St. Louis Babies
Options

Flu Vaccine Study at SLU

Hi Ladies,

SLU Hospital Research is doing a Flu Vaccine study for breastfeeding mommas. I'll paste the info below.  I had my baby over 120 days ago, so I'm not eligible, otherwise I would do it. I did the Flu Vaccine study when I was pregnant, and I wish I could do this study as well.  All they do is give you the vaccine, and take blood samples. Then you get paid $$ to talk to them on the phone. So easy! I just wanted to pass this along to anyone who might be interested.

Saint Louis University Center for Vaccine Development is conducting an investigational flu vaccine study for post-partum women who are breastfeeding.

There are several vaccines licensed to prevent influenza and in this study we will be evaluating two of them. One is FluMist?, which contains live attenuated (weakened) influenza virus (LAIV) and is given into the nose as a spray.  The other is Fluzone? which contains killed influenza virus and is given as a shot into the muscle. Both vaccines are licensed by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and have been used for many years in adults who are not pregnant.  However, there is not a lot of documented experience in women who are breastfeeding.  The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) recommends either of the vaccines for women who are not pregnant including breastfeeding women.

The purpose of this research study is to help us to learn more about the safety of FluMist? and Fluzone? in mothers and their infants when given to women who are breastfeeding. Also, the study will compare the protective response (antibodies or proteins that help protect against infection) in the breast milk and blood after FluMist? or Fluzone? have been given to breastfeeding women.  This study will also help us learn if the weakened virus from FluMist? can be found in breast milk and whether it is passed to the infant. 

Important points regarding the study:
To be eligible, you must be healthy, 18-49 years of age, and have delivered an infant in the past 28-120 days.
You must be planning to breastfeed for at least 28 days after receiving the study vaccine.  Breast milk must be at least one half of the source of your infant?s feeding. 
You must not have been vaccinated with a seasonal 2011-2012 flu vaccine.
As part of the study, you will receive a licensed 2011-2012 influenza vaccine.
Study participation involves about 4 visits and 3 phone calls over about 6 months.You will be paid $75 per clinic visit and $10 per phone visits.

To learn more: Please refer to Study # 280.?         314-977-6333 or 1-866-410-6333 (toll free)
?          vaccine@slu.edu  
?          https://vaccine.slu.edu

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Flu Vaccine Study at SLU

• Options
    Thanks for sharing! I'm not due for a few more months, otherwise I'd do it!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Check and see if they are still doing the pregnancy flu shot study! When I went for my ob/gyn check up at the beginning of the month the sign was still up. It pays the same and there is no risk and minimal effort. Sad I had my baby more than 120 days ago (jeez, time flew!) and I can't do this one too. HTH!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"