know everyone is different but I would like to hear what your experience has been if you don't mind sharing.

Pregnancy Ticker

DD- 9
DS-6
c/p- April 2016
missed m/c- 6w5d; discovered 8w2d- September 2016

Re: Another BF Question

• Does your LO seem hungry or frustrated?  If not, I would talk to your pediatrician because he may just be taking in more milk at fewer feedings. 

We started Alice on solids at 6 months, and by 7 months when she was really getting the hang of them (and enjoying them!) my supply definitely dipped.  Alice also stopped taking one of her bottles of breastmilk around that same time (I work full time).  The pediatrician said that it was ok to follow her lead (her growth is right on track), so that's what we did. 

My supply seems to be dipping again now at 9 months, but again the pedi said it was ok - now she only nurses 3 times a day (in the morning before her breakfast, when I get home from work before her dinner, and then again before bed).  I was so worried that it wasn't enough, but she really doesn't seem interested, even when I'm home with her all day so I'm doing my best to follow her cues on it.  I'll be interested to hear what others have to say.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • At 5-6 mos I noticed exactly what you are describing.  I didn't feel full anymore- like even after 12 hours.  And she was finished super fast- 5 minutes sometimes and that was both sides.  But she seems satisfied so I chalked it up to my body regulating itself more and her getting way more efficient.  Keep going and don't stress about it- you're doing great!

• Loading the player...
  • Same thing happened around to me around that time. My body was just regulating. As long as he seems satisfied after/during BFing, you're good.
    Abigail Taylor 09.18.2008

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • He does scream sometimes after he finishes on one side, but after I give him the other one he seems fine. So, I think it is just impatience.

He has his well check on Friday. After what you ladies have said, as long as he is staying on his growth curve, I will feel OK about this.

Pregnancy Ticker

DD- 9
    DS-6
    c/p- April 2016
    missed m/c- 6w5d; discovered 8w2d- September 2016

• Same thing has happened to me with both Lauren and Ryan. I think it's because your body becomes better at regulating the milk supply and they become more efficient nursers.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards