Pregnant after IF

Are you running while pregnant?

I've been training for a half-marathon in October. I just found out that I'm pregnant last week, and I'm just 4 weeks now. We conceived on an IUI cycle with Femara and Menopur. I asked the RE if I could run during the 2ww and they said it was up to me, but they did not recommend it, because of the possibility of having a cyst rupture (as far as I know, I have not had a cyst before).

I'm wondering if I can start running again this week, making sure not to overexert myself, of course. If you're a runner, what did you do? I think I'd like to run/walk the half-marathon. I'll be 11 weeks then.

Re: Are you running while pregnant?

• I think a lot depends on what your body is used to pre-pregnancy...    My RE said no running/nothing high impact, but my OB was fine with it.    that said, I wasn't a big runner - so I am not running right now.   But I am on the elliptical and am lifting weights/doing strength training. 

However, I have friends who are big runners, and they continue to run throughout their pregnancy and well into the 3rd trimester.    and I knew one girl who continued to train for a marathan and ran the marathon at like 27 weeks pregnant.   

If your RE is worried about cysts...  will you be be getting an early ultrasound at 6ish weeks?    If so, maybe you can do lower impact workouts until then, and have the RE check for any cysts at that ultrasound.  

Brought to you by IVF, ICSI, limited fert, and oocyte cryopreservation.
    Because we're fancy like that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I am paranoid after 2 losses so I stopped running when we started treatment. I will start running again after I give birth. 

I am hoping to walk a 5K for breast cancer that I do every year in October but I am going to see what my RE and OB say before I do that. 

That is just my preference though. I know many people who ran throughout their pregnancy. 

Taking the Scenic Route
    FET: Success! Beta at 14dp5dt: 2427 TWINS!!
  • Loading the player...
  • I ran marathons before starting fertility treatments but have not run since then.  I was just too paranoid.  Lots of people do it though so good luck if you decide to!

Diagnosed PCOS 2/07, TTC #1 since 8/09
    11/10 - Clomid Round 1 = BFN
    12/10 - Clomid Round 2 = BFN
    1/11 - Voluntary Break = BFN (duh)
    2/11 - Clomid Round 3 = BFN
    3/11 - Femara + IUI = BFP * Beta#1=56 * Beta#2=266
    *Cautiously expecting baby girls on November 28, 2011*
    imageimage
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was a avid runner before getting pregnant but was not allowed to run while in the IVF process or during the 2ww and was discouraged from running during the pregnancy. I have really missed it, it will be a full year by the time I am allowed to run again.

I've heard mixed info from doc, some say it's ok and others say no. It depends on you, your body and your doc.

Good luck!

4 Clomid cycles BFN's,3 injectible cycles BFN, 3 failed IUI's
    Hystroscopy to remove cysts 11/2010
    IVF #1 with ICSI Graydon Dane born Oct. 23, 2011 via c-section at 38 weeks.
    Surprise BFP 10/9/12. Blighted ovum at 8wks. D&C 11/1/12.
    Surprise BFP#2 TWINS!!! Boy/Girl twins.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • My RE let me run during treatments and during the 2WW, I never had any issues and ran 10 miles 2 days before my BFP. 

I continued to run about 30 miles per week until 20 weeks and ran a half marathon at 18weeks. I'm 30 weeks now and still run about 20 miles a week. My RE and OB have always been supportive of my running as long as I stayed hydrated, didn't exhaust myself or have any spotting/cramping or over issues because of it.

Its all about listening to your body (and your OB, of course)

GL! 

Dx Anovulatory PCOS Clomid,Ovidrel,TI=BFN IUI#1-#3 Femara,Ovidrel=BFN IUI#4-Gonal F,Ovidrel=BFN IUI#5-Gonal F,Ovidrel= BFP!! Beta #1 11dpIUI=34, Beta #2=131,first u/s 3/14=1 perfect bug with a heartbeat! Anderson Phillip, Born 11/2/11 7lbs 10oz 21in. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I used to run an average of 4-6 mi 3x/ week, but gave it up when going through fertility treatments, based on the RE's recommendation.  I miss it.

I personally would follow the RE's advice (I obviously did), but I also think you know your body more than anyone else. I do know other people who didn't go through IF treatments who have run through a good part of their pregnancies with no problems. The main thing I'd be concerned about right now is the heat -- I walk frequently now, and the RE said just to be sure not to become overheated.  (And I live in the same part of the country you do.).  :)  

On a TTC journey since March 2010 that is making me more appreciative of life and love. 7/20 -- Surprise phone call from RE after lap pre-op appt-- BFP! 8/5 -- Ultrasound #1 8/12 -- Ultrasound #2 Pregnancy Ticker My Imperfect Pursuit of Gardening
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"