Two Under 2

First Trimester of #2

I do not want to sound like I am complaining - I am ridiculously excited to be expecting again but 1st trimester tiredness has hit me like a sledgehammer today and DS is on the go constantly - he got up at 5:15 and has only taken a 40 minute nap!

Anyone have any advice of how to get through 1st trimester without loosing their mind?  Or is the advice "suck it up, you chose this"?  I am presuming that I need to suck it up :)

Re: First Trimester of #2

• jgoojgoo member

Pepsi.

I followed every single rule with my first pregnancy. But I just could NOT get through my second, while chasing my DS around, without a little caffeine. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I understand 10000%.  I am finally starting to get some energy back. 

Before I got pregnant, we were a barely, any television household.  Then, I got hit with extreme morning sickness on top of the fatigue.  On my really bad days, I set up a baby safe zone and put on a DVD, so that I could lay on the couch while he played.  It was that or he was going to be hanging out in the bathroom with me all day.  Lesser of two evils?  Enh.     

We also read a lot more books, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.  I just tried to squeeze even more in than usual, so that I wasn't chasing him around as much. 

He now has quiet time in his crib, even if he is resisting a nap.  He'll crawl around, play with his stuffed animals, talk to himself and then drift off 20 mins later.  I've found that if given the option, he wouldn't take a single nap and then, he will melt down completely.  This way, he calms himself down without extra stimulus and gets the rest that he needs.  Plus I get the rest that I need.     

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Hey  Ladies,

I am in the same boat with an 11 month old and one on the way. I just recently found out that I am about 7 weeks along and although this wasent planned and a little bit of bad timing to say the least we are doing the best we can to make it through. I however am tired ALL the time and feel like I have been run ofver by an 18 wheeler truck most days unable to keep hardly anything down with cramps and pains and constipation that will not subside. This is completely different from my 1st pregnancy as it seemed to be a breeze compared to this with hardly any symptoms at all. I am currently in medical school full time and come home to my household and baby duties leaving me BEAT by the end of the day mentally, emotionally and physically. I guess I am not sure what kind of advice to offer as I could use some myself but just want to let you know that you are not alone in your struggles and to have faith that this to shall pass!

Take Care

Amanda

"It's better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what your not"
  • Coke has been getting me through!

I never drank caffeine with my DD, so I feel a little guilty doing it with DS, but it's seriously the only way to make it through a day sometimes. The second trimester is so much better, though! But then the 3rd kicks your butt again. I can't wait to not be pregnant so I can play and have fun with my DD (and DS) on a regular basis and not just when I get spurts of energy. Good luck! And you really do just get through it...  

SAHM to the sweetest little girl and boy... I love my job!

Praying for Baby Camryn
    Praying for Baby Scarlett
    Remembering Baby Adam
  • Last year, medical professionals in the OB field declared that some caffeine was PERFECTLY FINE during pregnancy - I believe up to 200 mg per day?  Drink up!

Absolutely nap when your child naps - That was the only way I made it through, I was SO stinking tired.  It really sucks.  I was tired throughout the pregnancy and my energy flooded back as soon as I delivered. 

• Diet Coke and cartoons.  Seriously.  That's the only way I made it through the first trimester with #2. 

This go around my body must be so used to getting by on no sleep that I haven't noticed the exhaustion at all.  Then again my baby still wakes up 2-4 times a night!

It will be over soon and you will feel great in the second tri and all will be well again!

• I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I work full time and then come home and have to chase my 10 month old around and deal with "morning (ha!) sickness" on top of it all!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Anniversary
  • Thank you so much ladies for your support and suggestions.  I am sorry for all of you going through a similar experience at the moment but with m/s thrown in too - I am counting my blessings that I only have waves of nausea.  I have my coffee on the go at the moment :)
  • I hated the first 16 weeks of my pg with DD. I was so sick and tired, but the great thing was that he was so little he didnt have a clue if I went a threw up and came back smiling. I could stick him in hs crib or pnp and he was fine. He was not walking until I started to feel better. It was great it worked out that way. 

Sleep helps for the sickness. I would go to bed asap after he went down and I got a few things done. Mainly it was survival mode, as was the weeks after DD's birth. You'll get through it. Sleep, drink a little caffeine, drink enough water and try and eat energy foods...if you can. And give yourself a break...TV is fine, and since your LO is so little, they are happy doing silly things and not wanting to get out all the time.  

• Many days of the first trimester I lied on the couch and did my best to be entertaining from there. I was so sick and tired. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sesame Street, Super Why, and Coke.  I'm so glad to see so many mamas like me b/c I feel so guilty when I grab a coke, but it helps with the tiredness, headaches, and m/s.  I try not to do it every day, but it ends up happening about once a day. 

DH works out of town during the week so J and I would do chores together a lot.  He played on pots and pans while I cooked and did dishes, he "helped" fold the laundry, etc.  That way I could go to sleep about an hour (after picking up his toys and sweeping) after he did.  

I'm talking in past tense but 2nd tri hasn't been a whole lot better to me and I do a lot of this still.  

Weekends however DH takes either saturday or sunday morning and lets me sleep as long as I want.   

Image and video hosting by TinyPic baby baby
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"